Purchase advise 22-SSRXP

blusky2006

Reaction score
Hello all,

I plan on purchasing a 2020 Bennington 22-SSRX Tri-toon and I'm looking for advice on options and engine size. I don't want to miss any 'must have's' that I should order now. Should the motor size be a 150 Mercury PR XS 25 or a Mercury 200? We're on a ten-lake chain and will be mostly cruising typically just two of us with occasional guests up to six or eight people and won't be water skiing or tubing for the most part. I plan on the in-floor storage, extended aft deck, Kicker stereo, Rub rail, power steering, elevated helm, deluxe tow bar, SPS.

Suggestions and recommendation are needed and welcome.

Thanks

Sounds like a great setup. I would recommend a Yamaha 200. I have a Yamaha 150 on my 2018 22GCW and it’s excellent motor but the extra HP would be great. The absolute cheapest time to buy extra HP is when you purchase the boat.

Why a Yamaha over a Mercury?

I’m also thinking a Shorestation 5000 lb. hydraulic boat lift with a 28” canopy. Will that be sufficient?

For what you described for use you will be in good shape with either the Mercury 150 or 200. As mentioned above, cheapest time for HP is at original purchase. We have a 24’ SSBXP SPS with the 200 Mercury Verado Pro. Love our Mercury! It is an amazing motor with excellent performance.

You will be good to go with the 5000lbs Shorestation lift. The 28’ canopy will more than cover your boat.

Why a Yamaha over a Mercury?

I’m also thinking a Shorestation 5000 lb. hydraulic boat lift with a 28” canopy. Will that be sufficient?

Personal preference really. I had a 2015 Merc 115 on my last boat. Never had an issue with it but it was louder then my 2018 Yamaha 150 HP. Also, the break in schedule for Yamaha is easier in my opinion:
Yamaha break in schedule:
1. First hour – run the motor at varying speeds up to 2000 rpm (approximately half throttle if there is no tachometer).
2. Second hour – accelerate hard enough to put the boat on plane (do not use full throttle) then back off of the throttle but keep the boat on plane.
3. Next 8 hours – run the motor at all speeds but avoid continuous running at Wide Open Throttle (WOT) for more than 5 minutes at a time.
4. After completing the 10 hours of break-in, commence normal operation.

Mercury break in schedule:
1. For the first two hours of operation, run the engine at varied
throttle settings up to 4500 RPM or at three‑quarter throttle,
and at full throttle for approximately one minute every ten
minutes.
2. For the next eight hours of operation, avoid continuous
operation at full throttle for more than five minutes at a time

Yamaha & Mercury are both fine engines you would not go wrong with either. For me I would choose the one that my dealer mainly sells and services as that is where I would be bringing it in for service

I have the new V6 Merc 200hp and love it. You can't go wrong with either a Merc or Yamaha.

Get as much hp as you can afford. I have a Yamaha 200 and it has been bulletproof.

For the boat, I would say get 2 captains chairs. I did not, and wish we had. More comfortable for my wife. Also add wave shield.

Agree the Shorestation you are looking at would be good.

I was happy with the craftlander lift I had in MI

Hello all,

I plan on purchasing a 2020 Bennington 22-SSRX Tri-toon and I'm looking for advice on options and engine size. I don't want to miss any 'must have's' that I should order now. Should the motor size be a 150 Mercury PR XS 25 or a Mercury 200? We're on a ten-lake chain and will be mostly cruising typically just two of us with occasional guests up to six or eight people and won't be water skiing or tubing for the most part. I plan on the in-floor storage, extended aft deck, Kicker stereo, Rub rail, power steering, elevated helm, deluxe tow bar, SPS.

Suggestions and recommendation are needed and welcome.

Thanks
I have a 2019 22ssrxp with sps and a Yamaha 150. At WOT (6000rpm) with 2 people and the biminis closed, I get a top speed of 39 mph. If you’re looking to break 40 get the 200 hp.
Otherwise the 150 works fine for me. I normally run 2-3 people and cruise at about 25 mph running about 4200rpm. I just had 9 adults aboard and to 25 mph I was running at about 4500 rpm.
I have plenty of power to tow a wakeboarder or a tube.

I’d say the only thing that makes me wish I had the 200hp would be that ability/desire to break 40mph:p otherwise I can do everything else I want to with the 150 and get pretty good gas efficiency with the 150.

Great advice. I’m planning to order the duel caption chairs and blackout package. Does Yamaha offer a black engine? I read they offer a great warranty.

Thanks for continuing the conversation.

We have a 2019 22ssrxp and love it. We have the sps with a merc 150. Top speed was about 39 but it dropped off quite a bit as we are on a dirty river and it stayed in the water and by the end of the season we were only hitting about 33. That made me wish I had the 200 to overcome my toon growth but I had already added more options and such than I was planning on and but I am still happy. I had the boat loaded and also with just 2 of us and it always did good. I pulled double skiers and I have slalomed behind it with no issues and I am about 250lb and used to ski competitively. We put on about 75 hours this year and it was a bad year as our river was flooded quite a bit and it has been a great boat. We also have an older malibu ski boat and that saw less that 10 hours this year because the Bennington was a better fit for what we were doing. 2 other members of our boat club where the pontoon is docked also bought the same model boat after seeing ours and I dont remember a year when there was more than 1 new boat a year in our club Let alone 3 very similar. Any questions let me know and I would be happy to answer.

Great advice. I’m planning to order the duel caption chairs and blackout package. Does Yamaha offer a black engine? I read they offer a great warranty.

Thanks for continuing the conversation.
Black Yamahas in the HP range you are looking include the VMAX SHO series.

My R23 is black w/blackout so I thought a VMAX SHO 250 or big Mercury would look nice, but my dealer who sells both insisted I go with a Yamaha 300 (which I did). His lead outboard mechanic recommended the same. I still [visually] second guess my decision but trust my dealer, however many on the forum seem happy with their Mercs.

Black Yamahas in the HP range you are looking include the VMAX SHO series.

My R23 is black w/blackout so I thought a VMAX SHO 250 or big Mercury would look nice ...... I still [visually] second guess my decision but trust my dealer, however many on the forum seem happy with their Mercs.

Check on getting upper portion of your motor and cover wrapped. Should be fairly inexpensive.

I’m leaning towards getting the Mercury 200 with power steering. It seems like both engines are relatively equal in performance and reliability. At least now I’ll have a black engine with the black out package.

The Yamaha 150 does everything I need it to, power steering really enhances the boating experience.

I’m leaning towards getting the Mercury 200 with power steering. It seems like both engines are relatively equal in performance and reliability. At least now I’ll have a black engine with the black out package.

The reality is both motors are outstanding. It can also depend what version of the motor one is getting too when getting the 200HP

Frankly, the most practical thing to consider since both are good is where you will have to get it serviced IF you have any problems, or IF you will have a shop or dealer do your basic annual maintenance. If you go with what your local place services, that will alleviate much headache and extra hurdles over time.

That said, I wouldn’t want to trade my 200 HP Merc Verado Pro for the life of me. The supercharger paired with its 6 cyl is a beast at that HP range. Hole shot and power arc are amazing. It also looks pretty cool with my dark boat and blackout package.

8E67AA0C-39E0-4C18-9861-A76B12E3432A.jpeg2EAE07DE-451D-425B-BC78-F9C51870BD91.jpeg9C46055F-0D6C-49F8-865B-C8B3523C2FFB.jpegA14C4549-57ED-41AB-B3E5-90D63ABE78D6.jpeg

Back