Proper SUV for 21' SLX & 115hp motor

Full size SUV or truck w/ V8 combined with a double axle trailer with brakes. Don’t skimp on the trailer and ensure it has quality radial tires.

There's a lot more than just towing capacity that you need to look at. Another thing to consider that's just as importance is payload capacity of the vehicle. For instance, with my F150, my payload is around 1750 lbs, I believe. This value only includes the driver (no passengers) and a full load of fuel. With the weight of a family of 4, plus the weight of any gear or supplies you're taking with you, all the extra weight needs to be subtracted from your payload total. On longer trips, all this extra weight subtracted from my payload, will only leave me with around 800 lbs of tongue weight, which is fine for my boat. However, the payload capacity on a SUV will be a lot less. Even with a 2021 Toyota Sequoia, with a V8 engine that can tow 7000 lbs, it's payload capacity is only 1300 lbs. Once you subtract the weight of passengers and gear, you may not have much left for tongue weight.

You can tow with many types of vehicles. But a minivan vs. RAV4 vs. Expedition vs. F350 will offer varying levels of comfort, fuel economy, ability to handle a wet ramp, margin for error and safety in emergency situations etc.

PartyB makes a good point that you don't need to overkill your tow vehicle - but I think you need to evaluate your own experience, comfort level, aversion to risk, quality of trailer and unique circumstances. Probably most of us are "weekend warrior" types so a beefier vehicle is probably a logical choice. For others a Chrysler Pacifica is perfectly safe. But one thing is a constant here - we will gladly help spend your money! :)

CDAEE447-7147-4024-90C1-C2ED41B905CF.jpeg

It's not pulling the boat that is the critical factor in my mind. It is stopping the boat in an emergency or swerving to avoid an accident. I had a race car trailer that the ubolt axle attachment broke and the trailer ran over the tires on the axle at 70 mph. The kids were sleeping in the back of the Suburban and the trailer twisted the hitch. If I had been in anything lighter it might have flipped the tow vehicle. Our 22' boat scaled weighed at 4,900 lb. I tow with a Ford Expedition Max and the trailer stills rocks the truck when I pass the semi's. I am towing at 50% of rated capacity and that helps protect myself and the family. I have towed with Suburbans and Extended length Expeditions since 1986. The size of the vehicle has saved me multiple times. The safety outways the expense of the truck, the mileage, need for a bigger garage, "since you have the truck, You can take all our stuff to Canada :) "
Side Note - The trucks works when you have 5 Grandkids in safety seats to take back to the house for a overnight so the kids can have a date night.

Plenty of body on frame SUVs that can handle towing just fine.

Nissan Armada/Infiniti QX80
Toyota Sequoia/Lexus GX 460
Chevy Tahoe/GMC Yukon/Cadillac Escalade

...just to name a few.

I'm looking at the Tahoe and Yukon's with the 5.3l v8. The Max Trailering Package appears to be not very common in available dealer inventory, in general.

Considering the 3k lb dry weight of my pontoon, trailer, motor, I'm trying to figure out if the Max Trailering Package should be a deal breaker or not.

I am certainly going to continue hunting for one with this package, but I am trying to figure out how much of a deal breaker vs. nice to have this should be.

I'm looking at the Tahoe and Yukon's with the 5.3l v8. The Max Trailering Package appears to be not very common in available dealer inventory, in general.

Considering the 3k lb dry weight of my pontoon, trailer, motor, I'm trying to figure out if the Max Trailering Package should be a deal breaker or not.

I am certainly going to continue hunting for one with this package, but I am trying to figure out how much of a deal breaker vs. nice to have this should be.
I think this falls under PB's sentiment. It looks like a pretty good package - heavier springs, auto locking diff, optimized gear ratio, transmission cooler etc. - but I wouldn't search the ends of the earth or pay a big premium for it unless you had a heavier boat.

With all the boat and RV sales going on it doesn't surprise me the inventory on these are scarce.

I have towed with a Ford Expedition (9200 lb. capacity) w/a tow package since 2008. No problems pulling or stopping our heavy R I/O.

Depending on the ramp angle you use (and it doesn't take much) you will wish you had got a 4X4 of some kind. Wet ramps can be impossible to pull a boat out. Go on youtube and search "site six havasu" to see what I'm saying. That ramp is not very steep and the people go there just to watch people struggle with trailers. It's cheap entertainment!

Another thing that hasn't been discussed is mirrors. As wide as pontoons are any vehicle smaller than a full sized pickup will prolly not have mirrors that would be legal to pull a pontoon. Even those need to be pulled out. Expect to install some "mirrors on a stick" crap if you go with a smaller tow vehicle.

