Outboard care during non use months

Fishmonger

Reaction score
I live in SC and keep our Bennington w/150 Yamaha on a lift but have to head back north for awhile for buisness. When I lived in Mass and had boats I would always winterize due to to freezing temperatures. If I do not plan on running the boat from Sept-April is there anything I need to do to "winterize" or just plan on an a tuneup in the Spring?
Thanks

I live in SC and keep our Bennington w/150 Yamaha on a lift but have to head back north for awhile for buisness. When I lived in Mass and had boats I would always winterize due to to freezing temperatures. If I do not plan on running the boat from Sept-April is there anything I need to do to "winterize" or just plan on an a tuneup in the Spring?
Thanks
I‘m sure others will speak much more authoratively from experience. Minimally I think you would want it as secured as possible from the environment…especially southern bugs, spiders, critters, etc… Maybe discounect battery cables and hook to a trickle charger. Put Seafoam in gas. Oil change and new filter.

Not sure if anything else would be warranted aside from spring tune up and cleaning.

Lower unit oil change a must “just in case” of an unusually cold winter. You don’t want any water that may have made it into lower unit freezing and cracking case.

Thanks for the tips. Bad enough I have to go back up north, don’t want to return to issues when I’m back for vacation

Back