Raised helm or not YES or NO

Do you favor the raised helm?

• Total voters
The beautiful R23 SWB I bought from a fellow forum member a couple of months ago has it and I'm glad it does. It's the first boat I've had with it. It does make the helm look more luxurious. But it's only about 4" tall and IMHO, doesn't make a ton of difference in forward visibility. You're still going to be looking over someone's head. It would be a tough call, but for around $1000, I probably wouldn't add it if I was ordering a new boat.

Took delivery today of a LX23. Love everything about it except the raised helm. It looks good, but there's a foot panel that's angled back toward the driver seat, and I have zero leg room. I'm 6'4" and feel like I'm driving a kids toy with my knees way up. Requires tilting the steering wheel to school bus position for my knees to clear. Trying to find out if there's an option to raise the seat higher so I can fit!

Took delivery today of a LX23. Love everything about it except the raised helm. It looks good, but there's a foot panel that's angled back toward the driver seat, and I have zero leg room. I'm 6'4" and feel like I'm driving a kids toy with my knees way up. Requires tilting the steering wheel to school bus position for my knees to clear. Trying to find out if there's an option to raise the seat higher so I can fit!

You can get a bolstered seat that flips up (my option instead of the raised helm) or change the seat pedestal so it can be raised higher. I would talk to your dealer and/or take a look at the Springfield options online for a DIY solution.

E3D58C82-A34C-40C4-BDCF-5DCCD3AE46BE.jpeg

I am also 6'4" and have a raised helm . I move the seat back and have no issues .

I have the LX22 with raised helm. I agree with you on space. I am 5'10". I will try tilting the wheel. Does not seem I can remount the seat further back. I need to get closer to see the Simrad and further back to relax. I still like the raised helm but not sure if I would order again.

Do the seats have a front to rear adjustment ?

Age will solve your leg room problem. I was 6'7" years ago with a 38" inseam. Now I'm 6'5" with a 34" inseam. LOL. My "diameter" is the opposite now. HA !!

I have a 2022 LX26 with the raised helm and felt like it was still low when we received it from our custom order. I looked into changing the base, but it is bolted through the fiberglass riser and would have to remove the aluminum skinning off to access the bolts.

My amazing dealer put me In touch with a rep from Bennington and he told be that on the raised helm the seat post is 2” shorter than the regular post with no riser. He told me this was done to keep an ergonomic relationship between things…..Obviously, they’re not asking customers. So basically, if you get a 4-inch raised helm you’re actually only gaining 2 inches of height.

I’m only 5’-6” and I thought it was low. The rep from Bennington and I both agreed that the easiest thing to do was to integrate a filler piece between the seat and the base.

I figured that it would be best to raise the seat about 3.5” to have better visibility of the Simrad and above people. I use 2 custom cut 2x8 and mounted them together, drilled aligning holes, drilled out the original seat frame threads, then replaced the factory screws with bolts and…..perfection!
I also sprayed the wood with Grey plastidip to give them a nice finish that matched the interior so it looked factory.
The attached pictures are not the best but you get the point. I can take more detailed ones if requested

Attachments

• BEFA8F30-AE5B-4939-8454-2114D9CD99A6.jpeg
    BEFA8F30-AE5B-4939-8454-2114D9CD99A6.jpeg
    114.7 KB · Views: 46
  • 77EF97AE-A960-4107-9B51-C80080EEF39D.jpeg
    77EF97AE-A960-4107-9B51-C80080EEF39D.jpeg
    105.4 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
The rep from Bennington and I both agreed that the easiest thing to do was to integrate a filler piece between the seat and the base.

I figured that it would be best to raise the seat about 3.5” to have better visibility of the Simrad and above people. I use 2 custom cut 2x8 and mounted them together, drilled aligning holes, drilled out the original seat frame threads, then replaced the factory screws with bolts and…..perfection!
I also sprayed the wood with Grey plastidip to give them a nice finish that’s matched the interior so it looked factory.
Attached pictures are not the best but you get the point. I can take more detailed ones if requested
Good information on the net 2" rise and great solution. Way to think outside the box.

