Salt water

Donn Patchen

Reaction score
We use our boat in fresh water in TN. For the winter we moved it to Florida and going to venture out in salt water. Any precautions or advice to make sure we're taking care of the boat? Appreciate any lessons learned.

If you are trailering rinse the entire underside of the boat after use. Also flush your engine by using muffs attached to your intake on the lower unit. Have fun!!!

I think you need to switch out your anodes.

Dumb question but did you plan for this and add the salt water package when purchasing? When i lived in Michigan we ordered ours with the saltwater package just in case. Few years later and we live in Florida on the coast so it worked out.

Dumb question but did you plan for this and add the salt water package when purchasing? When i lived in Michigan we ordered ours with the saltwater package just in case. Few years later and we live in Florida on the coast so it worked out.
That's a great question. I just bought the boat used from a person in Illinois. Even though it's 5 years old, barely used and stored indoors. Engine had less than 100 hours. No Salt Water package and not sure what that would include?

That's a great question. I just bought the boat used from a person in Illinois. Even though it's 5 years old, barely used and stored indoors. Engine had less than 100 hours. No Salt Water package and not sure what that would include?

Usually, the SW package will come with sealed lifting strakes and sacrificial anodes.

Adding the anodes are exponentially more vital than the sealed lifting strakes, if your boat did not come equipped with the SW package.

You're also going to want to move to a stainless steel or saltwater specific prop, if not already present.

Without the saltwater package, you need to actually do more prep for your boat. I personally would not put a pontoon in saltwater without the saltwater package for a variety of reasons. You have good advice above, but since your boat doesn’t have the saltwater package, there is going to be more to putting that advice into practice than it probably seems on face value.

Saltwater is an entirely different beast altogether.

I felt bad the first time I dipped mine in. Now it’s all it knows am I’m used to it

From what I have seen the saltwater package on a pontoon isn’t much different. Rinse it really good and have fun with it. Find a Bennington dealer on the coast and talk to them about the extra anodes

now your steel trailer will age exponentially. I would rinse it extra or have your boat picked and set in the water if there isn’t a fresh or brackish ramp with in reason.

Good advice above - salt water can be deadly to a boat when not handled properly. Flushing the boat and trailer completely when you take it out of the water is a must. Here's a great product I've used for over 15 years. The inside of my Yamahas on my Center Console were perfect after 1400 hours, using this product. http://www.saltawayproducts.com/. The anode comment is also critical. Change your anodes to aluminum, including the one under the front of the motor bracket. I'd also suggest adding an anode to each side of your trailer - you would be amazed how much that will reduce your corrosion. Most freshwater boats have magnesium or zinc anodes. Magnesium will last 2-3 days if the boat is left in the water. Not good. Always use stainless steel fasteners as well, although with these aluminum pontoons, you will need to use "never seize" or you will have galvanic corrosion between the fastener and the attachment point. Enjoy the salt water, just don't forget to clean up after!

Back