PVC vs Carpet

Dougncrew

Reaction score
I will start with why I am asking. The boat ramp I use is too short. in order for me to get the bunks wet all the way to the front my tires fall of the end of the ramp and I am destroying my trailer when I pull it back up and on. I have bent my fenders back til they are touching the tires.
So I have heard that is you replace the carpet with PVC (4"x 4" covers cut in half) the boat will slide on and off easier so I do not have to back in all of the way.
So here are my questions.
1. will this help with loading and unloading the boat as I am looking for?
2. Will the PVC damage the aluminum?
3. I am thinking of just replacing the front half of the bunks with PVC so that the boat doesn't slide too easy. Any issues with that?
Please let me know what you guys have heard or seen . thanks

I'd suggest buying sheets of UHMW instead, cutting to size, and bolting down with flat head stainless sheet metal screws. You'll need to countersink the holes in the plastic. UHMW is lightweight, naturally slippery, and inexpensive. It's used on wear applications on industrial machinery and won't damage your tubes. You can buy it from Mcmaster Carr and other places. It would be an easy project if you're handy.

Any way you can use a different ramp that accomodates your trailer? Even if you do the PVC project you might have a hard time loading your boat back on the trailer because your trailer is not far enough in the water......or you'll be doing alot of winching.....

I just take a 5 gallon bucket with me and wet down the front half of my carpeted bunks. Try that and see how it works.

I went ahead and bought some vinyl runners and will give them a shot. I just thought about the 5 gallon bucket this morning. Changing ramps is possible but way inconvenient. I will post the results.

You can also try spraying furniture polish on the carpet, I've heard of people doing this with wakeboats to get them to slide easier on the bunks. I've also heard that it works really well to the point people are afraid to pull their boats up the ramp without the transom straps on just in case the winch fails and sends the boat flying off the back of the trailer!

You should also contact DNR or whoever controls the ramps and ask if the drop offs could be filled with ballast. It’s not just an annoyance, but dangerous if someone were to walk off the edge, fall and smack their head on a trailer, and possibly drown .... it could easily happen ...

Doug,
What ramp are you using? I've never had an issue at Windsor.

You can also try spraying furniture polish on the carpet, I've heard of people doing this with wakeboats to get them to slide easier on the bunks. I've also heard that it works really well to the point people are afraid to pull their boats up the ramp without the transom straps on just in case the winch fails and sends the boat flying off the back of the trailer!

I'd be careful as there could be a chemical reaction with the aluminum toons.

Back