Prop Size for 2275RL W/ 150 Yamaha

hawkeyebenny

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 2007 2275RL with the performance package and a 150 Yamaha 4 stroke. I've noticed prop cavitation and the RPMs wont get above 4500 and top speed is 28mph.

The prop currently on the toon is a aftermarket 4 blade stainless, unfortunately I haven't had the opportunity to check the size and pitch.

I'm hoping someone on here could offer some suggestions that might have the same setup. Much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
I recently purchased a 2007 2275RL with the performance package and a 150 Yamaha 4 stroke. I've noticed prop cavitation and the RPMs wont get above 4500 and top speed is 28mph.

The prop currently on the toon is a aftermarket 4 blade stainless, unfortunately I haven't had the opportunity to check the size and pitch.

I'm hoping someone on here could offer some suggestions that might have the same setup. Much appreciated.
Hey, nice boat! Check my signature for your answer. B)

You will need a Yamaha 15 1/4 X 15 aluminum or black stainless or a full stainless Yamaha reliance 14.5 X 15.

Anything in 3 blade 15 X 15 range is what you will need.

Thanks for the help. I feel a lot better making the purchase now. Props are way too expensive for the whole trial and error thing.

My 24' SSLX w/Yamaha 150 hp came with a 14 pitch prop, but it easily over-rev'd. The dealer switched a Reliance 15 pitch prop, and it's right on 6000 rpm's @ 40 mph GPS.

I'd also say go with the Reliance 15 pitch 3 blade prop.

Hey there everyone, again thanks for the help. This is what I've learned in the past few days. The prop that is currently on the boat is a OSI by Turbo "offshore" 14 1/2 x 15 four blade, not a good match. Eventually I'd like to purchase a Yamaha reliance 14.5 X 15 three blade but for now I can afford B) a Solas Amita 15 x 15 three blade aluminum. It ran about 5400 rpm and went 33 mph according to speedo. That was with just me and 1/4 tank of gas in the boat. I can't imagine the Reliance could get another 5mph but that would be sweet.

I'd also like to say Bennington Pontoons are amazing and would have to be head and shoulders above the rest. The fit and finish, design, and comfort is unreal. You Bennington forum members obviously appreciate a top notch product. Happy Motorboatin :D

Here you go.....yamaha performance bulletin with your exact configuration.

http://www.yamahaout..._sab7a1.tmp.pdf
His boat is not an rli and doesn't have ESP. Bennington didn't have these in 2007. I have the same boat (2007 2275rl) and I get 39mph out of mine with a Honda and Enertia. The Yammy 150 makes more hp than the Honda 150. The Yammy is underrated.

His boat is not an rli and doesn't have ESP. Bennington didn't have these in 2007. I have the same boat (2007 2275rl) and I get 39mph out of mine with a Honda and Enertia. The Yammy 150 makes more hp than the Honda 150. The Yammy is underrated.
You're right. I saw "performance package" and thought "ESP".

Based on the numbers, Im thinking it's a 2 tuber with strakes and wave shield?? If it is, then 33 mph sounds about right. If its a 3 tuber than there is definitely an issue somewhere.

"Performance Package" is 3 tubes w/strakes. Ours is the same exact boat.

You're correct, but some folks get the terms "Performance Pkg" and "Rough Water Pkg" confused. He recently purchased the boat, so it's always a possibility. Hopefully he will chime in here with a clarification.

You're correct, but some folks get the terms "Performance Pkg" and "Rough Water Pkg" confused. He recently purchased the boat, so it's always a possibility. Hopefully he will chime in here with a clarification.
I'm not trying to be pickey, but he purchased a 2007 boat which is what we have with the same options and hp. Just stating the facts. B)

It has tri toons with strakes, wave shield, and the rough water package. My toons aren't the cleanest maybe that could be affecting the speed. I need to GPS the speed also to get a accurate reading.

Again, I appreciate all the helpful members out there.

Something is WAY off the mark and you have bigger problems it would seem. That combo should run 40mph fairly easily. I've set quite a few of those boats up with Suzuki DF140's and Yamaha F150's. Propped correctly, the 140's ran 36-37 mph and the 150's ran 41-42 mph respectively. But, all the boats I've done have been new and I've never dealt with dirty tubes to know just how much speed is lost.

I've tested plenty of Solas props with excellent performance results. Fact is, that's pretty much all I run on my own pontoon. They do typically run about 1-2" more in pitch than stamped though. If your tach is correct, than you should be running a few mph more than you are, but still nowhere near where it should be. I'd check the throttle to make sure that it's opening fully just to eliminate that possibility. If all is good and the motor is running correctly, those tubes must be VERY cruddy.

How big are the strakes on the new boats? ie 2" 4" or 6"

I've tested plenty of Solas props with excellent performance results. Fact is, that's pretty much all I run on my own pontoon. They do typically run about 1-2" more in pitch than stamped though. If your tach is correct, than you should be running a few mph more than you are, but still nowhere near where it should be. I'd check the throttle to make sure that it's opening fully just to eliminate that possibility. If all is good and the motor is running correctly, those tubes must be VERY cruddy.
Now your starting to make me nervous Ben & Suzy. The tubes I'd say are pretty clean, I Zinged the outer tubes when I bought the boat a few weeks ago. I'll check out the throttle and make sure it's fully opening. What exactly do I need to do to check the throttle?

Hey there everyone, again thanks for the help. This is what I've learned in the past few days. The prop that is currently on the boat is a OSI by Turbo "offshore" 14 1/2 x 15 four blade, not a good match. Eventually I'd like to purchase a Yamaha reliance 14.5 X 15 three blade but for now I can afford B) a Solas Amita 15 x 15 three blade aluminum. It ran about 5400 rpm and went 33 mph according to speedo. That was with just me and 1/4 tank of gas in the boat. I can't imagine the Reliance could get another 5mph but that would be sweet.

I'd also like to say Bennington Pontoons are amazing and would have to be head and shoulders above the rest. The fit and finish, design, and comfort is unreal. You Bennington forum members obviously appreciate a top notch product. Happy Motorboatin :D
After reading through this thread your boat is about the same setup as my last one "2007 2275 GL 3 tube fully straked"and I could squeek out 39-40 with the factory yamaha aluminum 15.25 X 15 prop and after switching to the same sized yamaha prop in black stainless could get 40-41 with me and my wife and under half tank of fuel. It would also run at 5900 rpms with clean, polished and sharkhyde coated tubes.This with a 2007 150 yamaha engine.

PM me, I would consider parting with my aluminum prop fairly reasonably so you would not have much into experimenting.

Back