Shims in my 200hp Suzuki out of specs

SpartyBob

Reaction score
My boat just got it's end of season service and the mechanic has advised that the shims in the motor (a 200 hp Suzuki) no longer meet the manufacturer's specs & have to be adjusted. To do it will require a day to a day and a half of labor - approx $1 - 1.5K. I have a 2017 24 SPDX tritoon. Anyone heard of this & any comments would be appreciated. Thanks,

I would contact Suzuki . You can Google their contact info .

Thanks, good tip. I’ve been in contact with the dealer that sold me the boat, Dewitt Marine, but am still waiting for a return call … However I just went on the Suzuki site & filled out their dealer contact form, which goes to Dewitt via Suzuki, so at least there’s something on record.

the shims in the motor (a 200 hp Suzuki) no longer meet the manufacturer's specs & have to be adjusted. To do it will require a day to a day and a half of labor - approx $1 - 1.5K. I have a 2017 24 SPDX tritoon.
This is crazy. So many questions. Can you post some pics?
Did this dealer install the offending shims?
Did the offending shims meet the manufacturer's spec when the boat was purchased from this dealer?
I've never heard of outboard motor shims. Are they between the transom and the motor? Why would it take a day to a day and a half to swap them?
What, exactly, is different between the current shims and the different shims currently specified by the manufacturer?

Did the offending shims meet the manufacturer's spec when the boat was purchased from this dealer?
I've never heard of outboard motor shims. Are they between the transom and the motor? Why would it take a day to a day and a half to swap them?
What, exactly, is different between the current shims and the different shims currently specified by the manufacturer?
Ditto every question. Whole situation on a 2017 seems weird.

I guess its either valvetrain shims

or its gearcase shims on the lower unit for fwd and reverse.

Last edited:
Shims?!? Do they wear out or what?!?

I don’t know what shims are in this case. My boat is stored and maintained by our dock installer, NorthShore Dock in Kewadin, MI. I will find out more regarding the shims. Thanks all for your input.

1.5 days of labor sounds completely unreasonable. It's probably the valve clearance check scheduled for your engine every 200-300 hours and while it may (or may not) be out of spec, I think it's also important to consider how FAR out of spec a particular valve is. Very close to spec? Maybe just keep an eye on it. Far out of spec? Maybe it just makes noise, or the valve itself is wearing and shim needs replacement.

OP do a search on a site like THT where you'll find many more experts on the matter. Many engines never have these checked or adjusted and live happy, long noisy lives. OR it could end up voiding your warranty down the road. A second opinion from another dealer might also prove instructive (especially if they can provide the measurements to you to cross-verify against the original dealer).

Any new info on if the "shims" are in the power head or the lower unit? In any event, this sounds suspiciously like parts that were not properly heat-treated or not the correct alloy. IF SO, this should be along the lines of a recall and not totally owner responsibility. Good luck, stay alert to this as a problem with EOM defective parts...

Last edited:
I have the same motor. I’m following to see the outcome.

I am going to assume your motors valve lash no longer meets spec and will require a different thickness shim to bring it into spec. Attached is a screen shot of your valve train. The shim is part #13. I have done this job on a Suzuki motor and have had it done on a Yamaha motor. Both motors where in snowmobiles but the basic design of the valve train is the same. The Yamaha required camshaft removal taking a full day by a skilled mechanic. Most mechanics might use the same process with the Suzuki but when I worked on my snowmobile there was tool available that eliminated camshaft removal. Camshaft removal is more than half the job. I made my own tool but it still took me far more than a day because I am no mechanic.1668026621812.jpeg

Back