Pontoon Steering Wheel Chrome Dilemma!

Slainte

Reaction score
It seems the chrome "arms" connecting the steering column to the black steering wheel cause a glare to the Captain when out there in the bright sunlight. Has anyone ever had this issue? Any suggestions?

I weaved a towel around it when the sun glared. I'd use the same towel to drape over the dash and throw my phone and other things I wanted quick access to when docking or rafting. (Coozies work, but burning your lip on a can, I assume sucks!)

I'm not going to try that, Jared! I'd much rather use the Coozie for my beer! Thanks for responding!

I've never noticed such a thing, but I live in Michigan so the sun isn't known to make many sustained appearances. That said, perhaps using some of the blue painters tape would cut down on the glare but not muck up the arms/spokes. How's that for thinking out of the box... LOL

I've never noticed such a thing, but I live in Michigan so the sun isn't known to make many sustained appearances. That said, perhaps using some of the blue painters tape would cut down on the glare but not muck up the arms/spokes. How's that for thinking out of the box... LOL

Thanks, Michiman! Not so sure I like the look of the blue painters' tape but it is a great solution! I am suggesting that the Captain try adjusting the steering wheel slightly upward/downward to control the glare. Now, THAT'S thinking out of the box! (LOL)

Actually, on the same idea path, I was thinking install car decal vinyl, cut to closely match the spokes so you still see some of the spokes but cover the majority. Good quality vinyl will last 6-8 years in constant sun.

Or pick a color that you like and compliments your boat, and spray on vinyl coating. If you don't like it, peal it off and you have your starting product once again. Lot's of Jeep guys paint their rims with this and other products like it. Now, THAT'S outside the box!

Watch the whole video, and you'll see how easy it is to remove, too.

Back