Re-rigging a new 2375 GCW

bobbtopdog

Reaction score
Hello Everyone - first posting!!

We are negotiating right now on a new Bennington 2375 GCW.  The boat is factory rigged Mercury, however after evaluating engines we are more interested in putting a Yamaha V-Max on our first 'toon.  (Yea, I know it's like a Chevy versus Ford situation)  :wacko:

The boat we're looking at has factory installed Underdeck Wave Shielding.

Our question is  . . . should the dealer be able to somewhat easily re-rig the boat from Mercury to Yamaha?

THANKS in advance for your help!  :)  

I don't see this as an issue. Might have some additional holes in the helm where the controls mount but hopefully those would be hidden. Is it rigged with a Verado? I'm a Yamaha guy but I know several on here are happy with their Merc's. Plus if the boat is currently set up with a verado (built in power steering) switching to a Yamaha will require adding some steering upgrades.

THX for your quick pick-up on my topic.

No, the boat is not rigged for a Verado.

What I'm envisioning is that the dealer should be able to attach a flexible cable to the engine end of the rigging, pull out the factory rigging from the helm end, attach the cable to the engine end of the Yamaha rigging and then using the attached flexible cable pull the new Yamaha cables through to the engine compartment area.

Am I somewhat on-target or all-wet??

Last edited by a moderator:
I wanted to go from a Merc 150 to a Merc 200 ( long story ) 

Cost prohibitive because of the labor involved going from analog to digital controls

.Which I was told would be the same as changing manufacturers 

It would have been less to order a new boat 

Analog to digital is $$$. Changing from one rig to another might cost you a little labor but I wouldn't think it would be cost prohibitive. 1 - 2 hours at the most of additional labor. This is only a guess of course.

P.S.,

Back in Sept I checked into the bigger motor and analog to digital. 3K - 4K was the guess for the digital alone...

Switching manufacturers involved the same basic items needing to be switched as going digital . Plus wave shield and at least one of the tubes had to be pulled .

Dealer was offering me either 11 or 12 k on my motor trade and I still would have had to pay another  8 or 9 k .Not worth it to me for 50 hp.

Is the dealer is picking up the tab ?

THX, everyone for your insights - I really appreciate all the help and shared expertise!   

I don't think I'm going from "analog to digital" in that I'm only considering whether to go with a Merc Command Trust 115hp or the Yamaha V-Max 115hp.

So, in my simple mind I believe changing the factory rigging may only involve swapping-out the throttle control lever box and the associated cables from there back to the engine.

But, perhaps I'm missing something in my thinking - wouldn't be the first time!  :)

Have you asked the dealer if there is a added cost ?

I don't know about the 115hp configurations, but for the larger Merc engines they use Mercury Smartcraft (digital bus) SC1000 gauges. Perhaps for the midrange engines they use an adapter harness so the stock Sterling analog gauges can still be used.

Doesn't matter what brand the 115Hp is NOT enough motor for a 23' G

Rembrandt Dave it could be worse. We have a 9.9 restricted lake here. Pretty lake, never been on it. Very strict.

THX, everyone for your insights - I really appreciate all the help and shared expertise!

I don't think I'm going from "analog to digital" in that I'm only considering whether to go with a Merc Command Trust 115hp or the Yamaha V-Max 115hp.

So, in my simple mind I believe changing the factory rigging may only involve swapping-out the throttle control lever box and the associated cables from there back to the engine.

But, perhaps I'm missing something in my thinking - wouldn't be the first time! :)
Keep the Merc setup. Spend savings on Merc 150.

+1 on the 150

I have a 2275 GCW with a 150 Yamaha on it and couldn't imagine having less power.  I do have the ESP package though, what toon setup does this boat have?  

Back