Last thought - your rig will certainly weigh over 4000 lbs. with trailer and gear onboard. That's more than small SUVs can weigh. Just sayin

After all the research I've done at this point I've got my target set on a use / offlease Yukon or a Tahoe with a 5.3 l V8 with 4wd and the max trailering package. The boat dealer told me the pontoon plus engine and trailer dry weight is just over 2,900 lb so I feel like with this size of vehicle I'm setting myself up for a comfortable driving and towing experience.

After all the research I've done at this point I've got my target set on a use / offlease Yukon or a Tahoe with a 5.3 l V8 with 4wd and the max trailering package. The boat dealer told me the pontoon plus engine and trailer dry weight is just over 2,900 lb so I feel like with this size of vehicle I'm setting myself up for a comfortable driving and towing experience.
2900 lbs seems light, but agree the 5.3 V8 4wd will be AWESOME! Per Benny Build Standard Options - boat is 1,900 and don't think that includes any extra's. Add the extras (battery, bimini, ski bar, etc) motor, gas, trailer, food, beer..... but well under limits of the truck you are looking at!

I’ve owned two Yukon’s in the past, and a 4WD Yukon/Tahoe will take care of your needs just fine.

Last edited:
Does the Yukon 5.3 have the AFM or DFM? Read over at BBC (bass forum) that it can cause problems so an ECM flash delete might be something to consider.

I have a 22’ 2 toon with 115. Tow it with a 2007 Chevy trailblazer with an in-line 6. 4 WD for pull out Is helpful. This only seats 5, but the point is you do not have to go too big. The boat you describe is not all that heavy. I also tow a 21‘ bow rider. Much heavier, and it‘s also fine with that. The specks on autos provide towing capacity. so with boat/motor/trailer/stuff and high end passengers/stuff in auto + 20% for the sake of additional capacity, you can see what will or will not work.

Does the Yukon 5.3 have the AFM or DFM? Read over at BBC (bass forum) that it can cause problems so an ECM flash delete might be something to consider.

Yes, they sure do. Some family of mine had a Tahoe and the AFM system started acting up, I think it was the lifters. They took it to their local mechanic, whom said they would have to replace the the engine for about $7500, or do a full delete kit (new lifters, gaskets, etc) for around $3500 installed and it would run in V8 mode full time, with no real detriment to fuel economy.

It's running like a top just after 50K miles since the AFM delete.

As another point of reference: One of our sons just recently completed another towing trip. The return was Islamorada to Jacksonville, ~425 miles in ~8.5 hours, single driver and stops for kids. That's towing total weight of ~5500 with a high T-top using a Durango RT AWD. The 10 MPG average is surprisingly good for that speed,,,,but, Fl is flat.

I'm going to be picking up my first bennington (22 svsr sps) here in the next month or so and plan to tow it 200 miles with my old '01 GMC Sierra 5.3 4x4. She's been well taken care of and I just had the brakes, tires, bearings replaced. From reading this thread, hopefully I have no issues!

Yes, they sure do. Some family of mine had a Tahoe and the AFM system started acting up, I think it was the lifters. They took it to their local mechanic, whom said they would have to replace the the engine for about $7500, or do a full delete kit (new lifters, gaskets, etc) for around $3500 installed and it would run in V8 mode full time, with no real detriment to fuel economy.

It's running like a top just after 50K miles since the AFM delete.
This is what happens when you try to get too cute with technology. I get it - EPA and CARB may drive some of these things, but adding more sometimes means more can fail and reliability suffers. In the end, was that extra 1mpg really worth it?

Some of the Toyota body on frame trucks and SUVs haven't been redesigned in years but still sell like hotcakes, reliability probably being a major reason. And my F250 (OB) is old tech and not as sexy as a new V8 Merc, but if I can get 2000 reliable hours out of it as many people do I'll be happy as a clam.

And my F250 (OB) is old tech and not as sexy as a new V8 Merc, but if I can get 2000 reliable hours out of it as many people do I'll be happy as a clam.
I know an Yammie F250 with 1500+ hours, no issues and like-new compression. Keep oil in it and you'll be fine.

I'm going to be picking up my first bennington (22 svsr sps) here in the next month or so and plan to tow it 200 miles with my old '01 GMC Sierra 5.3 4x4. She's been well taken care of and I just had the brakes, tires, bearings replaced. From reading this thread, hopefully I have no issues!
You should be plenty good if you went with some version of LT rated tires (Light Truck). One of our knock-around vehicles is a Dodge Journey that I will likely never use of towing for a couple reasons, not the least of which are the car oriented touring tires. They are good for MPG, but not so great for sidewall stability. If you have time, grab one of these:

When our son moved up in boat size (towed weight up about 1500-2000# to ~5500), it prompted a new hitch and up grade to no nonsense tires. As of today, he also has a cushion hitch ball on the way too....

Last edited:
Back