Prop size to pull heavy skiers

Grady300

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 2006 2250 RSI tri-toon with planing strakes it has a Honda 150hp with a S3 14 1/4x17R prop on it. I can pull skiers and wakeboarders less than 160 pounds fairly easy. I weigh 235lb's and the boat won't quite pull me out on a single water ski. i tried several times with just 2 in the boat it almost gets me up just not the last bit. I have always required a bit more than the next guy my size not sure why.  I don't know much about props but I think a 4 blade would help just wondering what size in a 4 blade would be much better if anyone can help it would be appreciated.    

thanks in advance, BTW I love the boat its a blast!!!!

Welcome to the forum. Your boat is similar to ours and you should have a 15' pitch prop on it. I'm not one for 4-blade props and the Enertia we have is perfect. What is your WOT and speed?

It's all in the toes.

You can fix it with a new prop.

Or you can fix it with your toes. And or, a slightly wider ski.

I've coached a lot of bigger guys out of the water on a slalom ski. I haven't seen you ski, so I don't know for sure what to say, but what I usually see is guys sitting back on their ski too long. They feel like if they start to lean forward, they'll get pulled over the top of the ski. The easiest way to overcome that (if that's the issue) is...as soon as the boat starts moving...do whatever you normally do but push down hard with your toes in your front boot. That will force  your legs to let the ski start to level itself.

On one ski, the boat doesn't pull you out of the water like when you are on two. It's a joint effort between the skier and the boat. It's completely possible to hold your ski near vertical and make the boat drag you as far as you can handle. Or, you can join in the party and start to push the ski down with your front toes and foot.

Again, I've not seen you ski. This is more of a commentary on what I have seen a lot of times. 

And it's not to say that a lower pitch prop won't help the boat overcome the drag and get you out of the water. But the answer to your question might not be the prop. It might be one little trick at the other end of the rope. Push down with your toes.

-J

Last edited by a moderator:
It's all in the toes.

You can fix it with a new prop.

Or you can fix it with your toes. And or, a slightly wider ski.

I've coached a lot of bigger guys out of the water on a slalom ski. I haven't seen you ski, so I don't know for sure what to say, but what I usually see is guys sitting back on their ski too long. They feel like if they start to lean forward, they'll get pulled over the top of the ski. The easiest way to overcome that (if that's the issue) is...as soon as the boat starts moving...do whatever you normally do but push down hard with your toes in your front boot. That will force  your legs to let the ski start to level itself.

On one ski, the boat doesn't pull you out of the water like when you are on two. It's a joint effort between the skier and the boat. It's completely possible to hold your ski near vertical and make the boat drag you as far as you can handle. Or, you can join in the party and start to push the ski down with your front toes and foot.

Again, I've not seen you ski. This is more of a commentary on what I have seen a lot of times. 

And it's not to say that a lower pitch prop won't help the boat overcome the drag and get you out of the water. But the answer to your question might not be the prop. It might be one little trick at the other end of the rope. Push down with your toes.

-J
I'm one of those big guys, double wrap boots, and this is advice is absolutely spot on. This technique eliminates a huge amount of frustration. I pretty much gave up at one point when I started trying to ski again and totally forgot about this. A neighbor pointed it out and bang, I popped right out in a few seconds. Also, if you're using the "dragging rear foot" approach (rear foot as a rudder, then pop into the rear toe strap when stabilized), this forces the front toe push behavior, so improves your technique by default. With all that said, a 15p would help on the boat side.

Big Ole Son in Law last year,,, Saw the same thing  ,Could it be the same with a wake board?

Thanks

Big Ole Son in Law last year,,, Saw the same thing  ,Could it be the same with a wake board?

Thanks
Wakeboards should pop right up. So much surface area on the board...you can stand up on a wakeboard with very little effort. 

Another technique that helps the boat quite a bit is:

Pull the line straight with boat.  Then turn boat to a right angle (it will look like an upsidedown "L").  Turn towards the trailing leg.  This makes it easier the first few times as you are not pulling over the body.  Won't matter once you get used to it.  If right leg dragging or in rear boot then the boat makes "L" to the right...else left.

This gives the boat a huge mechanical advantage.  The driver of the boat punches it (straight - in direction to extend the "L") and is almost on plane before the skier is literally yanked out of the water.  The skier just spins slightly with the boat before being pulled out. 

We always used this technique back when the big motors were 70hp (late 70s), and continued to use it when the motors got bigger as it just made it easier on the skier.  Much less fatigue.  I'm sure it'll work great on a pontoon as well.  Not until I skied behind a Mastercraft did I not feel the need do this anymore.

Something you might want to try before spending $500+ on a new prop.

Interesting...

Everyone has different techniques when it comes to slalom skiing and getting out of the water.  The better the skiier, the easier it is to get him up.

We live on a very busy lake.  We seldom even see anyone water skiing, and just a few on wakeboards, etc.  Most people are getting their jollies on big tubes--which are very dangerous water toys.  I've seen tubers' ropes break in tight turns, and in two cases seen docks/boathouses broadsided with great injuries.

To answer your question:  Go to a 15 pitch prop and you'll see improvement.  To go to a 13 pitch, you'll probably be dissatisfied with the speeds generated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back