PLaypen cover staining vinyl seats

Jimbo, welcome aboard!

Is your boat new? Is your cover brown?

If it is new, then you need to talk to your dealer, it may be a warranty issue. If the cover is not brown, i would suspect it may be dirt and other contaminates getting on the cover. You should be putting 303 high tech fabric guard on it as well as 303 aerospace vinyl protectant on the seats. We use both products and have had very good results with them.

Let us know how this turns out for you.

The boat is an 07 and I have been using 303 since it was new. It still gets mildew stained no matter what I do. The playpen cover was the standard brown and the new Sunbrella cover is taupe but even with a white terrycloth towel between the cover and seat, they are turning brown.

Boat is six years old, did you call this to the dealer's attention year 1? Did it start after the first year? If so, when?

The staining started early on (maybe the second year and was minor in scope and a couple of days in the sun made it fade away. This past fall is when it got really serious and I showed it to a dealer in Ft. Myers FL(Marina Mikes) where I had taken it for some unrelated work. That dealer called Bennington who told them that it wasnt covered. It has got to the point now that the staining is wide spread even though I have had a new cover made out of Sunbrella and cover the seats with white terrycloth towels before covering. The staining will fade in the sun but now leaves the vinyl yellow and dried out. Very frustrating and looks terrible

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it mold? What does it taste like? Kidding, don't taste it. Maybe a mold inhibitor would help?

Just thinking if the sun fades it, maybe it is mold and not the fabric bleeding. I looked at a used boat once, not a Bennington, and it had this problem only it was red mold. It had a red cover, so I had assumed it was bleeding, but it was mold. Does mild bleach remove it too? Do you store your boat in a dark humid place? That last comment was a joke. It is dark under the cover and boats are always near water.

Not trying to pass the buck, but it is likely mold. We see a reddish mold between covers and upholstery on a frequent basis in humid areas...it fades in the sun and comes back with a vengeance. It could easily be mistaken for "cover bleed."

Although the playpen cover (just replaced 2 weeks ago) was totally bleached out where it sat on the tops of the seats, I agree, I dont think it was cover bleed. It is doing the same thing and worse under the new "Sunbrella" mooring cover with white terrycloth towels on the seat tops. I have tried every mold/mildew remover-preventor I can find, I have left the snap in carpet off the boat for two seasons, I cannot find the source of the stains. After the sun fades these stains, they are left yellow looking and dried out. Maybe I need a moldologist or something.. I dont know what else to do.

Although the playpen cover (just replaced 2 weeks ago) was totally bleached out where it sat on the tops of the seats, I agree, I dont think it was cover bleed. It is doing the same thing and worse under the new "Sunbrella" mooring cover with white terrycloth towels on the seat tops. I have tried every mold/mildew remover-preventor I can find, I have left the snap in carpet off the boat for two seasons, I cannot find the source of the stains. After the sun fades these stains, they are left yellow looking and dried out. Maybe I need a moldologist or something.. I dont know what else to do.
Have you tried a vinegar water solution to kill it off?? I used that on carpeting with pretty good success. Just a thought.

I have actually used a vinegar/water solution to clean windows and glass with great results but I have never considered its use on vinyl boat seat covers. Have you used it on mold/mildew with successful results?

Not on vinyl, but I have used it on carpet. I had the reddish colored (and green) mold and it killed it off. It would come back over time, but that's just the nature of the beast with wet carpet and mooring cover on.

You might also try something like this http://www.iboats.com/Mildew-Stain-Remover/dm/cart_id.717071875--session_id.364635572--view_id.49145

but you got to "kill" the mold somehow.

Cleaning gets it off the surface, but the older the vinyl, the surface wears off and opens the vinyl pores, and thats where the molds living. You might also try a bleach solution, maybe 1 /2-1 cup/gallon of water, but watch getting in the threads. There's lots of commentary out there how it can damage the threads, but that's typically if it's a very strong mix, or straight bleach. Possibly Clorox Clean-Up, as that is another popular item. AS always, test an area first to verify it won't discolor the vinyl .......

On the home reno shows they always show them using this sandblaster type of gun that shoots dry ice, although I don't know what pressure it shoots at, so might not work!! Could just put holes in your seats!

We have a mold issue on the 22' pontoon because of the old cover. We used simple green and it striped the vinyl top layer which exposed the pores. We have been fighting mold every since. I bought a system to dye/paint the seats and seal the vinyl. I will be doing the work in the next 2 weeks. I will post the results.

Oh yeah, once you clean make sure to use 303 VINYL PROTECTANT !!!!!

Not "prevent" but to "protect & prevent" AFTER killing off the mold in the pores of vinyl !!! Thorough clean & kill, then hopefully protect from further growth.

Black Mooring cover leaving blue stains on Ivory Upholstery panels after FIRST Covering of new boat. Stains will not come out. Awaiting Bennington Factory Warranty to respond after calling dealer. I hope they will replace seating and mooring cover. Heard it takes a while for Factory to reply. Any comments or sugeestions<

Black Mooring cover leaving blue stains on Ivory Upholstery panels after FIRST Covering of new boat. Stains will not come out. Awaiting Bennington Factory Warranty to respond after calling dealer. I hope they will replace seating and mooring cover. Heard it takes a while for Factory to reply. Any comments or sugeestions<
Give the dealer & Bennington time to address it .... If you don't hear ffrom dealer in 3-5 days, call them again, if nothing in 3-5 more days, contact Bennington Customer Service to follow up. I truly believe reading through the multitude threads, that the "lack of" response from Bennington, is actually "lack of" dealers contacting Bennington in a timely manner.

you guys are scaring me. I want to order a new boat with red canvas

Back