Performance of SL 21 with 150 Or Slx with 200

Norris boat

Reaction score
i am in the process of buying a new SL 21 tri-toon with Yamaha 150 or a slx22 with a 200 4 cylinder, I would guess this may have been asked before. Both have the SPS package.

I know the Slx is a little nicer, this would be a boat in addition to our Malibu wake-setter.

I want to be able to have 6 people on board on a TN lake:

-What would be top speed?
-Should I be able to pull a couple of people on a tube
- should I be able cruise along at 35 mph?
- any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Money is not the driving factor, however, don’t want to spend more than I need to given that it is a 2nd boat.

Thanks in advance for your help.

I have a 22ssrxp with SPS and a Yamaha F150. I get 39 mph WOT and 2 people. With 6 people I can hit 35 mph on a calm day. With a 200 you should be able to pick up a few more mph. And yes you’ll easily pull a tube. Hope this helps.

I’m on the Intracoastal on space coast in Florida.

Yes, on Norris Lake during the sumner.

I feel the SL 21 with a 150 and SPS might be the better combination for us. What other items would be a must have if you were ordering a new boat?

I’d get the heavy duty rub rail, ski tow bar, if there’s an extended aft deck option, go for that too, nice to have the extra deck space especially for staging for water sports, double battery and switch, I live on saltwater so the saltwater package was mandatory for me, gps/depth finder, other than that, everything else is nice to have. If sound system is important you may want to upgrade.

Get dealer to throw in as many accessories as possible like throwables, life jackets (get kid sizes too)fenders, fender clips, vhf radio, multiple lines for tying up/off, anchor, flares, air horn, etc.

i am in the process of buying a new SL 21 tri-toon with Yamaha 150 or a slx22 with a 200 4 cylinder, I would guess this may have been asked before. Both have the SPS package.

I know the Slx is a little nicer, this would be a boat in addition to our Malibu wake-setter.

I want to be able to have 6 people on board on a TN lake:

-What would be top speed?
-Should I be able to pull a couple of people on a tube
- should I be able cruise along at 35 mph?
- any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Money is not the driving factor, however, don’t want to spend more than I need to given that it is a 2nd boat.

Thanks in advance for your help.
I have 22SSXAPG with Yamaha F200 and SPS. So far, top speed with 3 people and full tank has been 43 mph, but motor is in lowest hole and needs to be raised up 1 hole. I had 12 people on the boat and top speed was 33 mph and I could have gone a bit faster if I had played with the trim. Also, pulled 3 kids on the tube with 7 people in the boat with no problems whipping them in and out of the wake.

I’d get the heavy duty rub rail, ski tow bar, if there’s an extended aft deck option, go for that too, nice to have the extra deck space especially for staging for water sports, double battery and switch, I live on saltwater so the saltwater package was mandatory for me, gps/depth finder, other than that, everything else is nice to have. If sound system is important you may want to upgrade.

Get dealer to throw in as many accessories as possible like throwables, life jackets (get kid sizes too)fenders, fender clips, vhf radio, multiple lines for tying up/off, anchor, flares, air horn, etc.

Good suggestions here. I’d especially ditto the heavy duty rub rail, and aft deck. Aft deck is HUGE in my opinion. Makes EVERYTHING easier.

I’d potentially add the in floor storage. It’s easy to need extra storage, and some layouts have less of it than others anyway.

Be sure to spring for the power-assist steering with either motor.

See my sig below for my numbers.

OP: DEFINITELY get the center toon storage. You will NEVER regret that.

I have a 24SSLX with a F150, Express Tube and a Reliance 15 pitch prop. My dealer sets all his engines one notch or 3/4" above the transom. I'm seeing 40 mph at 6000 rpms which is exactly the same top end as the SPS gets. SPS just handles a little better, carries a couple of more people--and costs a bunch more.

From what I can tell, the SPS hull and F200 Yamahas see about 43 mph--not much difference. You may be talking $2800 more for the engine and just under $3K for SeaStar power steering assist usually added to 200 hp and higher motors. That's an expensive 3 mph most owners seldom use, but I'm sure the pull/push better at mid range speeds too.

If I was getting a new boat, I'd be after one of the Mercury Pro XS 200 hp V-8 outboards. It's a whole new generation motor that's reported to be incredible by owners.

Back