Replacement Mooring Cover

lakevue

Reaction score
I have a 2004 2050RL still in perfect shape except for the cover. Seams are starting to split..a few snaps missing and

it has sun faded. The cover now is the one that came with the boat. Does anyone know if Bennington sells replacement

tops made exactly for their styles so the fit is good and tight? I have looked at several websites claiming to have covers

for my Bennington style (2050RL) but wonder how their fit would be. Has anyone purchased a replacement cover online...and if so..from what website? My Bennington dealer in the area...who maintains and stores my pontoon for winter..has a cover shop that will make me a custom cover...but the $1295 cost is a bit steep. I would appreciate

your input.

ewolf@lakevuehome.com

Welcome to the party lakevue. You can try this place on Ebay, http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bennington-Original-Manufactured-Factory-Cover-20-Pontoon-/200831634341?pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&vxp=mtr&hash=item2ec27f8ba5

Someone else ordered from them but I don't think they have it yet. The cover is custom for your boat but you will recieve it without snaps. They will have to be installed by you or a dealer so they align with the snaps on your boat. The tool is about $110.00 for a good one. DO NOT use a cheap one if you do it yourself.

If you do the snaps yourself, go online and buy the 4 parts required to make one complete snap. They will come in boxes of 100 each and will be much cheaper that the boat dealers. Steve

Lakeview, I ordered from Hennepine Marine directly, not off the eBay site. They're in Illinois and deal directly with the manufacturer of Bennington's covers, or so they say. My cover will ship on Monday to Indiana. I'll let you know if I can recommend it as soon as I receive it. My savings was in the 400 - 500 range. Shipping is included and no taxes!

Noah Genda......I'm anxious to hear what you think about your cover when it arrives. So, it sounds like it is the same

exact one as supplied by Bennington? Can I assume it ships with snaps installed. It seems that the other online sources

will ship the snaps separately for you to install. Please let me know your thoughts after youi receive it.

You can't get a cover with the snaps installed because they won't match up with the male half of the snaps on your boat. You'll have to install them yourself or have a dealer do it.

Everyone, I received my new cover in less than two weeks! Interestingly, the box arrived from Elkhart, Indiana, home of Tumacs! I have not fully inspected the cover, but it looks identical. Of course, no snaps installed, but there's a bunch in bag that came with it. Though after watching a YouTube video on how to install them with a "Quick Fit Kit," it seems like even I could do it. But by the time I buy the kit, the tools, and my time, i might be better served letting someone with more experience do it. But I'm at the mercy of an installer fitting me in. I'll let you know the final outcome. But at first glance, it looks like I found a winner.

Good to hear Tom!

Quick update on my replacement mooring cover. Like I mentioned, ordered it from Hennepin Marine in Illinois. It took two weeks to receive it. Today my snap guy showed up at Lake Monroe - getting my boat out in windy conditions deserves its own thread - and let me know the cover isn't a perfect match. Sure enough, it has 2011 RCW on its tag. Fortunately, there's too much fabric. He can fit 95% of the snaps, mark the remaining 5%, take the cover with him, cut, restitch, and install the remaining snaps; and I can pick it up on Friday.

The cover did come with the vent caps - the only thing that has worked 100% correctly. All in all, I'm curious if maybe a custom cover would have been the best route, maybe even the cheapest. I haven't checked on pricing.

But my local Bennington dealer wanted 1440 and change plus tax, and S&H.

Another in-state dealer wanted around 1300 for the same product.

Hennepin, who allegedly went straight to the cover manufacturer, sold it to me for about $1000.

Caveat Emptor my friends.

Did you contact them and explain the situation. They "might" offer you a discount or maybe kick in a little for the rework.

The worst they can do is say "no".

Thanks for the heads up though, so if anyone else orders one, we know to check the tag before doing anything.

Semper Fi - you are a genius! Just called Hennepin Marine, spoke with the manager of customer service - he just happened to pick up the phone - and he volunteered to pick up the tab for the extra work. I'm sure he'll pass it on to the manufacturer, but I'm thrilled. I love great customer service, and he just made lemonade out of lemons. Thanks for the suggestion. If I am given some sort of explanation for the mix-up, I'll pass it along to the members.

Semper Fi - you are a genius! Just called Hennepin Marine, spoke with the manager of customer service - he just happened to pick up the phone - and he volunteered to pick up the tab for the extra work. I'm sure he'll pass it on to the manufacturer, but I'm thrilled. I love great customer service, and he just made lemonade out of lemons. Thanks for the suggestion. If I am given some sort of explanation for the mix-up, I'll pass it along to the members.
AWESOME !!!!! Like I said, worst they can do is say no.

In my line of business, there are mistakes, they happen. :(

The WORST thing a customer can do is come in and threaten me or TELL ME what I'm going to do. I get defensive (for my company) very quick, BUT, if they come in and "talk" to me, ask for my help, I will do EVERYTHING in my power to help them, even if it was their fault. :)

The insurance company want to know how much a " Replacement Mooring Cover" was , I called my dealer .

He told me $400.00 .

Then I remembered this post, with costs being well over $1000.

I think the dealer is a tad low .

Anyway I told the insurance co, $1500 , sound about right for a factory replacement with snaps installed ?( 22 SLX )

Thanks .

I would say thats a fair price ... what happened ???

And if the dealer honors that price, I'd buy one as a spare !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say thats a fair price ... what happened ???

And if the dealer honors that price, I'd buy one as a spare !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I don't think he could even come close to that ,if he could I'll buy them and resell them .

Nothing has happened ,Insurance co just want a breakdown for anything more than $500 to replace .

I did add a $400 rider for the lily pad for a $1.63 a year .

With no deductible , now I can leave it on the boat ,and not have to haul it all the time .

VERIFY YOUR HAZARD SPILL COVERAGE !!!!!

NO ONE COMES CLOSE TO BOAT US !!!!

I have over $854,000 in spill coverage .... with Allstate I think I had $800 or something ridiculous.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also purchased a One Million Dollar Umbrella policy .Good on everything I have insured with them.

Back