Prop test data

JDB

Reaction score
Sorry PartyBarge I didnt mean to mislead you or anyone else.
When I mentioned overdrive I was talking about the propeller itself, as that is essentially our final drive gear ratio and
the 52 - 5300 RPM I'm turning at WOT effectively works like an overdrive.

Reaction score
I have a 2015 bennington gsr 2250 with the elliptical package. I have a Mercury 250 Verado with a 17 pitch Enertia prop. I am only getting up to 5700 rpm, should a get a smaller pitch prop?

Vikingstaff

Reaction score
I have a 2015 bennington gsr 2250 with the elliptical package. I have a Mercury 250 Verado with a 17 pitch Enertia prop. I am only getting up to 5700 rpm, should a get a smaller pitch prop?
In theory, if you drop to the 16 pitch, your RPM’s are probably going to increase 250-300. Again, on paper, you should have just enough room to do so before hitting your RPM max at 6000.

Question: is your current RPMs of 5700 at WOT on a light load? If YES, and if you can test a 16p Enertia for free, then it might be worth it. However, since you are very close to at max now, I don‘t know how much you’ll gain vs. the cost of another Enertia prop. As close as you are now to your RPM limit, I certainly wouldn’t spend money to test it.

Vikingstaff

Reaction score
Fully loaded, 54 gallons of gas and 4 adults.
Then I would not change up prop myself. Typically you want to track your RPM at WOT on a low load because your RPM’s will be higher. You want the HIGHEST your RPM’s will go to be as near (but under) your motor limit as possible. If you are already at 5700 RPMs when fully loaded, then the reality is you are likely at, maybe even slightly high, for RPM’s under a light load.

IMHO, you are likely all set based on the additional information. :)

PartyBarge

Reaction score
JDB, no worries. Recent F250's typically are running 1.75 gears. Your SWS 20P at 2-to-1 would be roughly equivalent to a 17.5p with 1.75 gears.