Remove the Sony Radio

highpond

Reaction score
Does anyone take the Sony of your boat when it's put up for the winter?  I left mine on last year but was wondering if the winter weather and moisture will get inside. The second ? is how does it disconnect. I know that one button will disconnect the unit on the left side but does it swing out to unplug the antenna or is there another release?

I took my out last season . I did not this year .

The face-plate is that only part that is removable .No need to un-plug the antenna . 

The radio electronics are coated for Marine environments. I let mine in. I wouldn't worry unless it's a theft issue, then I'd remove. You need the stereo removal tools and just pop plugs off the back.

Who steals cd players anymore? What is this, 1996?

I've never taken my Sony stereo out in 7 years............but remember as far as theft is concerned..........if it's not locked, nailed down or screwed down somebody is going to take it! 

Theft isn't the worry, it's letting it sit all winter with dampness under the shrink wrap. Thought that it might get moisture inside and screw it up. I have a release on the left side but it  only swings out a small amount. I guess I'd have to get under the Helm to release and disconnect the hole unit.  I'll leave it where it is for the winter. Must be covered by warranty.

Highpond......

Make sure you put several containers of Damprid throughout your boat. It will absorb any moisture. I put the container in the middle of a foil pie plate filled with mothballs. That will keep the critters out!

I'm pretty sure that you can remove the whole radio (not just the faceplate) if you wish to.  All you would have to do is get a set of the stamped keys to remove the radio (head unit) from the mounting sleeve or cage that is secured into your helm with tabs you bend over.

The keys I have for my sony radio that I installed in my car and another in the truck look like these:

DSCN03801_zps31a449c1.jpg

They have a little indentation or hook on the end that releases the head unit from the sleeve.  You will need to remove the faceplate then the trim ring around the radio unit to gain access to the pockets where the stamped keys slide into.  Once you insert the keys you will hear it click (release from the lock) and you wil be able to unplug the wire harness in the back and slide the radio out the front.  I forgot bennington put a support strap on the back of the radio that will need removed as well.  

It seems like a whole lot of work to remove the radio from the boat when you don't remove the radio from your car every time you park it.  Besides isn't that covered under the warranty if something should go wrong with the radio?

Back