Problems starting motor??

Hartwell_Howie

Reaction score
I have a 2006 Bennington 2575 tri-toon. The key will not start the motor although all electrical devices (lights, gauges etc) are working. Any suggestions.
If this is not the right forum please advise and which forum would be correct.
Thanks veyr much!
Howie

Have you checked ,your fuses ,breakers and your safety switch ?

Welcome Howie! So, exactly what happens when you turn the key?

Nothing happens, no sound. Played with the throttle a bit tomake sure it was in the right position, no change. I have not checked the fuses. Will do. I am not aware of a 'safety switch'. Where would that be?
Thank you!

My guess is also the safety lanyard. Take it out and put it back in

Nothing happens, no sound. Played with the throttle a bit tomake sure it was in the right position, no change. I have not checked the fuses. Will do. I am not aware of a 'safety switch'. Where would that be?
Thank you!
Typically near the key switch. Should look something like this. This has the lanyard attached so this is how it would look in running mode.

BF80594D-22F8-4418-BBCE-338E6C2AA670.jpeg

I have a 2006 Bennington 2575 tri-toon. The key will not start the motor although all electrical devices (lights, gauges etc) are working. Any suggestions.
If this is not the right forum please advise and which forum would be correct.
Thanks veyr much!
Howie
Try to tilt the motor from the motor and or the throttle. It needs a lot of current to operate. If it does not work you may just have a dead battery. You could also just try another battery or charge it etc. Lack of the lanyard should not prevent it from starting.

If the the switch end of the lanyard is not connected to the safety switch it should not start ,unless its been bypassed . That is my past experience .
Try to tilt the motor from the motor and or the throttle. It needs a lot of current to operate. If it does not work you may just have a dead battery. You could also just try another battery or charge it etc. Lack of the lanyard should not prevent it from starting.

If the the switch end of the lanyard is not connected to the safety switch it should not start ,unless its been bypassed . That is my past experience .

Let me share this senecio. Say you are powering along with the clip attached to you and you standup hit a wave and fall over board. The engine stops. You are now in the water and the rest of your guests are sitting down and laughing at you! They need to start the boat and come and pick you up. You have the clip attached to you. Your method only leave them to paddle the boat to you or you to swim to the boat if you are conscious! Several weeks ago I tried starting my boat with the clip, pulled the clip, motor stopped, restarted the motor without the clip and It worked. One thing I did not try was to turn the key "all the way off" and try to start the boat without the clip. Next time I will try harder to get the boat not to start.

I believe there’s a switch associated with the lanyard that can be reset without the lanyard. Last summer one of the grandkids apparently played with the lanyard and when we went to leave, I thought we were dead in the water. It took me a second to check the lanyard but that’s what it was.

I was just at my dealer ,and brought up this topic .He also said " If the motor starts with out the safety lanyard attached to the safety switch ,there is something wrong with the safety switch or it is wired wrong "

I don’t think the safety lanyard not being attached will prevent the motor from cranking, just starting/running. Did 2006 motors even have kill switches? I would think that if the motor is not cranking then checking fuses/breakers is a good place to start. Trying the trim may not give you the information you are looking for as I’ve been able to trim the motor even though the battery wasn’t strong enough to crank the motor. If the circuits seem to be good, check all the connections then move on to charging or changing the battery. The neutral safety switch would be the next thing to check. Even if the throttle is in the neutral position, if the switch is bad, the motor won’t crank. After that, it’s time for a visit to a mechanic.

Also make sure the motor is in neutral. I had a 2001 Benny with a Honda 115 and had a real head scratcher problem once. Same symptoms as you. Known good battery, lanyard connected and tested, throttle in neutral position and neutral safety switch tested. Turns out the cable from the helm to the motor broke inside the sheath. Even though the selector clicked in neutral, the lever back on the motor was still in forward gear. So have someone move the throttle reverse/neutral/forward while you confirm the cable connected to the gear shift lever on the motor is moving as well.

Back