Pontoon leakage test

skipg

Reaction score
I have a 2012 SSI which I purchased new.  The rear port side pontoon is suspect of a leak and taking on water.  When first noticed I took it to the dealer. They inspected it visually but did not have the ability to do a pressure test in house.  They suggested I monitor it to see if it got worse and it has. A call to Bennington when the problem was first noticed wasn't very informative.   Does anyone have any experience with this or other information helpful as to how to proceed.

thanks,

Skip galeone

Sorry to hear about your issue. Do you have photos of it listing and date reference points (if it sits in the water). What side is your fuel tank on? Do you have a trailer? If so once you leave the ramp hit the brakes and have someone on that side listen for sloshing around in the toon. Or let it sit out for a couple days and see what area is staying wet.

If you caught this early you will see bubbles in the water originating from the leak.  I say 'early enough' because the air pressure in the tube/toon is greater than the surrounding water so it won't let water IN until the air pressure inside the took is = or < the surrounding water.  At that time water WILL enter the toon.  If it's out of the water take some dish soap and smear it around the area you think is leaking.  If there is still positive air pressure in the toon you will see bubbles where the leak is.

I have a hard time wondering why your dealer isn't up on this.  I had the same problem with the rear starboard toon on my triple when I first got it home (I bought it used) and put it in the water.  Luckily I got it back out of the water before water entered the toon and took it to a guy who was/is extremely reputable with welding aluminum pontoons and he fixed it. 

If the slosh test or soap test doesn't work, a fire station would typically have a thermal imaging camera, which can be used to check liquid levels in large tanks (think tanker truck). They might be willing to do it as a training exercise.

With that said, the dealer should be handling this with no questions asked, very routine.

Good idea with the thermal camera.  If you know someone in the fire and water restoration industry they most likely have an Ir camera as well.  (I have 3)

PLEASE go through your dealer and exhaust that avenue first. If that fails please notify one of the mods on the forum and we will forward info to proper individuals.

Everyone, PLEASE do not advise other members to contact the factory direct.

This is not the proper process for warranty claims and just bottlenecks the process. Even though you "can", doesn't mean you "should". Give the dealer a chance to rectify the situation in a reasonable amount of time. 

Thank you for understanding. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Back