Oodles and oodles of noodles...

kaydano

Reaction score
Just cleaning up in the laundry room today, and I see we have 7 pool noodles. Those things are great when you're floating around in the water, but they're like herding cats in the boat. Actually, they are worse because cats would at least stay in the boat.

Anyone have a good way of keeping them under control while underway? Since ours have to stay with the boat 24x7 during boating season, they are always in the way and I need a better way of dealing with them. I normally wedge them between the captain's chair and the fence, but there's already too many and unless they are stacked just right, they get in the way of the rear gate (which is in the corner on the SSL). I use a couple bungee cords, but like I said, its like herding cats getting them wedged in there just right so the gate will open. Plus we could use a few more, and there just isn't room for any more.

Anyone have a good idea?

Ours are kept in the changing room. Along with the table and porta-pottie.

That's why it's going to nice having the center storage under our center toon.......

Hope you find a good solution.

What about some sort of mesh bag(like those laundry bags) that you could use those removable quick clips/cord hangers to strap it on the front of the boat? If you don't have room inside, sometimes ya gotta think outside the boat! I knownit might look a little funny, but the noodles might be able to be slightly supported by that little ledge there(not that they're heavy, the mesh bag wouldn't catch the wind, it would be accessible from the water, a couple straps around the rail, maybe one to the front hole on the toon so it doesn't bounce up, dunno, I know that all my under seats are full of towels and other things, so other than leaving in the middle of the floor, outside is the only place left!

Last edited by a moderator:
You could use a concrete tube form (things that look like giant toilet paper tubes) cutoff to whatever length you want to "corral" them. You can get them at Home Depot - think they come in 8, 12, and 16 inch diameters. They are substantial enough to last a season even constantly getting wet. You could then stand them upright and secured to somewhere with rope or bungees. Personally we do what "cwag" does,

The double wide rear lounger on the SSL is not big enough for noodle storage, nor is any other "under seat" storage area on our boat. Unfortunately we don't have the center tube storage (which would be great to have).

I did see a mesh bag online somewhere that might be large enough, but it MIGHT be a hassle bagging them up. Who knows. Depends on the bag, I guess. A viable idea...

I like the concrete form idea too... Not quite sure where I'd put that, but it gets the juices flowing...

How about merging the mesh bag and concrete form ideas? I'm thinking something like a giant mesh sock only both ends of the sock would be open? Basically, a tube made out of mesh. A stretchy one that would slip over the group of noodles and keep them together. If the mesh was stretchy, it would make it useable even if we lost a couple noodles...

Although we use the front gate every time we dock, I could tie this off the back fence. Or, if it gets in the way of the boat cover, I might be able to strap it to the ski tow bar...

Excellent ideas guys. Pointed me in the right direction. Anyone seen stretchy mesh netting or material for sale somewhere? Thinking I'd just tie the two sides together to make a tube shaped bag of sorts... Any new thoughts?

I like the "think out of the boat" saying a lot! I will use that one at work.

You could put them under the deck like this clever little invention, an under deck float holder. Scroll to the bottom of the page:

http://www.clarkfloa...m/products.html

We use those 4x4 foam floats for just about everything but they are a pain to handle on board. I strapped them to the top of the bimini because we could only go 18-20mph max on our old toon.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. It hangs kinda low...............

Well, I'll have ESP so not an option here. Just thought it was pretty creative!

As a swimming instructor, I never liked noodles.

My floatie of choice still is a 15" or 16" car/truck inner tube. Carry a valve stem wrench, and the air can be easily deflated for travel. Carry a small 12 volt air pump, and you're in business. Or you can get a bungee cord, and tie the tubes together.

I have been utilizing Velcro straps for noodles and ropes for years........Then just strap them to rails, once done boating, put them away or leave strapped to the rails
I usually keep 3 or 4 deck lines rolled up at my feet, ready to go whenever I might need them, but I like your idea on tying them off to the rail by the captain's chair with some velcro straps. It would keep them organized and out of the way. Probably would make them quicker to get at in an emergency. Thanks! You solved a problem I didn't realize I had yet.

The straps would probably work for the noodles too, but I have so many noodles, gathering them and strapping them isn't the easiest.

You could put them under the deck like this clever little invention, an under deck float holder. Scroll to the bottom of the page:

http://www.clarkfloa...m/products.html

We use those 4x4 foam floats for just about everything but they are a pain to handle on board. I strapped them to the top of the bimini because we could only go 18-20mph max on our old toon.
That's interesting storage, but I have a tritoon as well. One would probably only want to do something like that with a smaller motor on a very calm lake, or like the other guys said, it might catch water, come off, and get in your prop. But I could see it working in certain situations.

Bungies to hold them together and another to strap them to a Bimini upright or some thing similar.

I've seen some people with a netting pocket on the underside of the bimini. This can be used for life vests or in your case noodles. Of course, they would need a new home when the top was folded.

Back