S&W Florida vacation must see things from FL Natives?

Sounds like a wonderful trip !! I have stayed at that Marriott at the causeway in Sanibel, very nice. Just got back Monday from 6 days at WDW with some of the kids and grandkids. Polynesian on the monorail is the way to go. Sounds like we were in the "Magic Kingdom" about the same time. Just read your original post. I see you flew in and didn't do the WDW thing. Well, maybe we were in the security line at the airport at the same time. :) Gerry
We flew in and out of The Sanford airport via Allegiant, 2 round trip tickets from Fargo ND 600 bucks, but we live 230 miles west of Fargo so had a drive home yet. Our flight left the ground at 7:20 am.

I am surprised at how early it gets dark down there, I"m used to having light until 10:30 PM during the summer here in ND.

Sun seemed to come up about the same time but dark 2 hours earlier.

What is WDW?

Headed out to hit the water so will get some pics loaded up later.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like a great trip ... you did it up right! Glad you liked Blue Heaven ... such a fun, eclectic and delicious place!

Sounds like a great trip ... you did it up right! Glad you liked Blue Heaven ... such a fun, eclectic and delicious place!
We know of several people that are going down to Key West this fall / winter and all are asking where the best spots are and my wife is telling them all about the Blue Moon.

I was surprised that there are no real beaches in the keys and what sand there is they trucked in from the mainland.

Once to the Keys was enough for us, too developed and over populated and commercial for us and lack of beaches. Didn't realize is was all corral rock mainly.

It was amazing to see all the pics of the keys early on and to see them with almost no vegetation was amazing compared to how they are now.

WDW= Walt Disney World. We go to Key West for a couple days at a time but it is touristy. There are a lot of hidden out of the way places there though and it can be a lot of fun. Another out of the way place for a great breakfast is Pepes, down by the piers. The first couple times I went there I noticed the ramshackle looking old front and thought it was abandoned. A good friend of mine who has his Masters (boating) liscense took me there. It is one of the best breakfast places in Key West in my opinion. I agree Doug, don't you just love the atmosphere at "Blue Heaven" ? Gerry

Florida Trip 2.0....................Well the Mrs. and myself had such a good time in Fl. in July we decided to go back again before the end of the year. I have vacation and comp time days that need to be used and Allegiant started offering direct flights out of Bismarck to Sanford a couple months ago, didn't take us long to decide on another trip.

More questions for you folks down that way.

I want to do an offshore full day fishing charter but want to hire a local captain and just want it to be me and the Mrs. don't want to do a group charter thing.

Any recommendations or referrals to anyone you would suggest.  We are going back down to the sw. coast and the Keys again "decided to give the Keys another try" and would possibly like to do a charter from the keys but if anyone knows of one anywhere else from the Ft. Meyers / Sanibelle area that would be good too.

BTW, I would post pics but of the dozen or so forums I visit this is the only one that limits me on photo size and will not let me upload from my computer and the Mrs. and I don't want our pics out on other pic hosting sites even though they "Claim" its private.

Most sites resize them during upload but not this site, not sure why?

I have tried to resize in pic programs on the computer but that is a PITA and too time consuming for me.

Did you try to load to your "gallery"?

I know it limits them in the thread, but the gallery allows larger ones. (20mb per upload) so you have to load one at a time, but shouldn't take long.

Definitely load them to the gallery, individual limit is 20MB, which none of your pictures will be, and it's unlimited total upload size, then just post them with "my media" button, or the other way. I load all my pics on here full size and never have an issue. 

Wild and Free......We are in Naples just south of Ft. Myers as I write this.........Staying at the Waldorf Astoria and for deep sea charters the concierge suggested going out of the Naples Harbor in the downtown area right off 3rd Ave/41..........behind where the Bonefish Grill restaurant is........Gorgeous gorgeous but expensive area! I could get used to this weather in October........been in the upper 80s here all week........60s back home..........

Hey Daril. go on a little further south To Marco Island.  Try the Old Marco Lodge Crab House in Goodland. Great seafood.  :)   Gerry

Gerry,  I am heading to Marco Island the last week of December.  I will check out the Old Marco Lodge Crab House.  We are renting a boat from Calusa marine just down the road from the resturant. 

Thanks for the info Gerry! Back in Virginia and 45 degree weather already. Next time we'll check out Marco Island.........

Thanks BigK but I guess my last question was missed by the Fl. locals.

Still looking for any recommendations for a day trip fishing charter in SW Fl. or the keys at a reasonable price, I have looked and almost had heart failure at full day deep sea fishing charter prices...................... :wacko:

Back