Pontoon trailer Size

ssauerbry

Reaction score
My new RSR 2350 tritoon esp 200 Yamaha is being delivered on a week and I am concerned the trailer they PI it on is too small. It is a 22 ft

I need some advice

I assume it's a tandem axle, however?   Just wait and see what the trailer looks like with the boat on it.  It may be just fine.  A foot or two of overhang may be okay, but that's about it.  You also want the proper 10%-15% weight on the hitch.

A foot or two of overhang may be okay, but that's about it.  You also want the proper 10%-15% weight on the hitch.
You do not want ANY over hang.

The tube caps (and each seam) are where the vertical support is. You want the bunk under the rear cap.

If not you will eventually have deformed tubes where the bunks stop.

Keep this in mind also if you ever support the boat on blocks.

My new RSR 2350 tritoon esp 200 Yamaha is being delivered on a week and I am concerned the trailer they PI it on is too small. It is a 22 ft

I need some advice
I've got the same boat and have a 24' trailer.  I agree with Bamaman that all trailers are different and you should wait to see how it fits.  Talk with your dealer about it they should make sure it is setup right and fits properly.  Your boat is considered a 24' boat.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just looked at my 2350 RSR and on my yacht club 24' trailer there is no overhang.

Last edited by a moderator:
I second the above comments.  Purchased my boat used and the original trailer was a single axle trailer.  I purchased an aluminum tandem axle trailer with additional carrying capacity.  No worries now !!!

The main thing is to make sure it is rated for the weight of the boat, motor, fuel and all of the other things you will have on board.

Coolers, anchors and acceessories can add up to alot of extra weight, so be sure to factor those things in as well!

The total weight of your new boat, motor and trailer should be fairly close to mine which is 5200 lbs with full gasoline tank and 300 lbs of gear.   All weight data is available in your boat, motor and trailer specs.  Without a doubt you will need a tandem axle trailer to have a little safety margin.  Get the name and model of your trailer and look up the specs online.  The trailer specs will indicate what the pontoon boat lengths and maximum weight carrying capacity are for this particular trailer.  Next thing is to ensure the boat is positioned on the trailer to obtain correct tongue weight.  Double axle trailers are usually in the 7% to 10% range.  For example, my tongue weight is 410 lbs which is about 8% of total weight.  My boat, motor, and trailer tows perfectly on the highway.  

By the way, there is quite a bit of pontoon length on the front of my boat which is not supported with bunks but the end of the rear pontoons are about even with the end of the bunks which is a good thing.  The 500+ lb motor hanging off the back puts that weight on the rear of boat and trailer. 

Good luck with your new boat. 

Thank you all very much for your insight. I need look at the paper work to see the name on the trailer and look at the specification. I assume it is a tandem trailer.

I am looking forward to seeing the boat and now that ice is out on Lake Minnetonka I can test it out before we take to Lake Vermilion. Thank god winter is just about over

Trailer is very important if you are hauling a long way. We travel about 350 miles one way once or twice a year to our annual vacation lake and 50 to 70 miles to our local lakes. I ordered my trailer with 14" tires and made sure the trailer extended to support the center tube. It took two try's but I got it.

Another thing you really want to check is the load rating of the tires. Often the frames are the same, but the tires support different ratings.

HERE is a nice writeup of tire load ratings.

Weicome to the family of Bennington!!!! Just curious where on lake vermilion you are located? We live in southern MN but keep our Bennington at the Shamrock Marina, Blackduck Bay. You anywhere near there? Also looking forward to ice out before opening fishing.

With my 2250 GSR tritoon with the ESP package with a 250 Yamaha SHO on the back I was concerned about the trailer to. I got a 24' Mid- America trailer with middle toon support that extends out 2' farther then the outside toons to support the middle toon and the weight of the motor. I posted a picture of it in the gallery section. Hope this helps

With my 2250 GSR tritoon with the ESP package with a 250 Yamaha SHO on the back I was concerned about the trailer to. I got a 24' Mid- America trailer with middle toon support that extends out 2' farther then the outside toons to support the middle toon and the weight of the motor. I posted a picture of it in the gallery section. Hope this helps
I have the same one. Mine was the first one they made with the "bullnose" option you mention, designed to be similar to what EZ Loader does for theirs. It is very nice.

Serial #1. Nice job Tom!!!

Weicome to the family of Bennington!!!! Just curious where on lake vermilion you are located? We live in southern MN but keep our Bennington at the Shamrock Marina, Blackduck Bay. You anywhere near there? Also looking forward to ice out before opening fishing.

We will keep ours at Birch Point Marina - we have a water access only cabin

Where is the post on trailer tire rating differences?

My trailer does not have the bullnose for the center toon. Is that something I have to worry about? Don't trailer much for now. Just use to dry store the boat in marina.

My trailer does not have the bullnose for the center toon. Is that something I have to worry about? Don't trailer much for now. Just use to dry store the boat in marina.
I wouldn't worry about it in that case, as long as the rear caps are supported properly.

Back