Reserve tank??

Yourtxlender

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm a new pontoon owner. Just purchased a 2013 RCW with the yamaha 200 and am having a blast with it. I'm hoping someone as experienced a problem I'm having and can give me some advice. I filled up my boat for the first time but the gas gauge only read three quarters of a tank. I visually inspected the tank and it was totally full so I thought my gauge was incorrect. It has a 25 gallon tank and I know now that I burned through 13 gallons before it ran out of gas. I inspected the tank once again and it looked like it still had half of a tank left. I took out the sending unit and hose cap and found that it was completely bone dry on the top half of the tank but the lower half still contained gasoline. I'm wondering is there some reserve tank switch that I can't find or is it some type of baffle within the tank that the pick up hose isn't reaching? I called the dealership and they had no idea. I'm going to take it into them in a month after boating season but was hoping to fix this problem now. Having only 13 gallons of gas to burn before you're on E isn't much fun. Any advice for a newbie would be much appreciated.

I overfilled mine the first time, so full that gas entered the vent hose . I found that the vent hose had a slight dip in it which filled with gas when I overfilled to the top of the neck. I was cruising along for 20-25 minutes when all of a sudden the motor died. I can see the tank under my rear lounger and it was half full. I checked the fuel bulb and sure enough it was collapsed. That means no vent, or a vent not open. I unscrewed the cap and you could hear air rushing in. The motor then started up fine, all I needed to do was make sure the vent hose runs uphill all the way to the fill cap, and not overfill it. Maybe you have the same problem I had, and this might possibly be the solution.

slightly different, but maybe you know.  I have a 2010 with a Promens 4018 fuel tank that holds 24 gal per the labelling on the tank.  After draining the tank, I put in 5 gallons from a can and ran it for two minutes then drained the oil (water ran through it to keep it cool),  I then filled it up at the gas station with 23 gallons; that made a total of 28 gallons in a 24 gallon tank - - - is that possible or is the gas station ripping me off?

Last edited by a moderator:
Warranty service issue. Something isn't set up properly. That's the bad news. You don't own the problem. That's the good news. Just my $.02.

slightly different, but maybe you know.  I have a 2010 with a Promens 4018 fuel tank that holds 24 gal per the labelling on the tank.  After draining the tank, I put in 5 gallons from a can and ran it for two minutes then drained the oil (water ran through it to keep it cool),  I then filled it up at the gas station with 23 gallons; that made a total of 28 gallons in a 24 gallon tank - - - is that possible or is the gas station ripping me off?
If i understand this correctly, your tank is rated for 24 gal. capacity, but the tank is actually larger than that and is only supposed to be filled to 75%, which is where the vent should be shutting the pump off.

My 24SSLX has an even smaller 21 gallon fuel tank, but I've not been able to get more than 18 gallons in it.  I'm on a 16 mile lake, so long distances are not that big of a deal for me.  I take 3 five gallon jerry cans when going longer distances on river trips.

I would suggest you just let the dealer handle it.

It almost makes you long for the "good old days" when tanks were vented to the outside and you could run out of gasoline because there was no more left in it.

Back