Rules to playing music loud

lakeliving

Reaction score
Is there a rule book somewhere on music e[SIZE=11pt]tiquette when you have a nice system. I am hoping to find something I can provide one of my neighbors down the street. He needs to know that Shania Twain's "whose bed have your boots been under" is not a cool song that needs to be broadcasted across the lake at 1 million decibels. Curious on others thoughts experiences with this. I wouldn't mind if it was better music but come on man!! [/SIZE]

Well Andy, if you have enough watts to overpower him that might get your message across...... :p

Or i suppose you could try to talk to him about it, tactfully, of course.

I almost started this tread today.  Sat morning we are launching the boat.  There are 6 boats in line and probably  2 dozen people at the ramp.  Wake board boat launches and has the speakers at holly crap loud while floating at the ramp waiting on people.  I respect the expertise it would take for Derrick to build his hundred horse power sound system.  I just don't want to hear it unless I ask to.   

Well Andy, if you have enough watts to overpower him that might get your message across...... :p

Or i suppose you could try to talk to him about it, tactfully, of course.
He is a retired officer of the law. Not very friendly and kind of an odd individual. When we first moved to the lake he wanted to know my last name....probably had a friend on the force run me through the system for a check. What really pisses me off is when the police are on the lake they just tie up to his dock and bs for an hour or so instead of doing their jobs. The neighbors stated they use to have a beer at the dock too. Nice. Maybe I'll get some photos and time stamp them one day. So long story short, not very approachable. Back in my days of loud music I never played it loud in public or around kids. Not my style.

Same thing happened to us at our lake's sandbar/volleyball area.............we were anchored about 100 yards from them. You know sound travels very well over water............we had our stereo on at a very respectable personal level and we were being overpowered by a wakeboard boat 100 yards away! No big deal. We respect his right to play his stereo. We had lunch and went to another part of the lake..............

It is those darn tower guys....They must be compensating for something. :D

He is a retired officer of the law. Not very friendly and kind of an odd individual. When we first moved to the lake he wanted to know my last name....probably had a friend on the force run me through the system for a check. What really pisses me off is when the police are on the lake they just tie up to his dock and bs for an hour or so instead of doing their jobs. The neighbors stated they use to have a beer at the dock too. Nice. Maybe I'll get some photos and time stamp them one day. So long story short, not very approachable. Back in my days of loud music I never played it loud in public or around kids. Not my style.
Damn retired cops! Ha!

This thread could get me really spun up, being the cranky old man I am at times, but one thing I can guarantee is that talking reasonably to them won't matter one bit. Been there, done that, many times. Talked to the parents too. Doesn't matter. Guess where they learned to be inconsiderate? Our lake is too small to just move somewhere else and most of the time we're sitting on our porch or dock when it's blasting away.

We actually do have a noise ordinance and the water cops (BTW they're GREAT on my lake) used to carry sound level meters. Back then it was for dealing with jet boats with open unmuffled over the transom exhausts. Times have changed such that we don't see that very often, but now we constantly have profane and degrading rap/crap blasting from the towers all the way across the lake. We were eating dinner on the screened porch with our granddaughters recently and I wanted to cover their little ears since they didn't need to hear who was doing what to who. Ugh...  One thought is to counter that with 2 or 3kw of "It's a Small World" right back at ya.

I don't mind if it if it's good music...  There was someone last month playing jock jams from 1998.  I thought it was a joke, it's like they had to go out of their way to find music this terrible...  and they had it so loud that you could hear their speakers distorting.  Embarrasing....

There is a wake board boat that can sound like your front stage at a concert but they rarely turn it up.  and it seems like you can only really hear them when their speakers are facing you so I don't mind at all.  Awesome boat and riders so I respect it.

I have a new MBQuart 6 channel AMP with a 10" THX certified sub that blows away the car stereo systems, but I rarely turn it up.

Stating the obvious, but have you stopped over to discuss with him about it? If you have and he still is doing it, I would look into other options. I don't believe there are any state ordinances for music, but your township/city might.

Last edited by a moderator:
He is a retired cop.... not not friendly. I'm thinking about installing a train horn under the helm and laying on that late at night near his dock!

Hahahahahaa, that made me laugh. Sounds (no pun intended) like you have a sticky situation.....I guess fight music with music? Maybe play radio Disney at him?

Last edited by a moderator:
I almost started this tread today.  Sat morning we are launching the boat.  There are 6 boats in line and probably  2 dozen people at the ramp.  Wake board boat launches and has the speakers at holly crap loud while floating at the ramp waiting on people.  I respect the expertise it would take for Derrick to build his hundred horse power sound system.  I just don't want to hear it unless I ask to.   
I have said it before and I'll say it again, I use common sense. It's amazing how far in life something as simple as that can take you. I rarely sit in one spot with the music cranked up. If I am, I'm merely showing it off to someone or tweaking something. I like to be able to talk to my guests and since I am almost completely deaf in one ear (not stereo related smarta**es!) so I have a tougher time than most when there is a breeze or lots of white noise. Do I crank it up when I'm ripping around or pulling a tube or wakeboarder, also yes. But once again, common sense delegates what type of music I play loud. I wouldn't crank up Ice T's Cop Killer as it isn't appropriate, plus it's not my style of music, plus my brother in law whom I am probably pulling on the tube might not see the humour! Haha 

It is those darn tower guys....They must be compensating for something. :D
Yup, my wallet was too fat so it was giving me back problems when I would sit down, so I spent everything on it!! Haha actually it's probably just so we can be the coolest looking guys on the lake, so maybe some compensation!! :D  

He is a retired cop.... not not friendly. I'm thinking about installing a train horn under the helm and laying on that late at night near his dock!
I like your style! It'd be especially nice if you got a big loud stereo and played the Ice T song I mentioned earlier, then when he comes out yelling say, "what's the matter? You don't appreciate my taste in music? Well the feeling is mutual, turn your crap down too!"

BODY COUNT RULES!!!!!!! Lol

Good luck getting folks to turn the music down. I too use common sense.

Sometimes going to war is the right thing to do Andy, just make sure this is worth the fight

And to think that I used to complain about the Fountain 37' boat up the slough coming by with his 502 engines at full throttle--with wide open exhaust.

And those bass fishermen at 5:00 a.m. with their 300XS Racing Merc's screaming at 7500 rpm's--waking us up on Saturday mornings.

They're nothing in noise compared to someone with 1000 watt sound system and a subwoofer that raises the barometric pressure.  We can feel them coming 4 minutes before we can hear them.  That's something to complain about when we're wall to wall residences on the lake.

Exhaust noise is another issue. We have a big baja on a small lake and they are obnoxious. With that said, I still prefer living on an all sports body of water.

Agreed, I enjoy the all sports...but there are sometimes I have to shake my head. There are a couple of knuckleheads with big Baja boats that run on our lake. RACING each other,

And to think that I used to complain about the Fountain 37' boat up the slough coming by with his 502 engines at full throttle--with wide open exhaust.

And those bass fishermen at 5:00 a.m. with their 300XS Racing Merc's screaming at 7500 rpm's--waking us up on Saturday mornings.

They're nothing in noise compared to someone with 1000 watt sound system and a subwoofer that raises the barometric pressure.  We can feel them coming 4 minutes before we can hear them.  That's something to complain about when we're wall to wall residences on the lake.
Only 1000 watts? Mines 3100 watts! Haha once again, I use common sense and our lake is a national park and there isn't anything really right on the lake, they all have some trees as a buffer. Not that it matters because I am respectful. 

Back