Online Boaters Safety Courses

Baroda5

Reaction score
I'm sorry if this is old news or in the wrong place, but I just found out that Michigan has approved two online courses so you do not have to spend an entire day at a proctored exam!!

I took it 20+ years ago, but my young bride has been skating the law every year on our Jet Skies. Mainly because the courses were few and far between.

Check out your state and make sure they qualify.

http://www.boaterexam.com/usa/michigan/

http://www.boat-ed.com/michigan/

You mean "breaking" the law ??

There's no excuse for driving ANYTHING without a proper license or training if required.

I took the course in Pa online just in case I ever got a jet ski, but also to ensure I knew the proper rules and regulations when boating.

I took boaters safety last year as we bought a jet ski. Now I'm a water rules Nazi. Safety first!

We occasionally have non-laker/non-boater friends who visit and predictably ask to "take the Seadoo out for a spin" because of course they do it all the time on vacation or a cruise. Our Seadoo is a supercharged 4-stroke and easily nudges 60+ mph. If they don't have a card, I keep a slip of paper at the ready with 5 VERY basic questions about the rules of the (water) road. I tell them if they get 4 of 5 and agree to be self insured, they're good to go. I can only recall 2 times when the person got more than 3 right. One of them was a model pilot and even brought it back full of gas. The other apparently ran it through 2 feet of water, sucked sand and rocks through the pump and ruined the plastic wear ring to the tune of about $300 on my tab. At least no one got hurt.

Was the first question "what does no wake mean" cause the jet skiers at the river we use to boat at sure as heck did not know..... use to drive me nuts .... I like my 20hp lake better .... :)

Was the first question "what does no wake mean" cause the jet skiers at the river we use to boat at sure as heck did not know..... use to drive me nuts .... I like my 20hp lake better .... :)
Actually yes. My main concern is proximity to other boats. They need to know the correct way to leave shore through the buoys (perpendicular), wake crossing rules (don't), right of way, etc. Very basic stuff.

It's a small residential lake where everyone pretty much knows everyone and their boats. When someone in my boat screws up, including me, I hear about it sooner or later. I've already heard someone's comment about "who's that guy ripping down the lake in the tri-toon with the big merc on the back?" LOL.

The boat-ed course is pretty good and state-specific. I went through all the practice tests but am too cheap to actually pay for the certificate. However, I feel "certified". Of course, I'm grandfathered in and don't need to have one. I like Tom's idea of having to pass the test. I've had a few friends and family take out my 2011 Yamaha VXR and have been biting my nails the whole time. We have some shallow areas on the lake and, even though I've pointed them out during the required booze cruise, the newbies have still managed to find them. Luckily, they've been going fast enough over them as to avoid sucking anything up. It's gonna be a while before I let anyone drive this new boat, I can tell you that much (well, okay, maybe the wife, but not yet). Actually, I was somewhat of a wake-jumper but was careful to stay way back. I'll stay back a little farther now after taking the course...I mean to where it's hardly even someone's wake anymore.

You mean "breaking" the law ??

There's no excuse for driving ANYTHING without a proper license or training if required.

I took the course in Pa online just in case I ever got a jet ski, but also to ensure I knew the proper rules and regulations when boating.
I wouldn't say she's been without "Training", we are by far the most conscientious about safety and abiding by the rules of the water on our little 100 acre lake. But this certificate is mandatory because, "Those born on or before December 31, 1978, may operate a PWC legally without restrictions." and her May 1979 birthdate makes her non grandfathered. The proctored class was offered yesterday, Thursday, from 9:00am to 3:00pm, not exactly the best time for anyone with a full time job.

And if you consider the volunteer teenagers with a patch that we get on our lake issued by the Sherrif's department, the LAW, then I believe true Police Officers would take great offense to that. These volunteers, ran into my Tige when it was only 1 year old, because they didn't know the correct hours on our lake for skiing and no wake. When I stopped, they came in too fast, and t-boned my boat.....I was less than happy. The Sheriff asked me to forgive them because "it's really hard to find summer help".

My true belief is all Jet Skies should be stand ups, not 100hp rockets that anyone can ride, wheres the skill in that :p

Your state doesn't offer online courses? I think EVERY state should offer it. I agree that the times are not real conducive to your schedule, BUT, days, weeks, months in the hospital are not either, or worse yet, a funeral. Don't get me wrong, I'm not pointing a finger at you, I'M POINTING IT AT EVERYONE. GET SAFETY TRAINING, see post above from jsfb6pts for an online course.

Be safe out there !!!

Your state doesn't offer online courses? I think EVERY state should offer it. I agree that the times are not real conducive to your schedule, BUT, days, weeks, months in the hospital are not either, or worse yet, a funeral. Don't get me wrong, I'm not pointing a finger at you, I'M POINTING IT AT EVERYONE. GET SAFETY TRAINING, see post above from jsfb6pts for an online course.

Be safe out there !!!
Michigan ,Does offer an online safety course..

http://www.boat-ed.c...CFY87MgodrSIAQA

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife and I spent a Saturday this winter in a boaters safety course for our CT Safe Boaters Certificates. The course was $90 each, and then $50 each for our State issued certificates. This is a one time mandatory course that anyone who wants to operate a pwc or a vessel over 14 feet must obtain. There is an online version offered but you still have to go and write the exam to be certified. All in all it was informative enough and we got our certificates.

Back