Seat drainage

big shooter

Reaction score
Can anyone that has a 2021 or 2022 Bennington confirm if there are drain holes in the bottom of the seat compartments? I have a 2021 L series and there are no holes. That means any water that gets in the compartment stays in. I have to take a towel to them regularly. The drains under the cushion keeps most water out but not all.

I had asked that they put the holes in and they agreed, but never did.

My dealer picked up my boat in the fall and it was bone dry. It must have rained before they put it away. When I got it back today there was a little mold on everything in the one compartment along with a half gallon of old water.

I spoke to them and they will make it right, replace the moldy lines and life jacket. They also offered to clean it but I would have to lose the boat for a few days, so I will try myself first. Good dealer in my opinion they didn't compound the mistake by taking a hard line.

I once again told them they were supposed to put drain holes in and she thought Bennington changed the design and no longer has drain holes. I am wondering if that is anyone else's experience? Terrible idea but I suspect that is not the case.

Attachments

• 20220519_151507.jpg
    20220519_151507.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 39
  • 20220519_151102.jpg
    20220519_151102.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 39
  • 20220519_151059.jpg
    20220519_151059.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 39
I drilled holes in the compartments in my last boat, a 2011 GCW. Make sure you scout the locations carefully so you don't drill into a cross member or wire. I angled my holes towards the stern so the compartments wouldn't take on water while zipping along. I'm trying to remember what size I did. Probably 1/2". I wouldn't go smaller than that because they clog pretty easily with just the slightest bit of debris.

I have a one month old 2022 Q and it has drain holes in the little ledge the cushions are on. No holes in bottom of compartments. The theory seems to be keep water from getting to bottom of compartments.

I drilled holes in the compartments in my last boat, a 2011 GCW. Make sure you scout the locations carefully so you don't drill into a cross member or wire. I angled my holes towards the stern so the compartments wouldn't take on water while zipping along. I'm trying to remember what size I did. Probably 1/2". I wouldn't go smaller than that because they clog pretty easily with just the slightest bit of debris.
I was planning to drill them out the side not the bottom. Like they used to do

I have a one month old 2022 Q and it has drain holes in the little ledge the cushions are on. No holes in bottom of compartments. The theory seems to be keep water from getting to bottom of compartments.
Thanks. That theory would work if they made the tops completely waterproof. But my experience is they are not. They do a decent job of keeping water out. But I would pull your life jackets, etc regularly just to check underneath

Yep I’ve been leaving the seats up on most days.

Over the years this hole subject reappears … … lol!!! See what I did there?
Seriously, it’s been hit and miss with boats being drilled or not. Simple fix but make sure if you drill at angle coming out of base, you don’t drill into flooring where it’s visible. Mines drilled at corners but at angle you can’t see from seating area. Even with holes, you’ll still get some moisture collecting so be careful sticking water wicking items in the compartments.

I was cleaning up the benny yesterday and remembered your post. My 2021 SSBX has drain holes on the bottom so that any water in the seat compartment drains out. Hope that helps my friend.

Well I put 1/2inch drain holes in each compartment. it won't get all the water out but it will at least keep most of the compartment from sitting in water.

I was also able to clean up the mold. I used simple green and a pressure washer, repeat, repeat. Now we will keep a very close eye on it. I only put the minimum stuff in the compartments and will check it every day to see if any mold comes back.

Well I put 1/2inch drain holes in each compartment. it won't get all the water out but it will at least keep most of the compartment from sitting in water.

I was also able to clean up the mold. I used simple green and a pressure washer, repeat, repeat. Now we will keep a very close eye on it. I only put the minimum stuff in the compartments and will check it every day to see if any mold comes back.
My 2021 L doesn’t have holes either in the bottom, just the edges.

Worst part was one day I was trying to get the water out after doing a wash down and had my hand in the bin, trying to soak water up, the flooring inside the compartment is very sharp in the corners with how the material settled, little spikes. Ran hand right into those raised little spikes and it felt like 20 needles right into my hand. Sucked.

Funny you mentioned that, I found two screws sticking into compartment with black silicone on them. Apparently the silicone was to prevent the screws from poking anything, well it doesn’t work. Tomorrow a dremal will smooth those guys out. Shouldn’t be me doing it, but I’m sure I can do a better job than the factory.

I have a 2014 that didn't have holes in the seat bases. I put dry in the bottom of the compartments and drilled holes toward the stern of the compartments. I went with 3\8" holes, and so far, haven't had a problem with clogging. The dry deck definitely keeps the mold down as air can get under there.

Back