On board lift system

Southwind

Reaction score
Does anyone use the Sea Leg system for their pontoons? This system attaches to the bottom of tour pontoon. I just bought a 20' SLXM with a70 hp Yamaha. Let me know...

Yes, however I removed them due to drag when loaded up. Great concept, but to much weight!!

I have a 2007 22 foot bennington and had Sea Leggs installed when I bought the pontoon. I had an issue with them the second year but it was dealer installation problem. The dealer

had ran the electrical cables going to the pump around a sharp edge under the pontoon and vibration caused a short to the hot lead. I took care of the problem by running both of

the cables thru a heavy washing machine discharge hose and  securing the cables with nylon tie wraps - problem solved.

I have not had any issues with the operation of the Sea Leggs in seven years and no maintenance problems at all.  Very good product.

I use the pontoon on a lake in northern Minnesota and am on the East side of the lake that gets the brunt of the wind and we get waves as high as two and half and almost three feet

during heavy storms which, had blown apart sections of old wooden docks, but did not have any effect on the pontoon. I park the pontoon straight into the beach and raise the back legs

first and then unload the boat and then raise the front legs. I have left the pontoon sitting there for over two weeks at a time and have no problem launching the boat when I have come

back however if the lake level drops due to heat and lack of rain you can kind of get hung up on the sand.

The only caution I will give is don't put the legs down in heavy weeds. I did it once and had to run the motor at 4000 rpm in reverse while activating the Sea Leggs to pull out of the weeds.

I don't have a slip on a dock but three others pontoons with Sea Leggs have slips and have had no issues with them. Remember to that the depth of the water you want to use them in is

an important factor. Yea they add some weight to the pontoon but I have had my 22 foot with a 115 hp up to 23 mph by GPS so for me it is not an issue.

The only other consideration is what kind of trailer you plan on using. Would not want to use a cantilever type as there would only be four points of contact because the swish plates on the bottom of the legs sit below all of the cross rails on the decking of the boat.

below all of the  

I have a 22 bennington with a 90 hp yamaha, with sea legs. It's the only way to go. My old pontoon, I had on a lift, what a pain every year putting it in & out. You won't regret butting sea- legs on!

Thanks for the replies.  We live on the backwater of the Mississippi River.  Our lake is sand bottom.  We do weed up in the summer, but they aren't a big problem.  We hope to use the pontoon on the river and land at sand dunes.  My local dealer said they would work great for that use.  I'm tired of the old lift and the damage it does to the pontoon boats.  It's always hard to dock with any wind at all.  I'm still not sure if I want to make the investment and then have issues.  Again, thanks for the replies.

Back