Protection for polished pontoons.

KK&Pops

Reaction score
I recently polished the pontoons on my 2020 Q23 and am curious if other members have tried a sealant that will help retain the shiny appearance? I’ve heard mixed opinions on Sharkhide and wondered if anyone has experience with Marine 31 Pontoon & Aluminum Sealant.
Thanks in Advance.

i have tried it all (shark hyde, 2 brands of ceramic rated for protection below the water line) ended up putting paint protection film. I have a love hate relationship with polished toons!!!

I know nothing about this company ,I read about them last summer when I was boatless .

Thanks Jack M … never heard of SG Marine (Metal Jacket) but the video looks very appealing. I’ll dig further. I appreciate it.

I think three variables that greatly impact how well anything helps keep the pontoons looking shinny over time is a) the type of water you boat in, b) the degree to which it sits in water and c) if one ever wipes the pontoons down on a regular schedule. I think these factors also impact greatly the mixed results you have read about with Sharkhide, and I would assume other products as well.

Alas, since we have only used Sharkhide, I don’t have any knowledge or experience with other options. However, Sharkhide has worked very well for us since 2017.

Good luck, and don’t be shy sharing back with us any research you do.

Last edited:
Please let me know the results if you do try it .

Great feedback Vikingstaff. I’m leaning towards Sharkhide mostly because many people have had a positive experience like you have had and also that’s the product recommended by my Bennington area dealer.
Thank you for your input.

Sharkhide is the way to go. If it sits in the water fulltime, it won't last very long though.

Ive spoken to Clint at Sharkhide and it does wear off below the water line in a couple of weeks . BUT ,it is still easier to wipe off the slime than an untreated toon . I get it reapplied every other season .
Here is a pic of my dealer doing the reapplication on my 2014 ( I didnt have the 2020 long enough to reapply ) .
1651160197648.png

I wish our dealer offered a service like that Jack. They wont remove or reapply Sharkhide. :( I think its a great service option as it would be optimal to reapply periodically.

KK&Pops: For us, our boat has always been out of the water when not in use. On a canopy covered lifted the first two years, and up on Sea Legs ever since. Only in the water when using it. We are in a shallow lake, that gets the sandy bottom stirred up periodically, but the water quality is otherwise very clean - no algae, slim, etc… to deal with. Due to these thinks, I have been perpetually lazy and have only wiped down my actual pontoons like twice since getting it in 2017. They really held up looking great over the years, but I should reapply at some point soon.

I'm surprised all dealers don't offer that . It's a money maker .
If it were offered by our dealer…they would have made money from me twice now. :p

Even though I'll be doing winter storage in my garage, I'll still be having the dealer do the sharkhide . I have no way or desire to lift it off the trailer in my garage .

Even though I'll be doing winter storage in my garage, I'll still be having the dealer do the sharkhide . I have no way or desire to lift it off the trailer in my garage .
Kind of my issue, but I don’t even have a trailer. Dealerships drops it in the water and pulls it out for me seasonally. Hence, me not having reapplied Sharkhide since purchase. The set up your dealership uses looks great!

This will be my first trailer, if the dealer can get it up my driveway . When we built tour house we had the garage built large enough to store our boat.

Sharkhide is the way to go. If it sits in the water fulltime, it won't last very long though.
Below the waterline ….

Even though it wears off below the water line ,it's still helps with removing the slime . If you are in a slip all season you will get slime on your toons,with or without sharkhide .

Back