Prop Size for 2275RL W/ 150 Yamaha

Don't get nervous. I'm sure all is well with the motor. The Yamaha's are fantastic outboards. The F150 is a stout motor. One hi perf outboard shop that I deal with has dynoed several F150's. He has had 2 of them dyno at 171-172 hp. The least was mid 160's if I recall correctly. Just pull the cowl off the motor and check the throttle linkages to make sure that they are traveling full length to open. Two people works best. One to operate the helm throttle and one at the motor.

One basic question for you.......are you trimming the motor up at all while at WOT or are you leaving the trim all the way down? It makes quite a difference in speed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't get nervous,as I'm sure all is well with the motor. The Yamaha's are fantastic outboards. The F150 is a stout motor. One hi perf outboard shop that I deal with has dynoed several F150's. He has had 2 of them dyno at 171-172 hp. The least was mid 160's if I recall correctly. Just pull the cowl off the motor and check the throttle linkages to make sure that they are traveling full length to open. Two people works best. One to operate the helm throttle and one at the motor.

One basic question for you.......are you trimming the motor up at all while at WOT or are you leaving the trim all the way down? It makes quite a difference in speed.
Yep I was playing a few times with trim and gps and found that all the way down to about 3/4 up made about 5 mph difference. Almost all boats I have bben around seem to like about 3/4 up for best top end performance.

It's funny how some trim gauges can vary. My Suzuki only requires about 1/8-1/4 trim, while my brothers Yamaha will require 1/2-3/4 trim at WOT. We adjusted the trim sending units of both motors so that the propshaft is level with the tubes when the gauge is at the first mark. The gauges just actuate at different rates. Kinda interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't get nervous. I'm sure all is well with the motor. The Yamaha's are fantastic outboards. The F150 is a stout motor. One hi perf outboard shop that I deal with has dynoed several F150's. He has had 2 of them dyno at 171-172 hp. The least was mid 160's if I recall correctly. Just pull the cowl off the motor and check the throttle linkages to make sure that they are traveling full length to open. Two people works best. One to operate the helm throttle and one at the motor.

I'm constantly playing with the trim looking for the sweet spot. Thanks for all the help again. I'll check out the linkages and let you know what I find.

Doing other research has me wondering if the motor is possibly too high on the transom. It seems even with this new prop unless I have it all the way trimmed down on takeoff it feels like it's cavitating. I don't know, just throwing it out there.

Back