Seagrass flooring very hot or slippery when wet??

Kahlua0517

Reaction score
I'm about to purchase a new Benny and have concerns about the seagrass flooring getting very hot or slippery when wet.  Has anyone had that experience?  Many thanks!

We were at the Bennington in water event on a very warm and sunny day.  The seagrass was a little warmer than a boat with beige carpet.  Not burn your feet hotter but a slight difference.  Having said that there have been times we have had to pour water on the carpet because it was uncomfortably warm.  Don't know about slippery.

It is very good looking. 

We have it on our boat and yes it gets hot and it is not slippery when it gets wet. If you're going to get it I would suggest a double Bimini

We have full vinyl floor (not the seagrass), which we love, but put down some carpet strips because it gets pretty hot (which is comfy on bare feet, but removable-a benefit).

Tip: Our dealer said to get a light bottom to whatever carpeting you may put down so not to bleed colors.

Thanks, Copperline.... if you had to do it all over again, would you have gotten carpet instead?

We have beige vinyl with snap out carpet and would'nt want to be without the carpet, the vinyl gets hotter than one can handle in the areas that the carpet doesn't cover but love the ability to remove the carpet for cleaning.

We have seagrass and it can get warm/ hot. We wear flip flops when needed. It don't get slippery when it 'a wet. I have no mold problem with seagrass and it is very easy to clean with a damp mop. We like it a lot more than carpet. We the kid come in out of the water and they are dripping water everywhere, it's no big deal like it is with carpet. Some carpet get dry warm too. I think the warm/ hot is a good trade off for flooring that is easy to clean and maintain. If someone spills something it no big deal. We're glad we got it.

Get the Seagrass, you will love it! We did only the aft section, and we now wish we had of done the entire boat$$$$, (Of course for me instead of the 250 SHO it would have been the 300) Well maybe next time.

Just Saying

Seagrass vs vinyl vs carpet.

My choice would be Seagrass.

Won't show dirt like carpet or vinyl.

Benefits of vinyl with moisture.

Carpet feels nice but it's a pain to keep clean and dry. I know it's a boat, but I still like it to look nice.

I think you will be happy with Seagrass.

They all get hot to an extent.

We've had carpet on previous boats and now have Seagrass on the whole boat. We'd never go back. It's comfy, easy to clean, and it even holds up to our Lab's big feet so far, which I wasn't so sure about.

Seagrass is quite attractive! Either way I'd definitely go with vinyl or Seagrass. The first day we had our boat I swept up all kinds of crumbs and dirt. Thought to myself ' WOW, that'd be in the carpet if we had it"! Snap in carpet might be nice as it'd be from Bennington, but we didn't get it as we were keeping costs down however we could (that was hard! haha). The carpet runners we laid down are leftover pieces of our Karastan Smartstrand (sooo soft) and it matches the interior upholstery quite well. We know it'll be easy to shake out & clean too. Just an alternative.

We have seagrass throughout and it is very warm or should I say HOT when directly in the sun. However, does cool quickly once boat is moving. We have to wear shoes if the boat is not moving. We do like the seagrass very easy to maintain but it is very hot!!

Sounds like it's a matter of what you think is hot...

We have vinyl in the aft and carpet everywhere else.  No on has complained of it being hot...

We have full seagrass. Love it.

We'll probably get sea grass on the next one. Looks nice. Glad to hear it can handle a lab Tom.

Good to hear positive reports on the seagrass. I ordered full seagrass after some research. ( Sure wish my boat would arrive.) I do not like carpet or snap in carpet on a boat. My white fiberglass deck was always cooler and easy to clean. Some of my buddy's had the snap in carpet. It was always too hot and tough to keep clean. As far as hot goes, we hit temps of 126. I never liked having the snaps on the deck when the carpet was removed. Lastly, when we would drop the hammer, all the sand or dirt or food crumbs would sandblast everyone.

Cheers, Steve

Wow ssc, I clicked your website in your signature www.sscphoto.zenfolio.com .  We have another fantastic photographer!  The pictures some of you guys have posted amaze me.  When I look through the lens I usually think "Oh yeah, this is a great shot" but once I see the picture I am disappointed.  Because of my lack of talent I never bother taking the camera but it is supposed to be a beautiful weekend so maybe I will give it another try

We'll probably get sea grass on the next one. Looks nice. Glad to hear it can handle a lab Tom.
Andy ,have you been infected again ? :D

Took delivery of a new Q with Seagrass on the aft portion and snap out carpet (Palm) on the rest.  We came from a Cruiser with white fiberglass swim platform to Seagrass.  It is much hotter in the sun.  We lay a towel between the lounges to protect our feet.

Back