Radio on the 2014's

Jack M

Reaction score
With the " Tune Tray " is the connector for the Iphone/Ipod a Lightning or the old style 30 pin connection ?

I have the Apple adapter ,I believe that  would be too large

Thanks 

I believe its old style unless they recently changed it.  Would need a small lighting to 30pin or a short lighting to usb and take out the ipod adapter.  Sony may have updated the radio to support a the new lightning cable.  My sony stereo is a @ 3 yrs old (30pin) and then received an ipod nano, tried using the lighting to usb cable, about about broke the radio.  Perhaps if the cable was a little shorter?    

If your radio and ipod/iphone are bluetooth. The new ipod nano, new ipod touch and iphone are all bluetooth compatible.  If your stereo is bluetooth, you could pair it up and go wireless.  I prefer this, this way you can change songs from a lounger without having to go to the radio or the remote on the dash.    

HTH!

I have the Apple adapter ( don't buy the cheap ones ,they don't have the correct chip to recognize it )  ,it adds 3/4 of an inch to the length ,I don't know if that would make it too long  .Old boat is still in storage and the  new still has the factory wrap ,cant check either .

Everything has blue tooth .

I may have to use the blue tooth and just plug it into the usb port to keep it charged .

This is the 30 pin 

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh I know, I have one of those radios on my motorcycle.  Just telling you from personal experience, I didn't buy a lightning to 30 pin.  This might work http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD823ZM/A/lightning-to-30-pin-adapter?fnode=72 but with the sony adapter it may be too big. Might be able to use this and not use the sony adapter http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD820ZM/A/lightning-to-micro-usb-adapter?fnode=72  but you'd also need a micro usb to usb cord (really short).  

Honestly, if you're worried about charging, you could look at:  http://store.apple.com/us/product/HB254ZM/A/incase-mini-car-charger-with-lightning-cable  or one of those 12 volt usb hubs, and use your lighting to usb cable.  

Another option is a portable usb drive, but then you're stuck to controlling the radio with the remote. Less than $20 for a 16gb one.

I prefer bluetooth, just for the wireless factor.  If your idevice is charged you should have many hours of music before the battery dies.

A fella on a Harley Davidson forum thought the 5s with a lighting plugged in might be too tall to even fit in the tray regardless of usb or 30 pin adapter. Might just have to bluetooth it.

The reason I want to keep it hard wired is blue tooth cuts the battery life in half .

On the R's  ( Derrick correct me if I am wrong ) the usb is under the helm with the radio .

I have seen the G's with one on the dash .

That is my other option ,dont use the tray and get a long cable .

I wouldnt think it cuts it in half, now I use it with my ipod, not a 5s, but it should be better. No they don't, or didn't have a usb plug in the dash on my current boat. I assume that has to do with the stereo choice more than anything since my 2012 rcw had a usb port on the dash. It didn't have the bluetooth stereo though. I would think you have 2 fairly easy solutions. One is to buy one of those standalone battery packs (my sister has one and they work well and are cheap) the other is to install a usb port in the dash and run it to the stereo. You might even be able to get the exact one that Bennington uses from your dealer. I will try to dig out my book and see if it shows any additional usb inputs on the rear of the deck or if you would have to plug into the front.

I forgot all about the battery pack ,I have one . :D

My RLi has a USB plug on the rh side of the helm. I keep my iphone plugged in almost all the time as I'm usually surfing the forum all day on the boat .... :)

That is what I saw at the dealer yesterday .

Dave ,do you have blue tooth  also ?

My RLi has a USB plug on the rh side of the helm. I keep my iphone plugged in almost all the time as I'm usually surfing the forum all day on the boat .... :)

I think my radio does, but if it does I don't use it. I pretty much just listen to radio. Only time I listen to my phone music is when I'm mowing the field at work.

Thats interesting that a USB port  it is not offered on R's ,on the helm 

Now we have plugged our iPod shuffle into the auxiliary input to listen to that once in awhile.

Thats interesting that a USB port  it is not offered on R's ,on the helm
Are you sure it's not standard? I have the raised helm and I have one or two of them on the right side where my fishfinder is. They have plug covers on them like my 12v outlet on the left side.

This is from the RCW features page

Sony M6 Stereo behind console door with Dash Mounted Remote, USB Port, 12v Outlet & MP3 Recess

According to the spec sheet and Derrick the only one listed is under the helm .And that may be the one on the radio .

Mine is still factory wrapped. I haven't been able to check it out , other than take a peek through the port side gate where the zipper is 

Back