Proper Size of Dock Line for 20' Toon

AuthorizedUser

Reaction score
Hey everyone... when I get it next year, I will be keeping my new Benny at a very busy marina with four floating docks. My dock will be protected by a series of boat house (see aerial photo). Even when it's windy or choppy, my dock remains fairly calm (storms are another issue, but I've never seen what it's like during an intense storm). My dealer is providing four 3/8" dock lines as part of dealer prep. Is this an appropriate gauge line? In my youth growing up in Annapolis, we used 1/2" line for everything... from my dad's Formula 23' I/O to my little 12' Whaler with 9.9hp outboard. While 3/8" seems very appropriate to hold the boat to the dock, it's hard for me to get used to that gauge line when my hands are so used to the heavier line.

1600347674320.png

I would move up to 1/2" lines minimum. Compared to other types of boats, pontoons with their fences act like parachutes. When the wind blows, they will put a lot more force on the lines compared to more traditional V-hull style boats. Dock lines are not that expensive. Maybe ask for the dealer to increase to 1/2" and pay the difference in price if they are not willing to just upgrade.

I recommend the bungees. I had my boat in a slip for a couple months. They work great!

Attachments

• 1886F39B-939B-49BF-A6E0-BB1603888CBF.png
    1886F39B-939B-49BF-A6E0-BB1603888CBF.png
    243.8 KB · Views: 24
IMO, take the 3/8" from the dealer and keep them on the boat for when you go to another marina, restaurant, tie up, etc. Grab new 1/2" lines and keep them affixed to the dock, at the appropriate length, so when you pull it, you just need to loop it on your boat cleats and you're good to go.

Hard to tell in your pic if you have fingers on both sides of your boat, but if you do, it's similar to mine and I used 6 lines. Tied at each corner, then 2 spring lines from the end of the dock finger, up to the bow cleat. Keeps the boat off the front dock. See picture. This setup worked great all summer and survived a hurricane.

Attachments

• IMG_0812.jpg
    IMG_0812.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 41
IMO, take the 3/8" from the dealer and keep them on the boat for when you go to another marina, restaurant, tie up, etc. Grab new 1/2" lines and keep them affixed to the dock, at the appropriate length, so when you pull it, you just need to loop it on your boat cleats and you're good to go.

Hard to tell in your pic if you have fingers on both sides of your boat, but if you do, it's similar to mine and I used 6 lines. Tied at each corner, then 2 spring lines from the end of the dock finger, up to the bow cleat. Keeps the boat off the front dock. See picture. This setup worked great all summer and survived a hurricane.
Actually, there is one finger pier on only one side of the boat. So, the front bow lines are criss-crossed to the main dock cleats, then the stern line is tied to the outermost cleat of the finger pier, and then a spring line is tied from either the bow or the stern to a center finger pier cleat. Great idea about keeping the dealer-supplied lines as additional tie up lines for other docks I may visit during the day. I will buy the half inch line for my slip.

3/8“ is probably fine inside the other dock fingers. I’m on an end/one sided tie off, and get wakes (yes our lake does have them with 20hp boats) and I have 1/2” but I got a good deal on them. I’d feel comfortable on my end with 3/8”, or as stated pay the difference to upgrade. It can’t be much

3/8“ is probably fine inside the other dock fingers. I’m on an end/one sided tie off, and get wakes (yes our lake does have them with 20hp boats) and I have 1/2” but I got a good deal on them. I’d feel comfortable on my end with 3/8”, or as stated pay the difference to upgrade. It can’t be much
Thanks for you input. Cost is not an issue; I just want the most appropriate line... not too weak so it doesn't hold properly... and not too strong that it is overkill and looks stupid. :)

I have a 20SFX and have used the 3/8” line in the slip since I have had the boat with no issues. I have pilings at the stern and midship so I cross the 2 bow lines to the pontoons from the dock, 1 line to each stern cleat and a spring line from the stern to the bow port side clip. I tried the bungees in the stern but the boat was always crooked in the slip and I couldn’t straighten it out until I replaced one with a line.

3/8" is fine, the quality of the line is more important

I bought this to use on my dock - https://www.amazon.com/Extreme-Max-...07G8HQP64/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

They have different colors as well. I leave them tied to my dock with some slack to use the looped side into my boat's cleats. I also 2 spring lines as well just for extra piece of mind. These have held up fine with my 25' Tri-toon on a rather windy dock, in a no wake zone though.

Back