Question for the smart people

BulldogsCadillac

Just some guy
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I have a question (surprise surprise!) our dealer asked us to take a couple for a ride in our Bennington the other day, they are interested in one and were unsure about making the 3.5 hour trip to just see if they even liked the Bennie's, we'll I'm happy to report I think they did. Great couple, and as they were talking to my wife they brought up a concern for them boating. You see their daughter is deaf and they worry about her swimming around and not knowing that the engine has started. Which I believe is a very understandable concern. So my thought came to what about having a light, or even let's say 3 lights, all on the back of the rear deck, even like the little amber lights used for marker lights on trailers, and have them hooked to the ignition so that when the motor is on they light up, thus being a clear indicator to be careful. I thought about red lights, but who knows if the boat police would see a problem because of navigation laws, but I wonder about amber lights? Also would you just hook it into whenever the key is in the ON position, or go all out and figure out a way to have them turn on only when prop is engaged? The ON scenario I believe definitely seems easier. What are your thoughts? This has nothing to do with me, I don't even know if they will buy a Bennington, but I like to try to solve problems, even before or without having being asked too!! Haha who knows, maybe it will help someone else.

Derrick

Here's my answer as I believe it should be everyones. On our boat, nobody is in the water if the motor is running, or should I say I make sure nobody is in the water around the boat when I get ready to start it. Kids are kids whether they can hear or not but ultimately it is the responsibility of the "captain" to insure the safety of his or her passengers. My $.02

Last edited by a moderator:
I do not think that there's a need for lights. With my Merc there is a constant stream of water coming from the outboard when it is on. Pretty obvious. Also even the best of inboards or outboards vibrate. Even if the vibration is not visable, it can certainly be felt by touching another part of the boat.

Thats our policy as well, If the motor is running, the swim ladder is up and all are aboard.

Brian

On our boat, nobody is in the water if the motor is running.......Kids are kids whether they can hear or not but ultimately it is the responsibility of the "captain" to insure the safety of his or her passengers.
Ditto!

Spinning props and people do not mix. About 15 - 20 years ago I unfortunately came upon an accident, a young lady was cut by a prop at a popular "sandy beach", it's not something I'll ever forget.

Steve

Carl & Suzi and the others, I agree completely. Not exactly the same circumstance, but had a post in the Midwest section about the Sad Day thread. I too have seen the results of what props can do. Ladders up, everyones in the boat and a quick scan about before the engine starts. My $.02 Gerry

Just trim the engine up until the prop is out of the water. Then crank the streering wheel to the side opposite the boarding ladder.

My reply is like others, if she or anyone is in the water, it is the captains responsibility to ensure all clear before starting engine. Matter of fact, probably a good idea of whoever is piloting, to pull ignition key so no one else might accidentally start the boat, or at least pull safety lanyard. The ONLY other option, may be a prop cage, but fingers and hands can still get in that. That would only be a band aid to the cure.

As I said, it was just a concern that this parent had for their child, the child is not young, but they were thinking of an inboard motor and there is no stream of water. I realize that when people are in the water it is off, but there is always 'the one time' scenario. She didn't say it was a problem, just that it always worried her, as any parent would worry about hazards with their child. As I said, I just like to solve problems before they are problems. All your comments are acceptable and really are the correct answer, I was just thinking through my fingers on the forum! :)

Derrick

Back