Portable battery jump-start pack

Pilotnate14

Reaction score
Met my new 21slx at the dealer last week, take delivery next week. The boat had already been ordered with 1 battery. Asked about adding a 2nd battery, and they said it might be $300-400. In lieu of that, anybody here carry a portable jump-start battery pack? Ever use it to jump your boat? How much should I spend to get a decent one?

I have the Fat Max from Sam's Club. Plenty of power to start just about anything. It has some other features you might use also. But our new boat came with a two battery system so we don't even take it on board anymore....

I think you, with even basic mechanical ability, can install one for probably $150 or so. A good jump pack will cost you 1/2 that. Haven’t jumped boat, but jumped my completely dead car with it.

I have a jump pack, and have used it multiple times on the boat when I have left the ignition on after parking in my lift. Works like a charm.

I'm not sure, but I think we have 4 of the darn things! And there's only 2 of us.
Very worthwhile item to have around.

Here is the one I carry. Had to use it once, works great.

JumpPack.jpg

I have one of these. Have used it dozens of times while trying to track down a parasitic draw on my son's Tacoma when he was away at college. $99.95 on Amazon.

NOCO Boost Plus GB40 1000 Amp 12-Volt Ultra Safe Portable Lithium Car Battery Jump Starter Pack For Up To 6-Liter Gasoline And 3-Liter Diesel Engines

91wVViz9ThL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I had some doubts about the NOCO. The only way it would start the Tacoma was by engaging the high output function. Didn't think that should be necessary. So when I needed to buy another, I chose this one. $75 on Amazon. Haven't needed to use it once yet, so can't report on it:

Audew Car Jump Starter,1500A Peak 17200mAh 12V Portable Jump Starter (Up to 8L Gas or 6L Diesel Engine),Auto Battery Booster with Smart Jumper Cable,Quick Charge 3.0,Type-C,LED Flashlight

by Race_ing
91zkmEV-mWL._AC_SX679_.jpg

But I really like the small size and convenience of lithium jum starters.

Last edited:
Do you guys leave them IN the boat at all times? Or carry them on each time? Any concerns with the heat and lithium batteries? I've been looking at this one, but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

I keep in boat during the boating season, then i put it in my car.

I've got two batteries on the boat and still carry a booster on the boat. I really don't want to get stuck somewhere with no startup juice.
I've never ran one battery down and needed to switch to the other or needed the booster pack for myself but did toss it to someone at the boat ramp with a dead battery once, easier then trying to string jumper cables between the boats.
I put it on the boat at the start of the season and will put it back in my daily driver when the season is over.

This is the one I have

Interstate booster

I've used it to start my diesel pickup with stone dead batteries around 30 degrees outside and a friends 5.3L gas pickup with a dead battery when it was about 10 below. Worked great both times.

I've got two batteries on the boat and still carry a booster on the boat. I really don't want to get stuck somewhere with no startup juice.
I've never ran one battery down and needed to switch to the other or needed the booster pack for myself but did toss it to someone at the boat ramp with a dead battery once, easier then trying to string jumper cables between the boats.
I put it on the boat at the start of the season and will put it back in my daily driver when the season is over.

This is the one I have

Interstate booster

I've used it to start my diesel pickup with stone dead batteries around 30 degrees outside and a friends 5.3L gas pickup with a dead battery when it was about 10 below. Worked great both times.

Agree. I could see others needing it more than me. I'll probably pick one up over the winter. We drive a UTV down to our slip, so, could be helpful with that too.

I leave mine on the boat (under the helm) and recharge it every 6 - 8 weeks.

Jack M, good tip. I have one of a different brand and wanted a second. Went with the 2000 series for the extra USB capability. The info on it seems to indicate that it will not charge from the 12v output as my old one does, so will have to work around that. I like being able to top off my old jumper box from a vehicle/boat lighter output.

I have a small one in my truck, I use to help people maybe 3 or 4 times every six month, they are awesome and work very well. I recharge once a year and it’s still over 80% when I do it. I live in the south where it gets hot and humid even in my truck and hasn’t bothered it.

Back