Placement of Transom-Mount Sensor

lostpacket

Reaction score
Is there a good spot for it on the toon or will something have to be added?

For a transducer? There's normally a bracket on one of the toons. I had one added to my starboard toon so I have them on both sides. Eventually I want to install a washdown or livewell and I wanted to make sure I had plenty of options for mounting.

Yeah, I want depth so looking at transducers. Do benningtons have a spot by default to put it?

I have brackets on the back of both of my toons, I think all boats have at least one.

Yeah, I want depth so looking at transducers. Do benningtons have a spot by default to put it?

By default, they put it on the port tube bracket as stated above by Semper.

I have the saltwater package and have them on both. My livewell pump is on the port side currently with the transducer.

Just don't be too surprised if you depth finder doesn't work over 15 MPH. Some people have no such problem, but I think if we took a poll, most people would say that it doesn't work above moderate speeds. Still nice to have!

Just don't be too surprised if you depth finder doesn't work over 15 MPH. Some people have no such problem, but I think if we took a poll, most people would say that it doesn't work above moderate speeds. Still nice to have!

If yours doesn't work above a certain speed, just lower the transducer to the bottom level of the toon. If mounted too high, it doesn't get good water contact, and will not read accurately or at all. Mine was mounted from the dealership at about an 1.5" above the bottom of the toon. At about 15-20 MPH, it no longer worked. Now, with mine "in the water", it always works at all speeds.

Before you move the transducer try adjusting the angle of the transducer. I don't go fast very often but when I do I never do I don't have any problems since I zeroed in the angle correctly. But then again I can't go too fast with only 115HP on my R

Mine has never had a problem when running full throttle ... :D

:cool::D:eek::rolleyes::(

I mounted mine below the bracket already on the tube. I bought a Garmin Transducer so it was plug and play. Sometimes when going above 40 it loses track of the depth. MY 2 CENTS---When you install the new transducer, if there are any wires touching the mount on the boat insulate them! Wrap foolish amounts of tape on it, or whatever works. My wire was touching the mount and frayed the rubber coating on the cable. My transducer still works, not as good as it did, but I just don't trust it.

Mine is mounted a couple of inches lower than my transome/tubes. However, it still drops off and doesn't work after about 10-15 mph. I find this frustrating since had hoped by getting it a little lower it would still give depth readings when under higher speeds. Thus, the mount it lower advice doesn't always pan out. Wish it did.

On my ridiculously shallow lake, its nice to just have a better sense of the variation beneath you. I will try Links advice above and maybe play around with its angle and see if that will solve the problem next summer. Fingers crossed.

Mine is mounted a couple of inches lower than my transome/tubes. However, it still drops off and doesn't work after about 10-15 mph. I find this frustrating since had hoped by getting it a little lower it would still give depth readings when under higher speeds. Thus, the mount it lower advice doesn't always pan out. Wish it did.

On my ridiculously shallow lake, its nice to just have a better sense of the variation beneath you. I will try Links advice above and maybe play around with its angle and see if that will solve the problem next summer. Fingers crossed.

I feel your pain! Many of the lakes in Florida are extremely shallow. For instance Lake George is the third largest lake in FL, yet has an average depth of about 8 feet. The good think about Florida lakes is a total absence of rocks. Lots of submerged pilings and trees make keeping a weary eye on depth important.

My transducer is on bracket on starboard toon, exactly even with the bottom, as per Garmin recommendation. I still lose the bottom reading at sustained speeds over 30. My dealer says it's due to the turbulence created by the Pontoon.

I feel your pain! Many of the lakes in Florida are extremely shallow. For instance Lake George is the third largest lake in FL, yet has an average depth of about 8 feet. The good think about Florida lakes is a total absence of rocks. Lots of submerged pilings and trees make keeping a weary eye on depth important.

My transducer is on bracket on starboard toon, exactly even with the bottom, as per Garmin recommendation. I still lose the bottom reading at sustained speeds over 30. My dealer says it's due to the turbulence created by the Pontoon.

While out for a drive I passed the headwaters of the St John River and it was pretty swollen, how is it up by you

Honestly, I think if your depth finder works above 15 MPH you are just extremely lucky. Last year I took your advise and moved the transducer down, but to no avail. I did contact Garmin directly and they told me that I should not expect it to work above 15 MPH due to "dirty water"
created by pontoons.

Now, if I had half a brain I'd come up with a true solution to the problem, sell it to the highest bidder and then retire! LOL

:D Yours works up to 15 MPH. Mine works up and through WOT. I'll keep mine, and don't expect me to trade with you. :)
I'll take a pic or video of mine in motion. It didn't work when I first got my boat because it was mounted up so high that the toon was blocking the water, and yes, creating a "dirty water" situation. I'm certainly not arguing the point; just telling that mine didn't work, but after lowering it, it works at any/all speeds that my boat is capable of running, which is a little over 36 MPH.

This is where mine is mounted now. Notice the three holes where the dealer had it mounted. I also have it angled to compensate for the angle of the boat as it rides.

full

full

Last edited:
Hey Spoiled, mine is in the lowest position it will go but I'm guessing it's not as low as yours. Looks like I have something extra to look forward to next spring, the possibility that it might yet work!

BTW, that Mississippi plate is throwing me off. I thought you hung out in S. Georgia...

Well, I hope your wait, and attempt at a lower spot for your transducer will pleasantly surprise you. Let us know if it works for you. I'm still thinking it will if you go as low as mine is. Good luck! ;)

When I took it back to the dealer to get the motor raised, the first thing they said was, "if you hit something with that, it might break it off".
I told them that I'd much rather it work like it's supposed to and break it off in an accident, than have no idea how deep the water is, or is getting, and break off the lower unit of my motor. I believe they got my point. It's on a pivot, so if I hit something, it will most likely just pivot up and out of danger, but that would still be a concern very low on my list.

Back