Good information on the net 2" rise and great solution. Way to think outside the box.
I have a 2022 LX26 with the raised helm, and felt like it was still low when we received it from our custom order. I looked into changing the base, but it is bolted through the fiberglass riser and would have to remove the aluminum skinning off to access the bolts.

My amazing dealer put me In touch with a rep from Bennington and he told be that on the raised helm the seat post is 2” shorter than the regular post with no riser. He told me this was done to keep ergonomic relations between things…..Obviously they’re not asking customers. So basically, if you get a 4 inch raised helm you’re actually only gaining 2 inches of height.

I’m only 5’-6” and I thought it was low. The rep from Bennington and I both agreed that the easiest thing to do was to integrate a filler piece between the seat and the base.

I also sprayed the wood with Grey plastidip to give them a nice finish that’s matched the interior so it looked factory.
Attached pictures are not the best but you get the point. I can take more detailed ones if requested
Thanks for the suggestion! I guess a good test is to put a 2 inch pad on the seat before doing the modification. Like a measure twice cut once theory.

BennyBoat, thanks for sharing! Yes, some better pictures would be great if you think about it. I have to say, that’s one good looking boat you have there. Love the interior colors.

BennyBoat, thanks for sharing! Yes, some better pictures would be great if you think about it. I have to say, that’s one good looking boat you have there. Love the interior colors.
Thanks for the feedback! I really wanted colors that pop and that give it a very high-end look. I will post some more detailed photos from below the seat in the next day or so. I'll be honest with you, The seat height is worked out so well, I can't even imagine sitting almost four inches lower.

Last edited:
Some close ups of the setup. Pardon the red undertones, as the the cover was on while I took these photos

Attachments

• 17E3BE46-33C3-4A92-960A-A133DC113167.jpeg
    17E3BE46-33C3-4A92-960A-A133DC113167.jpeg
    150.2 KB · Views: 29
  • 96B7925B-8FFC-4049-991E-3C8C0817E52C.jpeg
    96B7925B-8FFC-4049-991E-3C8C0817E52C.jpeg
    152 KB · Views: 30
  • 0D3F5524-AF77-49B5-B61C-B371E8060404.jpeg
    0D3F5524-AF77-49B5-B61C-B371E8060404.jpeg
    107 KB · Views: 27
  • 6BD71ED7-609B-4FF0-B6A0-0C4EED949AED.jpeg
    6BD71ED7-609B-4FF0-B6A0-0C4EED949AED.jpeg
    108.2 KB · Views: 29
Looks good. I'm going to have to look at mine now. I don't like how low it feels either. The projects never seem to end! I could probably help myself out by not looking at this forum quite so much :D

All, I took the end date off on the voting, so if you’re so inclined, feel free to cast a vote. I was talked out of the raised helm. I like the look and thought the 4 inch’s would be a big help. I now see it’s really only a 2 inch improvement due to the shorter seat base. I really do like the bolster as it opens up the seat area if I want to stand and it’s a real height improvement. Not super comfortable for a long sit though. My ideal solution would be bolster and raised helm, but that combo is not allowed. Now that we have the genius wood insert idea, I’m going to try that out and see how it works out. Still like the raised helm look though— —next time.

My ideal solution would be bolster and raised helm, but that combo is not allowed.
Someone else shared the Bolster Buddy item a couple years ago. It basically achieves what you mentioned above. I have the raised helm, but as a shorter guy myself, 5’8”, it certainly isn’t enough. I’ve eyed grabbing a Bolster Buddy as it seems to be a nice bolster add on idea, and has good reviews. The person in the forum that recommended it (sorry, forgot who…?) loved it.

Bolster Buddy Website

Thanks for the feedback! I really wanted colors that pop and that give it a very high-end look. I will post some more detailed photos from below the seat in the next day or so. I'll be honest with you, The seat height is worked out so well, I can't even imagine sitting almost four inches lower.
Is that yours in the forum pictures up top ? Black and red ? Very, very nice !! Looks familiar. LOL

Back