OOOPS

cwag911

Reaction score
Suzi and I went out on the lake for lunch today (added to my tan) B) and on the way back I said, lets go see where Kyle Bush bought his new 13,000 sq.ft, 7.5 mil home. For those of you who don't follow Nascar he drives the #18 M&M's car. So we're putting around where we think the house/mansion is, and I look at the depth and it's 2.5 ft. Start trimming up but I got my first battle scar. Didn't hurt the prop, just paint on the skeg.Could have been worse but if I haven't been somewhere on the lake before I go real slow. The cheesesteak for lunch was good though. :D

Well now you know your "minimum" water depth. :blink:

At least you did not scrap your prop !!!

My skeg remains untouched not scratched, however

bend and scratched my blades in 2.5 waters in sand and small rocks.

Thinking of a ss prop now...Are they alot stronger than aluminum ?

Any suggestions

Ron

BUT, they won't give like aluminum. If you hit rocks with SS it's quite possible to tear up the lower unit. With aluminum the blades will typically sacrifice themselves. If you are not looking for a performance need, I'd stick to alum. if you tend to go in rocky areas. Just my 2 cents ....

Oh yeah and SS is pricey, and from what I've read, more expensive to repair damage.

Last edited by a moderator:
Suzi and I went out on the lake for lunch today (added to my tan) B) and on the way back I said, lets go see where Kyle Bush bought his new 13,000 sq.ft, 7.5 mil home. For those of you who don't follow Nascar he drives the #18 M&M's car. So we're putting around where we think the house/mansion is, and I look at the depth and it's 2.5 ft. Start trimming up but I got my first battle scar. Didn't hurt the prop, just paint on the skeg.Could have been worse but if I haven't been somewhere on the lake before I go real slow. The cheesesteak for lunch was good though. :D
No big deal Carl, just a little paint.............But did the mirror work properly?????? :p

Daril:Yup, the mirror was great! Bamaman: The only problem in repainting is I don't have a trailer, the boat sleeps on the lift. And it won't just sit there all winter. We went out for lunch yesterday and do so during the winter. I'll figure something out. Maybe back the boat in on the lift so I can get to the motor.

Nice thing is that it's aluminum and won't rust. You can address it next year.

I have learned to do lower end maintenance off an inner tube bouncing around in the waves and hanging over the transom pulling carbs/filters, etc. The worse thing is losing a stainless steel bolt in the water--with no replacement.

This time, I got bought a trailer. I brought the boat home yesterday to change the oil and lower unit grease. The maintenance only took 30 minutes.

Back