Prop Suggestion

Sheltoon

Reaction score
I am getting a 22SFX with a Yamaha 175 VMAX. Should I be looking for a specific prop or go with what comes on it?

Congratulations on the upcoming new boat. Very exciting!

I am VERY skeptical of dealerships putting on good props for pontoons. Just too many variables to account for from boat to boat between motor, HP, hull, weight, layout, intended use, etc. I’d research your motor and your boat model combo as best you can. Hopefully someone on here can chime in with a similar set up, but the 175 Vmax is a bit of an outlier HP motor, so not sure if anyone has it with a 22SFX.

To aid in recommendations/feedback, what hull do you have? SPS?

Last edited:
Reliance SDS 14.5x15 is the usual go-to prop for any of the Yamaha 2.8L engines.
I am getting a 24LSB with a Yamaha 250HP VMAX with SPS plus. Should I be looking for a specific prop or go with what comes on it ? - Dealer will place what Bennington recommends but I don't know what that is :)

I am getting a 24LSB with a Yamaha 250HP VMAX with SPS plus. Should I be looking for a specific prop or go with what comes on it ? - Dealer will place what Bennington recommends but I don't know what that is :)

Just checked the Yamaha Performance Bulletins for Pontoon rigged with the VF250, and it seems the most common prop is the Yamaha Saltwater II 15.75x15 (part# 6CE-45976-20-00). Top speed in the 43-46 MPH range, mostly.

Alternate options are the same Saltwater II series, but in 15.5x16 flavor (part# 6CE-45938-20-00) or 15.5x17 flavor (part# 6CE-45978-20-00).
There are a handful of entries in the YPB's for these two, and appears top speeds are in the 46-50 MPH range for either one.

Hope your dealer comes through, but might be worth asking now what make and model he intends to install instead of being disappointed come delivery time. My dealer put the completely wrong prop on the boat and claimed that top-speed was within spec. While top speed was adequate, it had terrible efficiency and took forever to get on plane. After datalogging to prove my case, it took a while for the dealer to source a substitute prop but that was even off the mark. I finally reached out to Ken at Prop Gods and ordered my own, and the dealer still owes me a prop (spare at this point). That was almost 1 year ago.

Given the shortage of props out there (or at least there was in 2020) I would recommend getting those details confirmed.

Also, is a low water nosecone needed or a good idea?
Why would you need it? I was under the impression you would want this if jacking up the motor to run skinny, but pontoons usually aren't running this shallow. I run in some tight areas probably 18-22" and even tilting the motor up I can get enough water to the pickup. I would be more worried about sucking in a bunch of mud/sand and prematurely killing my impeller.

Apologies if I'm not understanding the question correctly!

The prop the dealer has put on is
Solas 3531-145-15

Any comments? Toon is a triton 22SFX with a yamaha 175 vmax sho

For an I4 motor I think you'll hear most people recommend a Reliance prop to reduce prop chatter at low RPM. It's more expensive but for an extra $200??? you have many hours of much more comfortable boating.

From what I read the Saturn will be ok performance wise.

For an I4 motor I think you'll hear most people recommend a Reliance prop to reduce prop chatter at low RPM. It's more expensive but for an extra $200??? you have many hours of much more comfortable boating.

From what I read the Saturn will be ok performance wise.

Agreed. I would definitely want a Yamaha prop designed for the Yamaha SDS hub.

Sheltoon - Here are the Yamaha part numbers for the Yamaha prop that is a great match for the VF175, should you choose to pursue it with your dealer:

Reliance SDS 14.5x15 - 68F-45970-20-00
Standard spacer - 688-45997-01-00
Standard prop nut - 6G5-W4599-00-00

...maybe see if they'll throw those in as part of the deal while also giving you the Solas prop, since it never hurts to have a spare on-hand.

Just checked the Yamaha Performance Bulletins for Pontoon rigged with the VF250, and it seems the most common prop is the Yamaha Saltwater II 15.75x15 (part# 6CE-45976-20-00). Top speed in the 43-46 MPH range, mostly.

Alternate options are the same Saltwater II series, but in 15.5x16 flavor (part# 6CE-45938-20-00) or 15.5x17 flavor (part# 6CE-45978-20-00).
There are a handful of entries in the YPB's for these two, and appears top speeds are in the 46-50 MPH range for either one.
Yamaha Saltwater II 15.75x15 (part# 6CE-45976-20-00) is what the dealer is putting on my boat.

Loo at the Mercury Enertia. Made for tri-toons. Made a night and day difference on my ESP

Yamaha Saltwater II 15.75x15 (part# 6CE-45976-20-00) is what the dealer said they were putting on my boat - new 2021 Bennington 24LSB with Yamaha 250 SHO VMax with SPS plus.

BUT Instead Dealer put on Lexor 15.5 x 17 Part No. 9571-155-17 -

Should I question this size change and since the LEXOR prop swap is half the cost of a Yamaha Saltwater II 15.75x15 ??

Sure! However, it's possible the SWS II is not currently available and what you got is the next choice (demand is high for the whole SWS series). Maybe make a deal to get the SWS 15p or 16p after you try the Lexor.

Ditto PartyBarge. I woudl bring it up for sure, but my guess is the explanation is what PB said above. I’d absolutely talk about options on a SWS II once they are available. Such a proven prop for so many Yamaha people.

Back