Performance was disappointing during first WOT

I can't speak for a 4 blade but you should be getting into the 40s easily with that boat and engine. There are online calculators plus the engine manufacturer should have a recommendation. Take those over what this dealer is telling/selling you.

I have the VF250SHO and was disappointed on how it performed. It came with a 17 pitch SWSII and I could not go much over 35 where my last boat with the F250 and a 19p got close to 50!!! I did some research and got the dealer to swap it out for a SWSII 15 pitch and now I can get to the low 40s which is fine because it is a bigger and heavier boat.

Last edited:
I think the prop is fine. With clean tunes it did 43 at 5900. I think its mounted to low. Hole shot and turning are fine. Its just seems like it is missing some top end. From what I have read I think I should be able to see the cavitation plate at speed?

You should see it at speed. If you don’t, then the motor needs to be raised up. That’s a lot of drag. Best of luck with the change up on motor hole mount, and hopefully a noticeable improvement in performance.

I have a 2019 23ssbxp with the Yamaha F250 digital controls. Prop is the SWS II 15.5 17P. The motor is in the lowest hole. Just passed the 10 hour break in. I’m hitting 46mph WOT with a full tank of gas(46 gallons) and 4 adults onboard. My RPM is only at 5400 though.

It's rather rare to see a 4-blade prop on a performance pontoon, no idea why they'd even suggest that one. If you can't get any results with the dealer, contact Ken at www.propgods.com. He is one of the most knowledgeable people out there on props for all kinds of boats, also has a pontoon himself.

Two of the biggest lessons from users of this forum are:
1) The 115 is underwhelming and;
2) Dealers typically prop the boat incorrectly

Two of the biggest lessons from users of this forum are:
1) The 115 is underwhelming and;
2) Dealers typically prop the boat incorrectly
3) As they are also very conservative, dealers almost always mount the motor too low by at least 1 or 2 holes, burying the cav plate.

Dealer reached out to me today and is going to pick my boat up and check it out. Trying to schedule time now. I sent them the spec sheet I pulled off of Yamaha site for the closest match I could find. Should be in the lower/mid 40's I would think, depending on the RPMs that can be hit at WOT. I've attached the sheets if anyone is interested.

Attachments

• 20190529134115159.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 37
Finally the dealer called me and went to look at the boat. He was very skeptical that anything was wrong. I could tell he thought it was just me and my inexperience. I told him I've owned many boats and know how to work the trim and couldn't get above 33. He argued the prop was fine and the motor was in the correct spot; saying they tested the boat before they delivered it. But, he went and test drove it yesterday. Said it was fine and they got it to 37 with the proper RPMs. He said thee was tons of bottom growth on the toons and they need cleaning. Still defending the prop. Guess I can live with it or try and work to squeeze another few mph out of it.

Just for reference 20' S model Tritoon, 115 HP 2 passengers, full tank gas, into a 3.9 mph current. I got 34.8mph for my 1st WOT at 6100 Rpm. 2nd time I got 35.5mph (gps)

I would not be happy, SteveZ. My 22 SSXAPG hits 38 mph with four adults and nearly a full tank. When she was brand new, before I had things like anchors and other stuff that lives on the boat, we hit nearly 43 mph at WOT with two adults and a full tank.

I did reach out to Ken at PropGods and received his recommendation. It's not very easy for me to pull in/out without a fair amount of effort, but I think I'm going to try his suggestion when I pull it for the first service coming up. And, clean the toons for sure. Here's is Ken's suggestion:

I would suggest a Quicksilver Q3 15 pitch.
I think it will accelerate stronger, and be faster on top end
Should crack 40 pretty easily with the Q3
There is a chance we may need to drop to a 14 pitch, but I'm hoping you can turn the 15 fine and pick up some good speed

I did reach out to Ken at PropGods and received his recommendation. It's not very easy for me to pull in/out without a fair amount of effort, but I think I'm going to try his suggestion when I pull it for the first service coming up. And, clean the toons for sure. Here's is Ken's suggestion:

I would suggest a Quicksilver Q3 15 pitch.
I think it will accelerate stronger, and be faster on top end
Should crack 40 pretty easily with the Q3
There is a chance we may need to drop to a 14 pitch, but I'm hoping you can turn the 15 fine and pick up some good speed
I clean my pontoons in the water every 30 to 45 days with a scotch bright pad takes about 1 hour.

I’ve experimented with the trim and found a good way to experience the best trim for any given speed, then make note until you’re remembering. Set a specific speed. Slowly trim while looking at the gps speed. Keep trimming slowly as long as your speed is increasing. When you reach a point where your speed is topped out before beginning to drop back down, then you’ve reached the perfect trim for that speed. Gives you a good idea of where to trim at the main speeds you enjoy cruising at.

I’ve experimented with the trim and found a good way to experience the best trim for any given speed, then make note until you’re remembering. Set a specific speed. Slowly trim while looking at the gps speed. Keep trimming slowly as long as your speed is increasing. When you reach a point where your speed is topped out before beginning to drop back down, then you’ve reached the perfect trim for that speed. Gives you a good idea of where to trim at the main speeds you enjoy cruising at.

Thanks! I'll gladly try that. Appreciate the advice.

Thank you! I have reached out to my dealer but they have not responded yet. I took it out again yesterday on the Ohio and it was windy and very choppy. More like being on the ocean. I never could go faster than 32 again and paid closer attention to RPM's. Really never exceeded a little more than 5,000. I looked closer at the prop and it is a Solas (model 9553) 14.5 diameter with a 15 pitch. Again, it's a 4 blade. I'll talk to my dealer next week. Thanks again for all the advice.
What hole is your motor located in.

I have a 2019 SXP25 tri toon with ESP and a F250 Yamaha. I didn't get into a lot of questions with my dealer around prop size/pitch, etc when I took delivery. They just said they have a lot of experience with matching props/platforms and that I would be fine. In fact, I don't know my specs yet (but will). I know it's 14.5 stainless with 4 blades. Yesterday on the Ohio River I opened it up for a very short time as I'm nearing the end of my break-in period. The water was choppy and I'm still trying to get used to the trim. The boat plowed through the chop nicely but when I did open it up I recall the RPM's getting close to 6,000 and my GPS showed I was only hitting 32 MPH. I don't need a speed demon and all but honestly expected much more than that. I was hoping I'd have enough power for 40MPH. I'm hoping it was the chop in the water and my inexperience with the trim and will keep trying and keeping better records. I of course will call the dealer when I have more data. Is 40 MPH for a 25 foot tri-toon unreasonable? It was me and my wife with 3/4 tank (50 gallon tank). Thanks. Steve
.........maybe one of the water brakes isn't releasing all the way.......:D.........sorry....couldn't resist. Any possibility of water in any of the pontoons loading it down or buildup of scum below water line from being in water for extended period? Just a couple of possibilities

You should hit 40.

Back