Replacing Base Instrument cluster

67wayz

Reaction score
On my 2021 23LSB I ordered it with the basic gauges and Garmin Striker 4. I would like a better display all in one of whats going on with my boat and hate the little Garmin.
I want to replace my factory bezel/gauges and upgrade to a Go7 Simrad or Garmin 743. Will the wiring I need be up in the console? Can I just ordered the other bezel option and the Simrad or Garmin and wire it up? I’m ok with needing to run wires back to my Yamaha 200SHO, just don’t know what I need and the local dealer isn’t much help.

Wondering what road blocks and addition things I may need. Any input is appreciated.

I’d think NMEA from motor to the new unit. Power, ground and transducer and your done. Dealer should be able to order bezel. I got one for my GO5 in 2017, after it came in and I wanted to add one with “factory” look.

You can contact Bennington with the link below . Be sure to include your Hull ID .

I've been interested in potentially doing this as well. Let me know your findings/cost!

You can contact Bennington with the link below . Be sure to include your Hull ID .

Don’t these request just go to your local dealer? Sorry, I was under the impression they did.

The parts and warranty link ,yes.
Unless they have changed it , the contact Bennington link went to Bennington

On my 2021 23LSB I ordered it with the basic gauges and Garmin Striker 4. I would like a better display all in one of whats going on with my boat and hate the little Garmin.
I want to replace my factory bezel/gauges and upgrade to a Go7 Simrad or Garmin 743. Will the wiring I need be up in the console? Can I just ordered the other bezel option and the Simrad or Garmin and wire it up? I’m ok with needing to run wires back to my Yamaha 200SHO, just don’t know what I need and the local dealer isn’t much help.

Wondering what road blocks and addition things I may need. Any input is appreciated.
keen to hear how you make out with this - the gauges in my 2014 kept fogging up and water condensing on the glass - the gauges were replaced under warranty, but the new ones still fog up badly - i'm thinking that "factory" gauges just aren't that good and aftermarket is the best next step

I have 6y8 Yamaha gauges for my F250, but added an N2K network to feed engine data into my Garmin.

Any decent MFD like a Simrad Go9 should be able to show engine data. Simrad apparently also has a digital instrument screen that ONLY shows engine data so you don't need to spend a lot more to get the depth/fish finding and charting capability.

It can all be done, lots of configurations to choose from. The PITA factor will come in when you need to either have a vendor perform the work or you do it yourself. If you're in a big boating area you may get lucky and have lots of options. In my neck of the woods it's limited (unless I wanted to get someone out of Annapolis/Baltimore) and the dealer techs are neither experts nor interested in the work. I had to figure it out all myself using online resources and some good old trial and error.

1805BD40-43BA-46DD-B8CD-3EB7F3E29170.jpeg

I have the Go series from simrad and love the options for the engine data, gps maps and sonar. The problem is that like everything else in this world, they are on backorder. I found that my boat was wired with acc switches that were not used and just blank wiring harnesses for possible options I didn't get. If you're somewhat handy, I think you can manage to do a conversion on your own.
I assume there is no N2K network on the boat so a starter kit would be needed to get the data going. You would also need a conversion for the fuel level to display on the MFD if it's sent through the NMEA network. I don't think that comes from the engine but rather the tank sensor. There may be a way to just make the conversion at the end of the cable that connected to your old fuel gauge.

I have the Go series from simrad and love the options for the engine data, gps maps and sonar. The problem is that like everything else in this world, they are on backorder. I found that my boat was wired with acc switches that were not used and just blank wiring harnesses for possible options I didn't get. If you're somewhat handy, I think you can manage to do a conversion on your own.
I assume there is no N2K network on the boat so a starter kit would be needed to get the data going. You would also need a conversion for the fuel level to display on the MFD if it's sent through the NMEA network. I don't think that comes from the engine but rather the tank sensor. There may be a way to just make the conversion at the end of the cable that connected to your old fuel gauge.

Good write up Minnesota - a couple of "if's" to throw out there.

If OP has a Yamaha hub installed and gets an MFD that has a J1939 port, he may be able to direct connect without an N2K. Unfortunately in the Garmin world only the more expensive GPSMAPs have that port, not sure about Simrad or others.

On the fuel side the other way to deal with it is using the engine data to calculate tank level. If OP can is willing to deal with the extra step, he can set up the fuel tank size in the MFD and after each fill up, reset the tank value to "full". Then using fuel burn rates from the engine the MFD will calculate how much remaining fuel left. This is a much more accurate way to determine fuel level (as in within 1/4 gallon is my experience) than the float sensor, although I use both just to be safe.

This is where in my earlier post I mention it getting a little complicated. The dealer may have a senior tech that understands all this, or some 20-year old kid who worked at Jiffy Lube they just hired to handle the pile of work orders.

Back