Running new Amplifier Cable from battery

basshawk84

Reaction score
I am installing a new stereo system in the toon.  I have to run #2 gauge wire from the battery to a distribution block under the console.  I'm just wondering if anyone has any tricks on how to run the wire without having to remover either a side panel above the toon or the underskin below the deck.  It looks like they used stainless steel rivets so I think those would be a pain to remover.  All suggestions welcome!  Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't run power cables but I did run some speaker wire and a remote wire without too much difficulty.  My boat had a boot near the rear batteries so I just ran the wires down and across the top of the undershield to the starboard side.  Grabbed the wire and run it up under the railing to the boot in the helm.

I used a fish tape to get the wires out to the side then zip tied to the existing harness up into the helm. It's doable without removing anything.

Be sure to wrap and tape the wires inside some split loom for protection, and it's never a bad idea to attach an extra rope / wire (NOT inside the power / ground loom) in case you ever need to run something else back there. 

You could always try the two fish tape method, one down the boot by the batteries, one down the boot under the helm. Direct them both out to the side of the boat and tape together, just saves trying to get the wires up into the helm as it can be kind of tough directing it up into the boot. I would also try to attach the wires to any other harnesses to keep them from moving around on top the under skinning.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, thanks guys.  The boat stays on a lift, so I'll have to get it on the trailer next week and give it a shot!

OK, thanks guys.  The boat stays on a lift, so I'll have to get it on the trailer next week and give it a shot!

I did ours while it was on the lift.

I'll lift it up high and take a look today

Yep, I bought a cheap set of those at Harbor Freight.  They certainly come in handy and I think they are easier to use than the full length type on a roll.  Glad it worked out.

Update: I was able to get it done while on the lift and not removing anything. Those fiberglass fish tape rods came in handy!
Any chance you can take a few pictures? I'm having trouble visualizing it - and the boat isn't as close to home as I'd like.

Any chance you can take a few pictures? I'm having trouble visualizing it - and the boat isn't as close to home as I'd like.
Not sure what the pics would do for you since everything is under the floor. I used the graphite sticks to run it from the battery compartment out the back of the boat. Then I retaped it to the sticks and ran it about halfway up the left side of the boat where I used a skinny grabber device to grab it and pull it out the side between the floor and the side skirt. The opening is about an inch or so. Then I ran it straight across to the driver side to get it to the console where there was already a hole for wires they the deck. Hope this helps.

Not sure what the pics would do for you since everything is under the floor. I used the graphite sticks to run it from the battery compartment out the back of the boat. Then I retaped it to the sticks and ran it about halfway up the left side of the boat where I used a skinny grabber device to grab it and pull it out the side between the floor and the side skirt. The opening is about an inch or so. Then I ran it straight across to the driver side to get it to the console where there was already a hole for wires they the deck. Hope this helps.
This DOES help! I haven't even gone as far as to look under the boat yet, so I was unaware that there's openings that we can use for such a purpose. I'll have a look based on this description this weekend. Thanks for the reply!

Does your Benny have this cover that sits over the gap that'd be between the plywood and the tubes? This cover is blocking all direct access to anything allowing me to run wires. There's like 20 bolts that I'll need to remove, but I'm not sure if it's also welded anywhere. I sure hope not. Did you remove these (if you have them) to run your wires? Seems like every post and video make really light work & mention of "just run the wires over here, or over there.... blah blah". I can't fathom getting wires run across the bottom blind. It's got a skin underneath, too, so I'm blocked out in just about every attack angle. If these covers are removable, I should be able to use sticks or electricians snake to guide the wires over.

Attachments

• IMG-7945.jpg
    IMG-7945.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG-7944.jpg
    IMG-7944.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 14
Does your Benny have this cover that sits over the gap that'd be between the plywood and the tubes? This cover is blocking all direct access to anything allowing me to run wires. There's like 20 bolts that I'll need to remove, but I'm not sure if it's also welded anywhere. I sure hope not. Did you remove these (if you have them) to run your wires? Seems like every post and video make really light work & mention of "just run the wires over here, or over there.... blah blah". I can't fathom getting wires run across the bottom blind. It's got a skin underneath, too, so I'm blocked out in just about every attack angle. If these covers are removable, I should be able to use sticks or electricians snake to guide the wires over.
Nope, my side panels don't go all the way up. They stop about an inch or so below the deck. Definitely looks like you'll have to take it off. I doubt it's bolted and welded.

Mines bolted but it is not welded.

No need to remove the panels. Get a cheap set of glow rods, and you can run it straight across through that 1" gap between the the side panels and deck. I just did this. Once it's across, I ran it basically behind the rub rail.

No need to remove the panels. Get a cheap set of glow rods, and you can run it straight across through that 1" gap between the the side panels and deck. I just did this. Once it's across, I ran it basically behind the rub rail.
Do you have 2 or 3 floaties? I tried using an electricians snake, and kept hitting rails & posts on my way over. I have a tritoon, 2022 21SXSB.

Do you have 2 or 3 floaties? I tried using an electricians snake, and kept hitting rails & posts on my way over. I have a tritoon, 2022 21SXSB.

I have a tritoon, same boat. The snake will get snagged because it's curved. I suggest trying the glow rods. or 2 or 3 driveway markers taped together?

I tried once more without removing the panels, and just couldn't get the snake or sticks through properly. I did end up removing one panel and that was a major pain itself! Seemed like 400 bolts were holding that thing on. HAHA. In reality, maybe 15, but getting the box wrench in the gap to hold the other side still while I untorqued the bolts... sheesh! It took as much time removing that one panel as I spent doing all the wiring and drilling - then had to put it back on! Wowzers.

Back