Perimeter L.E.D lighting

I am looking to get into night fishing on my home lake, there are multiple tree fields leading from my ramp out to the main lake. Is running powered navigation lights similar to something like a KC light allowed? I live in Texas and never even gave a thought as to what the legalities might be.

Only the red and green nav lights and the stern anchor light should be on while running at night. Docking lights are only for docking. I use a handheld spotlight for momentarily looking for markers but that's it.

Well, after a season with my LED install I can offer only one tip. On the strips I ordered, the manufacturer spliced the silicone sheath covering periodically (presumably at end of roll). This seam was not weatherproof, so I had to repair a section of strip that was corroded. Let me tell you, soldering 4 tiny contacts on a half inch wide paper strip while upside down working in that tiny gap between the toon and the trim is not easy. I'm glad I ran the bead of silicone along both sides of the strip during my initial install or the whole thing would be toast.

Welcome back PDX, we missed you

And the pics of your company on the boat!!

Woot Woot !! PDX is back ........

Man thought you might have retired and moved on us! How are things in Portland and w/the fire department?????

Bradduh life is good. No complaints! Had a nice long season with no issues on the water (knock on wood). Boats put away under cover and now I wait...... And wait......

Retirement is out, I'm only 35. So until then I'll work work work.

Trouble is, some of my friends and family have gotten into yachting. I feel a bug, man. The idea of selling my house to live in luxury on the water is really tempting. Only problem is to live how I want requires a rather large boat, and consequently, large pay days. :)

So for now I'll enjoy my GCW and dream about how I could have been an amazing 007.

*wakes up*

Last edited by a moderator:
I hear ya Tommy. We went to the Powerboat show in Annapolis at the beginning of October ..... WOW .... some of those were unbelievable.

Now if I could just quadruple my income I'd be set..... ;)

I think the "cheapest" one we saw that we thought we "might" be able to live on was in the $400k range ...... Might just have to stick to our houseboat idea down south ....

They let you have spot lights mounted on the boat for night fishing and bowfishing alot of the guys around here run generators during carp tourneys. I am looking at just adding the LED lights found some underwater ones for the live wells and they are blue to match the bimini top lights also and I would like to get the ones that change colors Im told red interior light does not affect night vision.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, sorry for all the posts, but really liking this forum!So i know that bennington has the ice lighting perimeter lighting, but for those of us that didnt get the option whats the next best?I want this look
index41.jpg
Any ideas? I'm thinking low voltage rope lighting. Anyone know what bennington uses?thanks,Alex...
Just call your local game warden. I called mine at the lake I'm at (in Texas) and they're fine with the lights as long as I'm anchored. Once underway, you need to to shut them all off with exception to the navigation lights. In fact he said, the more lights you have on while anchored, the better.
We just bought a Bennington 2575 QCW IO and it came with led lights.I want to be able to enjoy them we boat lake CD'A. We'll see soon picking up boat in may.

So I bought a complete LED kit from EBay similar to the one at pontoonstuff.com. My biggest issue is how are you all wiring these with the wave shield installed? My only thought is possibly to secure the wire to my Garmin wire and pull it through to the helm? My kit calls for the strips/wires to meet at the stern and then to the helm. Any thoughts?

We pulled data cable and often would do something similar to that.  If it reaches a point where it is hard to pull I would pull the garmin cable back and rethink it.  Also attach a pull string with it so that you can use that if needed

Skipper Bill

I encountered the same challenge and also bought the kit from EBay. However I persevered using a cable fiche, coat hanger and a few scratches on my arms and knuckles but managed to get the wires fed above the shields and thru the helm cable hole. I also used plastic cable shields in some spots, to prevent the wire from chaffing on the sharp edges of the aluminum. I was also installing a windlass anchor on the front so I had to get power to the front also. So when I fiched the wire, I also included a nylon rope so I didn't have to do it twice ! I might have lost too much blood doing it twice lol. It is achievable, but it was a task worth the effort and results.

My seasoned neighbor came over and recommended wiring them to the front of the boat, which was way easier. It also helped having a second pair of hands. Mission accomplished and they look fantastic. Actually a very nice complete kit for $189 from recreationallights on EBay.

Well 2 weeks ago I went ahead and installed the LED perimeter lighting.  I used EZACDC Pontoon LED kit which came with the lights, mounting track, and wire harness with waterproof connectors.  This kit uses the same lights that Bennington uses from Vista MFG in Elkhart so it connects just light the OEM products.  Very easy and the blue looks great.

http://www.ezacdc.com/boat-wiring-products/boat-lighting/pontoon-underdeck-lights/

Ill get pics up once the site fixes the bug with photo uploads.

I guess there must be a few sellers from EZACDC on Ebay.  I know the more detailed instructions they linked me to were from that company.  Anyway, looks fantastic and pretty much identical to yours.  I was very impressed with the mounting strips this kit came with.  I secured them with some stainless #6 panhead screws just as a failsafe but the 3M tape seemed pretty adequate.  The parts list that some of the others have posted on here seemed a little beyond my skill level.  Can't wait to get on the water and I'll post some pics too! 

Back