PDB magazine

mtudb24

Reaction score
Anybody see the write up in the 2101 special boat test on the 2575 RCW Limited? Great write up. Bennington performs well and is a top pick. I am suprised though with yammy 250hp SHO that she only hits 45mph runnig a 15.75 x 15 saltwater series II prop. With the ESP package, i thought it might be faster. Anyhow, they give it top marks in all categories. I am proud to own THE best pontoon boat on the market!

Todd

I have that issue, and they have this "see the video" stamp on just about every boat they tested, but when I went to their website, I could not find any videos... Do you know where the test videos are?

After buying my first pontoon last month [can't wait for spring my first ride] I started a subscription to PDB, got that issue as my first last Friday. After reading the write up on all the pontoons am glad that I choose Bennington

Last edited by a moderator:
The ESP chassis is not a high speed unit like most tend to think,sure they are fast but it is designed for sporty handling and cornering and great ride, if fast is what you want go express triple tube with full set of strakes or dual elipticle with strakes.

Here is the link to the video:

I was talking to the Bennington rep at the boat show. He said the ESP hull was very impressive in handling, which means they'd be great for the people that pull tubers or skiers. They also are fast with heavy loads, i.e. people.

I want to do long distance cruising on the River, and seldom carry more than 4 to 5 people. I'm sold on the 32" elliptical twin toons with strakes. It'll walk away from the ESP by 3-4 mph, which means it'd be a fast cruiser and more economical on fuel. They'll also carry 1000 lbs. approx. over a standard 25" twin toon boat. Since I don't intend to have a handling machine, I'd like to think I could get away with hydraulic steering on a 150 hp motor--and not have to spend the $2K adding power steering pump to a SeaStar steering.

My two cents....

Twin toons with strakes will be fine, but if you encounter choppy water conditions your are going to wish you had the 3 tubes with the ESP. I have the 2574 GCW with ESP and the Yamaha 200 SHO and will hit about 40mph with a full load. Power steering and hydraulic assist is a must.

I had twin toons on my last toon and didn't like the rockiness during choppy water conditions, and now with the 3 tubes and ESP I fly right over them. You would swear you are in a luxury car on a bumpy road. Never feel anything.

My two cents....

Twin toons with strakes will be fine, but if you encounter choppy water conditions your are going to wish you had the 3 tubes with the ESP. I have the 2574 GCW with ESP and the Yamaha 200 SHO and will hit about 40mph with a full load. Power steering and hydraulic assist is a must.

I had twin toons on my last toon and didn't like the rockiness during choppy water conditions, and now with the 3 tubes and ESP I fly right over them. You would swear you are in a luxury car on a bumpy road. Never feel anything.
I just ordered a G Series 2274 with the Express Performance package, 3 25 inch logs no strakes, 150hp Yamaha with hydraulic/power steering. What sort of speed, handling, towing and hopefully comfort would you expect from such a set-up would you fathom?

TnZombieResponse2__avatar.jpg

Bamama

I have the twin elips with strakes and a 150hp. Boag runs low 40's and i am happy with just hyd steering

hope this

todd

I'm a little confused here by all the performance questions and comments, and I assume there is no right answer. In looking at the express tube package vs the twin ellipticals, is one a better "performance" in certain situations? The website hierarchy makes it sound like it goes express tube, twin ellipticals, standard performance package, and then ESP. No matter which you choose, it seems strakes will increase that performance. Also is there a combination where there is come equivalency? For instance if I have the twin ellipticals with no strakes will it be similar to the express package with strakes? I'm asking because of the cost for each. Is there that "sweet spot" to get the most bang for your buck with a particular combination if I'm not looking to spend a great deal of money?

Anybody see the write up in the 2101 special boat test on the 2575 RCW Limited? Great write up. Bennington performs well and is a top pick. I am suprised though with yammy 250hp SHO that she only hits 45mph runnig a 15.75 x 15 saltwater series II prop. With the ESP package, i thought it might be faster. Anyhow, they give it top marks in all categories. I am proud to own THE best pontoon boat on the market!

Todd
I had not seen the article; however, great to hear the remarks! We Just ordered a 2012 2575 RCW this past weekend at the St. Louis show. Equipment included the 250 SHO motor, ESP, P.S., vinyl floor/snap in carpet, LED Lighting, S.S. Stern Gate, 52 gallon tank, and the raised helm with oversize recliner; can't wait to get it!

Welcome to the club, edk.

I had not seen the article; however, great to hear the remarks! We Just ordered a 2012 2575 RCW this past weekend at the St. Louis show. Equipment included the 250 SHO motor, ESP, P.S., vinyl floor/snap in carpet, LED Lighting, S.S. Stern Gate, 52 gallon tank, and the raised helm with oversize recliner; can't wait to get it!

Edk, You are going to love that combo!

I'm a little confused here by all the performance questions and comments, and I assume there is no right answer. In looking at the express tube package vs the twin ellipticals, is one a better "performance" in certain situations? The website hierarchy makes it sound like it goes express tube, twin ellipticals, standard performance package, and then ESP. No matter which you choose, it seems strakes will increase that performance. Also is there a combination where there is come equivalency? For instance if I have the twin ellipticals with no strakes will it be similar to the express package with strakes? I'm asking because of the cost for each. Is there that "sweet spot" to get the most bang for your buck with a particular combination if I'm not looking to spend a great deal of money?
Well, lessee if'n I can take a stab at this.

