R23 / Yamaha 300/ ESP

Cwright

Reaction score
I have this on order. You guys with this rig what prop are you running?
Thx!

Check out this link/thread. As you go through it, I’d imagine you will find your configuration: R23/Yammy 300. :cool:

Boat Specs

Not a 300 owner (250 sho). You’ll need a 15 1/2 x 16 or 17 pitch SWS II.

I have a 2020 23RFBA with ESP and a 300hp Yamaha. Bennington recommended a 15.25x16 Saltwater, but I requested and got a 15.5x17 Saltwater II per recommendations here. My prop seems pretty well matched, though not sure having the motor mounted in the lowest position was the best choice.

I have a 2020 23RFBA with ESP and a 300hp Yamaha. Bennington recommended a 15.25x16 Saltwater, but I requested and got a 15.5x17 Saltwater II per recommendations here. My prop seems pretty well matched, though not sure having the motor mounted in the lowest position was the best choice.
What is you WOT RPM and speed?
Thanks

I'm running a 15 1/2 X 17 Yamaha saltwater 11, that the dealer installed. It seems to work fine for what I do. Basically a day cruiser.
I have 300 Yamaha on R23 with same prop and top speed is 47/48 and could probably do better if i raised my motor.

I have a 23GSB yamaha 300 with 18 14 1/4, it seems ok but i have no exp with outboards or pontoon boats so.....

Depending on your objectives consider a Merc prop. Yamaha SWS2 props are good "all around" props and have the nice dampening hub. But a Merc prop could net you a few more MPH in particular the Enertia. Raising your motor 1 or 2 holes will also increase efficiency and speed, but there could be tradeoffs especially if you're doing a lot of sharp turns in choppy water (slight ventilation).

It's all about tradeoffs so once you define objectives that will steer you in the right direction.

Good luck!

OK, so I finally got the new boat in the water and I was a little disappointed in the performance. I couldn’t make the tight turns I wanted to without considerable prop slip. I didn’t request a certain prop, I let the dealer rig it. They installed a Power Tech 15-1/4”x15 four blade. With a light load WOT is dead on at 6000rpms, top speed about 41-42 mph. Motor is mounted in second hole.
My past experience with 4 blades has been good (on I/O ski boats). They typically grip better I thought. I wasn’t overly disappointed in the speed but I want the tight turns. The identical boat I drove last summer would put some G force on you in the hard turns. I know it had a 3 blade prop but know idea what it was. Do you guys think the SW2 you are suggesting would improve this issue? I definitely will try one.

Definitely, based on the fact that I had essentially the same boat but heavier and a smaller motor (250 SHO) and had a higher top speed and LOVED throwing it into a corner! I would think it should be a 17 as well. I honestly don't remember what hole my motor was mounted in, but that also plays a huge role.

Definitely, based on the fact that I had essentially the same boat but heavier and a smaller motor (250 SHO) and had a higher top speed and LOVED throwing it into a corner! I would think it should be a 17 as well. I honestly don't remember what hole my motor was mounted in, but that also plays a huge role.
Are you running the SW2 17?

Are you running the SW2 17?
Yup, in my signature

(Edit: if you are on your mobile phone browser, turn it landscape / sideways and you'll see it)

I have a g23 /300 /esp. I put a sw2 15.5 16p, I haven't had it in the water yet but plan to this weekend, I will let you know how it works out

I didn’t request a certain prop, I let the dealer rig it. They installed a Power Tech 15-1/4”x15 four blade.
Not what you will want to hear, but here it is: You had very good advice earlier in the thread that went unheeded. Looks like your first mistake was what I isolated in the quote above. Switch it up based on the expert first hand advice above and I am sure you will be thrilled with your new boats performance.

It’s a heck of a boat configuration, and capable of MUCH MORE. I can appreciate not being very impressed with its current performance. You’ll get it there, and once you do, it’ll be fantastic!!!

Back