Sea Gull Deterants

Reaction score
GREETINGS ALL!

NEW 23 SXP FAST BACK OWNER - LOVE THE BOAT - I ADDED 2 8 FOOT "BIRD SPIDERS" TO TRY TO ENCOURAGE THE SEA GULLS TO "MOVE ON DOWN THE LAKE" - MY PROBLEM - I CANNOT KEEP THEIR 6 POUND SANDBAGS BALANCED ON TOP, IN THE CENTER OF THE COVER - WHAT SOLUTIONS DO YOU USE FOR THIS PROBLEM?!! YOUR COMMENTS WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED !

Oh sorry, we have them mounted to Bimini. I misread your question. Try a string line tied from front vent to Bimini or a line strung between the Bimini side poles, with some metal bird tape tied to it or a couple big yellow bird deterrent balloons. They don’t like the movement or shiny tape.

https://www.westmarine.com/bird-repellent

I hung silver foil pie plates from the bimini top. They moved around in the breeze/wind and scared the birds away.....

I hung silver foil pie plates from the bimini top. They moved around in the breeze/wind and scared the birds away.....

Yeah, old cd’s work too. Ashame AOL still isn’t mailing them, you could start a business selling cd bird deterrents and never spend money on cd’s... :D

I grabbed some parachute chord and reflective bird tape. I put clips on ends and tied strips about every foot on the chord. I run 2 chords from the hooks on front of boat to bimini and 2 from back to bimini. This has worked well for us and total cost about $10.

Had a couple of those owls on our dock. No bird problems except the occasional crane that would sit looking for fish.

I have also experienced the problem of large birds using my retracted bimini top for a perch and crapping all over my boat cover. I came up with a solution that took a little effort, but it works like a charm and it looks pretty good. I made a bird spike strip for the top of my bimini top using the following items that I purchased on Amazon: (1) Strapworks heavyweight polypropylene webbing, 2in x 10yd. (2) Remiawy small stainless steel spikes (comes in a pack of 10). (3) Velcro heavy duty fasteners, 4in x 2in. (4) E6000 adhesive, 3 tubes. The total cost was about $90.

I used the E6000 adhesive to glue 7 of the stainless steel spike strips to the polypropylene webbing. Each spike strip is 15" long, so the 7 strips is 7.5ft. I cut the stainless steel spikes to 1.5in long (4in is too long in my opinion). Cutting them with wire cutters also made them sharper. I also tried plastic spikes (prickle strips), but I liked the stainless steel spikes a lot better. I then made 4 polypropylene webbing cross straps and glued the Velcro fasteners to the ends of the straps. I then glued the cross straps to the main strap. Finally, I painted it with a navy blue spray paint so it would blend in with my bimini top cover. Pictures are attached. Happy Tooning!

Attachments

• IMG_5024.JPG
    IMG_5024.JPG
    198.6 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_5071.JPG
    IMG_5071.JPG
    246.1 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_5073.JPG
    IMG_5073.JPG
    158 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_5097.JPG
    IMG_5097.JPG
    129.5 KB · Views: 63
That's some serious work to get rid of those birds! Nice job!

I hate gulls. They are little more than flying rats, if you ask me. A 12 guage would be fun when they follow behind the boat!

Nice job, looks good.
I’m going on year 4 with the plastic spikes and luckily they have worked well. Many boats in our marina use nothing and or let their biminis open. They are just covered in gull crap, and it runs all over the top. It’s amazing how these birds have migrated to our area and are now a nuisance.

Last edited:
Wow! That‘s intense. Good work on it all. I switched to a series of larger Dori-poles this year, and I have not had one bird on the boat or bird dropping on the boat since doing it. Poles are pricey, but simple If people have a dock or lift to mount them too.

43E07D7A-1A86-4764-BB13-E7362702251D.jpeg

I won’t miss having to clean major bird poop off of our boat cover on a weekly basis! Happy tooning!

Attachments

• 7B893F80-E196-4CA7-9042-9DAC68363AD0.jpeg
    7B893F80-E196-4CA7-9042-9DAC68363AD0.jpeg
    176.8 KB · Views: 24
Back