First thing is, the ESP changes the handling dynamics of the boat so that handles like a monohull. It's a very impressive ride and people who get that option tend to be very happy with their decision.

Second, Strakes are a way to help get more of the pontoons out of the water, which cuts down on drag. All things being equal, they increase your ability to maintain higher speeds as you load the boat down.

Third, the reason the 3x25 pontoon setup is faster than the ESP is because the ESP is always going to have more metal in contact with the water. More drag means less speed. Either way, you'll greatly increase your load and power capacity.

Finally, your sweet spot question is, as a practical matter, unanswerable. Not because there is no answer but rather because there are too many.

The SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT THING is to figure out how much money you are willing and/or able to spend. You'll find that knowing this answers a lot of questions for you.

Oh, one last thing...

You'd need to check this with Bennington, but if I'm not mistaken, the most popular power plant is the 150hp version of whatever brand you like. The most popular boats are, again... assuming my info is correct are the G & R series, since they encompass the broad middle of the line. I am not sure what the distribution of the Twin-Elliptical vs the 3x25 setup is. Probably not far from even. If I was going to guess where the "sweet spot" is, I'd say a G series with a 3x25 log setup, some carefully selected upgrades and a 150hp engine. Good bang for the buck there.

Well, lessee if'n I can take a stab at this.

First thing is, the ESP changes the handling dynamics of the boat so that handles like a monohull. It's a very impressive ride and people who get that option tend to be very happy with their decision.

Second, Strakes are a way to help get more of the pontoons out of the water, which cuts down on drag. All things being equal, they increase your ability to maintain higher speeds as you load the boat down.

Third, the reason the 3x25 pontoon setup is faster than the ESP is because the ESP is always going to have more metal in contact with the water. More drag means less speed. Either way, you'll greatly increase your load and power capacity.

Finally, your sweet spot question is, as a practical matter, unanswerable. Not because there is no answer but rather because there are too many.

The SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT THING is to figure out how much money you are willing and/or able to spend. You'll find that knowing this answers a lot of questions for you.

Oh, one last thing...

You'd need to check this with Bennington, but if I'm not mistaken, the most popular power plant is the 150hp version of whatever brand you like. The most popular boats are, again... assuming my info is correct are the G & R series, since they encompass the broad middle of the line. I am not sure what the distribution of the Twin-Elliptical vs the 3x25 setup is. Probably not far from even. If I was going to guess where the "sweet spot" is, I'd say a G series with a 3x25 log setup, some carefully selected upgrades and a 150hp engine. Good bang for the buck there.

Eric, you are the Commodore, apreciate reading your comments. Off on the red eye to San Antonio for a little R & R. Will tune in when I get back

I'm getting mine on Friday .. It has 3 , 25" toons.. But they are saying that this one is better because it has 3 Full length toons... They said this is a new option having the center toon being Full length and it will go faster and handle better... What speed should I expect with the 3 full length toons, 150hp Yamaha, wave shield , and strakes on the center toon only? Also is having strakes in just the center toon ok?

I'm getting mine on Friday .. It has 3 , 25" toons.. But they are saying that this one is better because it has 3 Full length toons... They said this is a new option having the center toon being Full length and it will go faster and handle better... What speed should I expect with the 3 full length toons, 150hp Yamaha, wave shield , and strakes on the center toon only? Also is having strakes in just the center toon ok?
Depending on length and model of boat, you will see upper 30's.

It's so nice to have so many hull/strake options when ordering or purchasing a new pontoon/tritoon boat.

A pontoon boat properly maintained and kept dry has a lifespan of 25+ years, and is actually a good long term value in recreation. That's why it's important that any new buyer gets a boat that suits his needs and a powerplant that pushes his boat to intended speeds efficiently.

With $4 gasoline in the future, fuel mileage is going to be even more important. There again, we often just start our boat, pull it out of the boathouse, and run 1/2 mile out in the middle of the lake to float around for hours. One doesn't have to burn much fuel to have a perfectly nice afternoon or night floating.

The dealer told me it will hit 41 mph.... From what I am reading is that with the strakes on the Center toon only, I will turn a lot better but lose a little speed then the toons with 3 toons with strakes.... I will also lose a little speed due to Painting the toons.( I am leaving it in the water all summer in brackish water, just taking it out to power wash here and there...)

The Model is a 2254 STI but it is a 24 ft boat,,,,( shouldn't model number be 2454,,lol)

He said that the 3 FULL length toons are a better ride and faster then 2 Elliptical toons...

It also has a Wave Shield and Anode Package(whatever that package is)

Instead of painting the toons, have you looked at a lift? I didn't purchase a lift originally last year, but after seeing the "beard" grow on the toons, losing about 20mph, and paying to have the toons washed. I opted for a lift late in the year. Dealer in my area was having a closeout on the Shoremaster lifts (with remote control), and basically I bought it for a steal. Lift gets installed in about 5 weeks.

Just a thought.

Back