Rear-Facing Loungers: Big Group (Socializing)?

jimmiefan48

Reaction score
I am new to the forum. We are looking to purchase a Bennington for next year. As far as the rear facing loungers, I could see how they would be nice for those wanting to enjoy the view of the wake, while underway. But, what happens if you have a large group...say 13 people and want to socilaize while underway?

thanks

Mike

Not much different than any model with that many people. Some sit up front and some toward the rear. I think difference is you have pretty much the whole center open to walk back and forth without obstructions. I really like the design.

You don't have to lounge when back there, we have a group of 4 + kiddos that sit back there quite a bit, but, we do have the stern lounge upgrade, providing padding to lean against. The only challenge we had so far is... (this is not on all models) their leg rests on the volume up of the lounge remote, impeding everyone's conversation on the boat. For some reason everyone looks at the Captain... I immediately point to the person directly behind me. LOL

(My corrective action is to either turn the remote upside down, so they turn the volume down, or locate a cover. )

We have a sslx with the double rear lounger and love it. Typically it is just the wife and I on the boat and it makes the perfect place to relax and float around. Everyone who has come over and seen the boat loves the rear lounger. If your worried about some not being able to be in the conversation, just put the in laws in the back!!! (I love my in laws by the way!)

When ur on the rear loungers its not like u can't hear the conversation or be part of the party and most if the time you can have 2 people per longer no problem.

Is there a changing room/Porta pottie storage area? Can it be used with a crowd on board?

I have a 2275GCW and love the back loungers. Thats the whole reason we bought this design. We find there is no problem when 'under way' with conversation (quiet 4 stroke) as two people each can sit on them, but best is when we are just floating and the sun is just right, and the beer is just out of the cooler. Turn up the tunes....

I have had 13 on my boat and it has not been any problem to socialize while underway. As stated before, those sitting on the rear loungers are not out of the conversation any more that those sitting in other locations like towards the bow. With the stern gate closed we somtimes have 4 people sitting on the loungers facing the center and they are comfortable and able to vist with the rest of the group. I love the seating arrangement.

Jack

We have a 2275 GCW, too. One person can lounge on each side, but two people can sit comfortably on each side. The lounge upgrade is worth it for the padding around the sides and the speaker in the corner, in my opinion. It makes it more comfortable to lean back against the side of the lounger. My wife and I can sit side by side on one lounger lying down , but neither one of us are large people. It is also nice for the kids. Depending on their size multiple can sit on the loungers. Socializing isn't an issue, but I do find that the people in the loungers tend to talk and then the people towards the bow tend to talk, not so much of people from the bow talking to the people in the stern when underway. It's noisy, windy, etc. We love the design with the two rear loungers and it works well for us.

Welcome to the party jimmiefan48. He's my driver too.

You are right to ask the question regarding the rear-facing loungers possibly dividing people on the boat. In my opinion, it kinda sort of can divide the group some, but that would happen anyway with that many people as there's always more than one conversation going on. But the boat is only so big to begin with, so I don't find it to be a big deal at all. It's not like the people in the back are shunned from the rest of the group. We absolutely love our double wide lounger while anchored and watching the boats go by or the sun go down. I would never trade it for the traditional sundeck pad that pontoon boats have historically had.

I've yet to hear ONE person say they don't like their rear-facing loungers. THAT should give you your answer.

Which boat model are you considering? There's a wealth of knowledge/experience here to help you weigh pros/cons of different models and some things to consider when selecting a motor brand and size...

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, I'll be that "ONE" person who disagrees. My first Benny was a 2250 gcw with the Loungers. At first we all loved them. But as time went on, the people sitting in the rear felt left out or didn't like having to turn around to be in a conversation. I then traded to a 2275 rli which has the traditional seating. Granted, I did not trade simy for the seating but also for a larger motor and the ESP tube package. However after I traded, everyone loved the new seating. Even the ones who loved the loungers. I think it really is a matter of personal choice. The wife and I loved the loungers when it was just us two out for a cruise, but with a full load, (kids and grand kids), everyone loves the traditional seating more. Since 90% of the time we have the whole crew with us, it works better for us. The other issue we had with the loungers was getting everyone in the shade in the hot Texas sun. Our RLI has the double Bimini top which makes a huge difference for shade. Again, just a matter of choice.

Sorry to be the downer:) but just my two cents.

Double Bimini's are silly....

Just Kidding!!!!!!! You are 100% correct, it is a matter of choice. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
We were close to purchasing an R with rear-facing lounges and I do admit it is definitely the sexiest looking boat in the lineup but when we saw that the privacy would not support a free standing commode left in the open position along with the fact of the social setting for large crowds we are happy we selected the RLi setup.[and we think the R is a pretty sexy looking boat as well] So I agree with BigTop & Rockie, decide what is important to you and how you are going to use it and then pick your Benny. The important thing is get out on the water!

Here is a photo from last weekend, was having dinner at the marina, kept running into friends and they all wanted a cruise on the Bennie!
Girls_On_Bennie.jpg

We don't socialize a lot and we're a small family so maybe doesn't apply to your situation, but here is how we used our rear loungers yesterday with my wife, daughter, 2 grandaughters, anchored out.

We did a quiet cruise around the lake and the 4 on the loungers were sound asleep while I drove and found a spot to stop. This was the first trip with the girls on the new boat and after holding our sleeping 2 yo grandaughter all the way around, my wife said "the best boat ride EVER!" No one sat in the front seats at all but I was able to carry on conversation just fine with them in the rear.

Also, with the power top option, we are able to tilt it back so it's resting over the top of the loungers, so everyone back there was in the shade. It's the first time we did that and it works great, thanks to our dealer's suggestion.

Here is a photo from last weekend, was having dinner at the marina, kept running into friends and they all wanted a cruise on the Bennie!
Girls_On_Bennie.jpg
Gee, must have been so rough .... A boat full of women ...... :)

Ahh, the rough life of a Bennington owner!

Hey Mike!! Welcome to the family. I went through the same thing you are with trying to find the right layout, last Fall. A brand new layout surfaced last year that we didn't notice until December. I was just as leary about the loungers as you. Great comfortable lounging, but not the comfortable seating capacity you mentioned. We decided on the RSR, and absolutely love how this layout works. The table works excellent in this scheme, and we adore the King and Queen captains chairs!! The seating in front and rear are also loungers in their own right. An armrest pulls down when used as a lounger both front and rear. Yet when you want conventional seating, you have comfortable seating for many. The GSR is the same layout, but without the fold down armrests. We also purchased the ottoman for the Queens comfort, and the gate seat to add more seating if need be. The gate seat works in both front and rear of the boat.

Like everyone says, you have to be comfortable with your decision. But no matter which one you choose, you will be very happy!!

Good Luck and have fun!!,

Jimmy

Back