Playpen water repellent - past problem and question

agletdave

Reaction score
Well, I had a bad and strange experience with my Tumacs Surlast playpen cover - Bennington did replace it but I'm REALLY confused why I had an issue. I had a green cover that was only 2 seasons old - took very good care of it, didn't store it wet, etc. Midway through season 2 I treated it with Starbrite water repellant (PTFE Teflon flouropolymer in mineral spirts - non -silicone) which is made specifically for boat covers. I believe this is very similar if not identical to 303 (I'm a chemist) except maybe doesn't have as much UV screener. 303 is also Teflon flouropolymer in a mineral spirits carrier. A couple months later I started to have the cover tear in a couple places. Material looked the fibers weakened dramatically in those areas (dry rot?)

Now I am afraid to put anything on the replacement cover. I certainly am afraid of the Starbrite now, but if that was the problem, then chemically 303 should be a problem too (they both are in mineral spirits, there is NO WAY the PTFE should cause a problem). I tried emailing Tumacs with no reply, I will try to call them. Just curious if anyone else had similar problems with or without the treatment. Polyester is no where near as UV durable as nylon, but I'm suprised it failed this fast. I don't want to put on 303 until I hear someone has long term success with Tumacs Surlast.

Dave

303 is what the car dealers, manufacturers and car detailers suggest on canvas convertible tops. I use it on my Jaguar XK8 top. Every fabric top needs some protection to prevent dark streaks, etc.--especially on light colored tops. Nothing is worse than having to replace a top for a stain when it could have been prevented. I understand it doesn't even need to be reapplied/renewed but every 3 years or so.

You should be satisfied with the product.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back