Power Pole installation

Come Monday

Reaction score
To me, having a power pole when most of our boating includes sand bars is a no brainier. So, I called my dealer and had him set up an 8' blade to be installed before the motor is attached because the power pole bracket is installed in between the motor and the transom. Come to find out, he's had complaints that the water surge hits the bracket and sets off a rooster tail that soaks the motor and the back of the boat while under way at any given speed over 10mph or so. Power Pole makes what you call a deck bracket, but they are really ugly. The new Benningtons have such a nice aft deck that they stick out like a sore thumb. I upgraded to a teak aft deck and no way is there going to be a solid black piece of metal with bolts attaching it back there.

My only thought that would combine form and function is to have a bracket custom fabricated and welded to the webbing that attaches the deck to the pontoon. I did this with my last boat and it functioned great, but, my question is to anyone with a good idea how to make the bracket integrate with the already awesome aesthetic that Bennington provides. I'm not aware of such a manufactured bracket - but I'll throw it out here and see if anyone else has seen one.

My concern would be attaching to them might possibly void the structural warranty. I'd verify that before spending the time and money only to find out you can't do it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the pic. My problem is that I upgraded to a teak aft deck and I don't like that bracket bolted on like that. Picture having a fabricator weld a 1/2" thick custom aluminum bracket to either side of the webbing, and have it come back far enough to create what the pole in that pic is bolted to. I just want to bypass bolting to the deck - I think it'll have a sleeker flow, and probably be studier. I'm not even going to powder coat the aluminum. I think it'll look nice in its raw form.

So you are talking about mounting it to the cross members that run from port to starboard and are spaced like 16" apart. Why not just bolt it onto them if that's where you mean? I'd think you'd be ok if you spanned like three of the cross members.

This was my old Benni.  I think I want to replicate how my fabricator did this, but now on the new boats, the decks over-hang the back of the pontoons quite a bit.  So, if welding this same setup of an aluminum bracket to the aluminum webbing that connects the pontoons to the deck, I think it would have to extend a little further toward the front of the boat to make up for the cantilever off the back pontoon.  

Then, I think the bracket should come up flush with the back edge of the deck, but leave like an inch of space between the bracket and the back deck edge.  This way it's out of the water far enough so it isn't creating drag, and it'll give me a teak aft deck without a black metal brace bolted to it.

When power pole calls me for the design rights, I'll let them know that SemperFi8387 was part of it..   B)

Here is a picture of my 8' power pole.  Of course, this was taken from the boat, so it does not show how it looks on the boat.  Boat is in for break-in service, but I will take a picture from the back of the boat, when I get it back.

Hi Abypfcs - thanks for the picture. They offered me the same mount but I declined because now that I have my boat, and I need to post pics up in the gallery, I'm so impressed with the back extended deck which has a teak floor, that I didn't want that bracket bolted to it. I may not be right, but it just seems that over time that setup would weaken the what it's bolted to.

I just met with a custom fabricator on Monday and he is going to weld an aluminum custom made bracket to the transom which will divert the water under way while still holding the power pole steady. It's pretty slick - when he's done next week I'll post pics. Others may consider this after they see it.

Talk soon.

I heard word that my welder has got my bracket fabricated and will be welding it on tomorrow. The marina is going to follow with the pole install. I'll post pics of the bracket when I see it tomorrow.

I heard word that my welder has got my bracket fabricated and will be welding it on tomorrow. The marina is going to follow with the pole install. I'll post pics of the bracket when I see it tomorrow.
How did you mount come out?

Does it look like this?

10390155_660020364085303_8359583560381114350_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
DOH! Another helicopter snake !!!!!!!!!

That would make me crazy!

I posted a couple pics in the gallery. It's really strong and looks great. The water deflects to the side and down with no drag.

Ummm if I remember my snake ID the head on that one is shaped like a poisonous one ...... What kind is it?

Ummm if I remember my snake ID the head on that one is shaped like a poisonous one ...... What kind is it?
Not sure if the head is shaped as a pit viper.  If so, it would probably be a water moccasin, but I don't think so as they are normally darker and fatter and probably not that long.  My guess would be some sort of a harmless water snake.  I will post that picture on another board that there is a snake expert for identification.

Oh, and that is not on MY power pole.

Def looks like it has glands at rear of mouth, almost looks like a rattler ????

Diamondback water snake…harmless.

I got the identification from another board that I do, from a guy who specializes in snakes.  He actually does clinics and such teaching people about snakes.

Back