Rodents

guardrail22

Reaction score
Finally got the boat out last weekend to take for a spring cleaning and pressure wash.

Pulling things out of storage to dry them out and found another field mouse nest - no mouse this time - this time under on of the seat. Made from a chew up Lowes bag, some vinyl bits front the stapled edge of the seat upholstery, and grass.

Has anyone found a good repellent for keeping them out?

Mothballs.

Dryer sheets. I used a full box and layered every inch of the floor of the boat and inside the storage areas. Then I threw a couple bait traps under the boat to see if they were around. Dryer sheets keep out the spiders too. Bait traps were replaced monthly as they have a ton of Feild mice. Never once did one get on my boat nor did I have any spiders.

I use mothballs and dryer sheets 

Mothballs.
But how do you get their little legs apart to collect them?

Bada Boom! I'll be here all week! Be sure to tip your waitstaff!

I've used mothballs in a few cups and dryer sheets thrown all around. The pontoon stays outside in the yard. Only problem I've had were when they got into my zipped up Bimini cover (under the shrink wrap) and chewed two 3" holes into it last year (a canvas shop repaired them for me). Somehow I forgot I had planned to take it off this year but I did push some mothballs into the ends, so I'm hoping my previous success continues.

I use mothballs and dryer sheets too, but had not thought of stuffing the bimini boot.  Thanks for the tip.

I stuffed the Bimini boot and the motor cover with them as well.

Mothballs and dryer sheets for me too -- cheap and easy insurance.  No problems at all (but only 2 years of experience to speak of).

Oh gosh, didn't think of the Bimini either!  Do you use the dryer sheets, mothballs or both for the Bimini?

Only used mothballs in Bimini boot but probably should have used both.

Last edited by a moderator:
I dislike the smell of mothballs so i don't use them and go heavy on the dryer sheets

Thanks!  Appreciate the help & replies!   Will have to make sure to do that next time we visit boat!

Here's hoping I dont have a mouse problem

I do wish my problem was getting the boat out this early 

Even with the mild weather it will be May 

Best news is Lake is at Full Capacity

12779167_1570898819867430_2050115088997116659_o.jpg

All season my boat smelled just like it came out of the dryer.

I second the dryer sheets. But now I worry about the Bimini top. Didn't think about that. I was in my boat the other day, under it's cover, no critters and smelled fresh.

I wouldn't worry too much, Unless they are repelling from the rafters. They really dislike the smell of the dryer sheets, so they shouldn't be climbing on your boat at all.

My boat is stored outside in my back yard, so no repelling from the rafters. Maybe chipmunks from the trees though, lol. Everything looked in order when I was there, so you are right, Rockie, I probably don't have anything to worry about.

My boat is stored outside in my back yard, so no repelling from the rafters. Maybe chipmunks from the trees though, lol. Everything looked in order when I was there, so you are right, Rockie, I probably don't have anything to worry about.
Hopefully no issues for you. Be sure to check though when you open it up. Ours is outside also and everything looked fine until I opened it. Cover was ok and the chewed holes were inside where the top met the curves on both ends. I have used moth balls and dryer sheets in all the boats I've had and that was the first time any problem. I had not put any into the boot until this year after it was damaged last year. Pictures of damage in my gallery if interested.

Back