Seat Cover, Delete Mooring Cover

Calypso

Reaction score
2017 20SSRX

The mooring cover appears to be a hassle.  I have a covered lift and prefer to just cover the lounges, Capt & Co-Capt seats, and console.  We'll be much more likely to spontaneously jump on the boat and go if we can do minimal uncovering.

Can anyone share their opinion of the seat covers?  How do they fit?  What holds them in place?  Is the fabric the same as the bimini fabric?  Do they look like gunny sacks?

Does anyone have photos of them installed?

Thanks in advance.

Just my 2 cent but I can uncover my light weight mooring cover twice as fast as my father in law who has individual covers. I tie my boat to his when we visit. Plus my floor is always clean. 

There is a pontoon on our community dock that made the switch to individual seat covers and I believe that I cover my boat in the same amount of time that he does placing all the individual seat covers on as he has to crawl on his hands and knees to snap them all in at the base.

At 63 I still have no trouble putting on the mooring cover and I do it alone.  I am never in a hurry and sometimes I stop to take a sip of beer as I dangle my feet in the water and take a look at the lake I love. 

I don't believe that it will be a problem at any point of my life as I am fortunate that at a young age I had the wisdom and foresight to not take good care of myself so that I would not outlast my money

We keep ours on a covered lift and between the bird crap and spider droppings I like having it all covered. The way I look at it is I can spend my time covering it, or I can spend my time cleaning crap off it. I don't like cleaning up crap so the cover wins out. Plus it protects the investment.

We used individual seat covers on the other boat even though we had the snap-on full cover.  Our new boat (2017) has the cover with the new clip on style instead of the snaps.  With the new style clips can now cover/uncover quicker than we could do the individual seat covers on the old boat.

Just my 2 cent but I can uncover my light weight mooring cover twice as fast as my father in law who has individual covers. I tie my boat to his when we visit. Plus my floor is always clean. 

The light weight cover sounds like a good idea for those with covered lifts.  I'm sure it's easier to manage than the original mooring cover.  Where did you get it?   

We had individual covers made for our boat.  Often we just take off the console cover, captains chair and one other seat.  At my age and physical condition, I even struggle taking off an individual seat cover so a complete cover would be impossible.100_1445.jpg

Glad you found a solution that works for you!

Glad you found a solution that works for you!

It may not keep the entire pontoon as clean as possible, but does allow us to use the boat as frequently as possible.  Unfortunately, at the current time our lake is down about 4' and so there is not enough water in the canal at my house.  This means towing, inorder to use the pontoon.

Bummer! Is that a normal occurrence that your lake is down that far this time of year?

/monthly_2017_07/large.IMG_0041.JPG.e9a44b812653f1d0a17ed9ac7827c3b3.JPG/monthly_2017_07/large.IMG_0040.JPG.fc3e6508fe8300ad6f459d96c7a1991b.JPG/monthly_2017_07/large.IMG_0039.JPG.765295c1a1b0001a834d6dcacf2e2e82.JPG

These are my covers, they fit well and are easy to put on and take off. Had the playpen cover on my last boat and in my opinion these are much easier.

These are my covers, they fit well and are easy to put on and take off. Had the playpen cover on my last boat and in my opinion these are much easier.

I like those! Do you know if it affects your warranty for any flooring issues due to exposure? If I knew it wouldn't affect my flooring warranty, I would be interested in something like that. Where did you purchase and if you don't mind answering, what was  the cost?

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally, I can't imagine that the warranty could exclude coverage if a playpen cover is not used. To the best of my knowledge, a cover is optional to begin with and it would be difficult for the manufacturer to prove that it wasn't regularly used. However, don't take my word for it; find your warranty and take a look. :)

Semper, these are from Bennington. You can get these instead of the playpen. They don't show on the build site but my dealer deleted the playpen and added these. I think the price came out to be around $600. But that was the dealer taking off the playpen. A friend of mine had a canvas guy make his and they were &1200. These also have the clips for the rails much easier than snaps, and it's the same material as the Bimini. I'm very happy with them, light weight and easy to clean.

Does bird crap wash out of seagrass easily? The barn swallows are so bad at our place there would be poop everywhere on that floor. I hate those things (birds that is, covers look top notch) .

Does bird crap wash out of seagrass easily? The barn swallows are so bad at our place there would be poop everywhere on that floor. I hate those things (birds that is, covers look top notch) .

From personal experience, NO. I can't even leave it one night and the swallows splatter all over it. It does clean up, but not without some serious effort.

We don't have barn swallows but we do have rats with wings. There won't be a bird in the sky and throw a piece of bread in the water and 50 will appear out of nowhere. Number 1 rule Don't feed the seagulls!

Back