Pontoon Guard's

jonesjj3

Reaction score
Greetings All,
I seen these on a boat in our community and wonder if anyone else has try these or has an opinion on them.

They are from Megaware here is the link
https://keelguard.com/megaware-pontoonguard/
I asked him if he likes them and he said he does and it helps keep dents and scratches off the edge of the toons, I guess they go on with 3M tape on back and seem to hold on ok as he has had his on for over a yr.

Any one have an option on these or ever used them? I have not seen them on very may pontoon boats and just wondering if I want to put them on my New 22' Benny when it arrives some time late March of this yr.

Interesting concept. Haven’t seen them before.

Yea I have not seen them on many looks like a good idea they are little on the expensive side, about 400.00 to do a 22' pontoon. I will be docking at some restaurants, marinas, and maybe tying up to other pontoons at the sand bar occasionally so it may be worth it. I just hate to get those scratches and small dents like I see on other pontoons.

Yea I have not seen them on many looks like a good idea they are little on the expensive side, about 400.00 to do a 22' pontoon. I will be docking at some restaurants, marinas, and maybe tying up to other pontoons at the sand bar occasionally so it may be worth it. I just hate to get those scratches and small dents like I see on other pontoons.
It's gonna happen.

The concept seem reasonable, not too sure how they stand up to the UV and long term exposure. If the quality of the material is decent which for $400 I would hope so, you could always replace them in a few years if need be.

I found another product called Vantage here is the website for that one
https://www.vantageprotectionproducts.com/pontoon-guard

It also looks like a nice product to use I could not see where you could purchase and had to contact a dealer of them to get it applied as I was wondering of the price of that one, it looks good and is a little bit wider than the Megawear product.

I had to email them to find a dealer and they responded I called them to get a price and had no idea of it and said they will have to call me back once they found someone in the dealership who has ever sold it or apply it before on a pontoon.

This is a 3M product that is supposed to be extremely durable. The link shows black, gray or white but you can also get a clear pontoon wrap. I saw it on a boat at our dealer last year and it was really cool, entirely eliminating the need for Sharkskin IMO. Just wish they had offered it when I purchased my boat so I could have avoided the bad acid wash experience. :(

I think the cost for the wrap was about $2k for my 27' 9" boat.

This is a 3M product that is supposed to be extremely durable. The link shows black, gray or white but you can also get a clear pontoon wrap. I saw it on a boat at our dealer last year and it was really cool, entirely eliminating the need for Sharkskin IMO. Just wish they had offered it when I purchased my boat so I could have avoided the bad acid wash experience. :(

I think the cost for the wrap was about $2k for my 27' 9" boat.

We got our boat from the same dealership, and took a close look at adding the 3M Vantage product. I was learning heavily towards doing it, but got over ruled by the wifey. Since we had already sprinted past our original budget, I didn’t have any room to hold the line on it. :rolleyes:

I thought it looked very high quality, and it left me impressed. As Michman said above, it comes in a multitude of color options. I also thought it looked pretty nice on the showroom boat.

Ditto the +/- $2k quote for our 24’ toon. In hind sight, I wish I had added it on then as I had some leverage to negotiate the price. It is something I am considering for down the road - especially if we end up with any unsightly dings. It can both cover them up, and help protect for any future mishaps.

I really think the Wrap on the upper half of the toon looks good and then with the guard on the center line of the toon it just looks sharp. I was just thinking of the guard down the side but now thinking about the wrap on the upper half, Hmmmmm

Looks pretty cool.......

But a good set of properly sized fenders will give you better protection from dock rash, other boats when tying up, etc. etc. Wherever/whoever you dock or tie up with isn't always going to match up perfectly with that strip! I use 3 on each side........

We got our boat from the same dealership, and took a close look at adding the 3M Vantage product. I was learning heavily towards doing it, but got over ruled by the wifey. Since we had already sprinted past our original budget, I didn’t have any room to hold the line on it. :rolleyes:

I thought it looked very high quality, and it left me impressed. As Michman said above, it comes in a multitude of color options. I also thought it looked pretty nice on the showroom boat.

Ditto the +/- $2k quote for our 24’ toon. In hind sight, I wish I had added it on then as I had some leverage to negotiate the price. It is something I am considering for down the road - especially if we end up with any unsightly dings. It can both cover them up, and help protect for any future mishaps.
Did you end up doing the 3M wrap and, if so, are you happy you did?

Did you end up doing the 3M wrap and, if so, are you happy you did?
I did not. Check with Michiman, a member in here. He did add them and now has 2-3 years with them. There are a few other members that have Vantage Guard, so maybe a few of them will chime in too.

I’m five years into the Vantage wrap and overall I’m satisfied. Last year the stern end on the starboard side started to delaminate/separate from the toon, but my dealer replaced it at no cost to me during the off-season. The product itself has stood up very well.

I've had the Vantage wrap on for two seasons and really like them.

20220730_144224.jpg20210606_122058.png

Greetings All,
I seen these on a boat in our community and wonder if anyone else has try these or has an opinion on them.

They are from Megaware here is the link
https://keelguard.com/megaware-pontoonguard/
I asked him if he likes them and he said he does and it helps keep dents and scratches off the edge of the toons, I guess they go on with 3M tape on back and seem to hold on ok as he has had his on for over a yr.

Any one have an option on these or ever used them? I have not seen them on very may pontoon boats and just wondering if I want to put them on my New 22' Benny when it arrives some time late March of this yr.
jonesjj3,

Do a search on "vantage pontoon protection" and you'll find my comments on installing and using the Megaware product. As I said in the post, I'm on my second season w/ the Megaware product, and it's holding fine.

Time spent carefully measuring the install lay out is time well spent. I used green masking tape to lay out the width of the Megaware product, which made installation easy. I mentioned that a second pair of hands is helpful. Make sure you follow the cleaning instructions, as that makes or breaks the install. And, you only get one shot to adhere the product, so make doubly sure you're putting it where you want it. There's no repositioning possible.

Jeff

Guys,

I'd like to clear some confusion as to the Megaware pontoon protection product. The 3M portion of the Megaware product is the tape on the back side. It's typically referred to as 3M VHB tape. It's a closed cell foam tape that has a tenacious grip/bond. It does a great job of bonding the rubber bumper from Megaware to aluminum logs, especially if the aluminum surface is properly prepared before adhering the VHB. Megaware provides good installation instructions.

Jeff

Going to bump up this thread. For those of you ho installed the 3M wrap wondering how they are holding up? On my current pontoon, it seems I do most damage when putting on the boatlift. It is extremely tight when driving on lift. I think I will try these out on my new boat. If I purchase one.

To all,

We just "wrapped up" out third year with our Bennington. If you look up in this thread, you'll see my comments on installing. After three years of use the Megaware product looks like the day I installed it. As mentioned above, a good set of fenders will certainly extend the life of the Megaware product.

When we bought our Bennington, our dealer wanted $2k for the Vantage product. I just couldn't see that. So, we went w/ the Megaware product, at a cost of approx. $330. I purchased four fenders from Amazon, and they've been amazing.

I had it installed on my QX. I was tired of seeing scratches or small dents on my previous Bennington. I think this does a great job after two years and definitely helps with the resale.

Back