SHOCKED 27MPH SSLX 24

Sebagobrew

Reaction score
HEY GUYS; I GOT A CALL OFF THE WATER FROM MY MARINA. TWO GUYS, FULL FUEL, LIGHT CHOP. THE BOAT DID 25.2 INTO THE WIND, AND 27 WITH IT. I MAY HAVE FORGOTTEN TO SAY THAT I HAVE THE 25" UPGRADE TUBES AND SHE IS 24FT WHICH IRONICLY CAN GO FASTER UNDER POWER THEN A SHORTER TUBE. I DON'T KNOW WHAT PROP THEY ENDED UP WITH (THEY TOOK THREE) BUT IT IS STAINLESS STEEL. I LIKE THIS BENNINGTON ALREADY. I WAS READY TO DROP 2K FOR A 115 UPGRADE. GO SUZUKI!

Wow, that's pretty impressive. I have a 90hp yamaha and even on the smoothest day, just me and the wife, 22-23mph gps. Aluminum prop, but I don't think the stainless would do that kind of difference. Although I do know a few posted faster results with a different pitch. Oh and it's on a 20ft, twin tube 25".

Gotta love the Suzuki power. I have a good friend who is in sales at the local Premier / Xcursion (SouthBay) dealership. He sells Mercury and Yamaha. Used to sell Johnsons too. He always playfully disagrees with me about which 4 stroke is better. Even though I used to race Yamaha and Mercury 2 stroke outboards, I am a strong believer in Suzuki and Yamaha 4 strokes. He, on the other hand, loves the new Verados. He always tells me how a Verado 150 will out accelerate my Suzuki (yes...we race our tritoons LOL!) and I keep telling him to "just keep believing that" and bring one out. I've managed to handily whoop up on every Verado so far, so I'm still waiting for his. He's not a Suzuki fan since he doesn't sell them (typical salesman LOL!), but he always wondered why Johnson quit making 4 strokes. He swears that the Johnsons where the best 4 strokes ever made and that the dealership never had one come back for repairs, just normal service. I haven't taken the opportunity (yet) to inform him that the Johnson 4 strokes were 100% Suzuki, just painted white. I'm saving that "bomb" for the day I slap his Verado around like an ugly red-headed stepchild.

From one happy Suzuki owner to another.

Enjoy your new Bennington!

Last edited by a moderator:
Gotta love the Suzuki power. I have a good friend who is in sales at the local Premier / Xcursion (SouthBay) dealership. He sells Mercury and Yamaha. Used to sell Johnsons too. He always playfully disagrees with me about which 4 stroke is better. Even though I used to race Yamaha and Mercury 2 stroke outboards, I am a strong believer in Suzuki and Yamaha 4 strokes. He, on the other hand, loves the new Verados. He always tells me how a Verado 150 will out accelerate my Suzuki (yes...we race our tritoons LOL!) and I keep telling him to "just keep believing that" and bring one out. I've managed to handily whoop up on every Verado so far, so I'm still waiting for his. He's not a Suzuki fan since he doesn't sell them (typical salesman LOL!), but he always wondered why Johnson quit making 4 strokes. He swears that the Johnsons where the best 4 strokes ever made and that the dealership never had one come back for repairs, just normal service. I haven't taken the opportunity (yet) to inform him that the Johnson 4 strokes were 100% Suzuki, just painted white. I'm saving that "bomb" for the day I slap his Verado around like an ugly red-headed stepchild.

From one happy Suzuki owner to another.

Enjoy your new Bennington!

Thanks for the Suzuki fan mail! This is the first one I have ever owned. I have run Tohatsu's for years and always admired them, but my dealer went out of business. So when I bought the Benny I asked what they had...viola a 90 Suzuki was the answer. Unfortunately here in Maine we have slipped back into seasonal weather, cold, snow and ^&*()_+/ :( Looking forward to warm summer days and my first toon ride. Should be a great summer.

Hey Sebago....I just bought a new 2275 RCW (probably from the same marina you did as it is on Sebago Lake as well) with the Suzuki 140. I've read great things about the Suzuki's but its nice to see some good feedback here as well.

I'll be picking it up tomorrow if this damn rain slows down.

I'm sure I'll see ya out on the water soon, I was hoping to go out this sunday if its nice - i'm jealous of all these guys posting on here down south who have been on the water for a month or two already.

Hey, Ben. I'm red headed. No, just kidding.

The Verado's are really great motors, and the supercharger should make them plenty torquey. My problem with the Verado is that the dealer's going to charge you $3000 for "setup" plus everything high tech is so expensive. You've got the fly by wire SmartDrive throttle/gearshift. You've also got the $1000m multi-function tachometer with built in flowmeters and other things. I've tried to read about them online, but it would take an electrical engineer to figure out how to hook up everything. And we all know that high tech comes at a price. Thousand here, thousand there. Before long, you've spent a small fortune on nothing functional. At least their integral power steering is better priced than SeaStar's power steering unit.

I heard great things about the Suzuki's at the boat show earlier this year, especially the 140 hp model. But, with their 150 hp, you get another 50 cubic inches. The 150 is heavier, but cubic inches are hard to overcome--and I'd go with it. And, Suzuki's are not geared like a bass boat engine--2.5:1 is a pretty low ratio that'd be good on a party barge.

On the negative side, I've just heard complaints about the prices of Suzuki parts and they lack the dealer base of the "big 3." There again, maybe part purchases will seldom be needed.

It'll be nice to see how the new Mercury 150 hp works out. On paper, it looks great. You can hook it up high tech or with old style cables and gauges. It also can be bought for under $10K. I'm old school, and don't really need all the new fangled stuff on an inland lake. When my gas gauge gets low, I just fill it up.

Heck, I'm so old school, I only carry a cell phone so I can call my neighbors to tow me in if my pontoon boat breaks down. With a cell phone, it's hard to hide on the lake.

I like the Verados. I'm with you though, there's just a tad bit too much technology for my taste. I like to do most of the mechanical work on my engines if I'm able, but I'd be totally lost if I had a an electrical issue on my Verado.....I'm no electrician by any means. Basics...yes, Verado.... no.

We actually had a Suzuki DF140 on our Benny originally. An excellent motor. I swapped out to the 150 just for the reasons you mention. We like to cruise quite often in the 27-32 mph range. I didn't like turning the 140 at 4500-5000 rpm's all the time. The DF150 has the benefit of more cubes and the larger gearcase. Instead of the smaller gearcase which ran up to a 14" diameter prop, the larger gearcase can (and does) run a 16" diameter prop. A large diameter prop = better cruising. It's amazing at just how much better the 150 cruises in the midrange. I also picked up quite a few mph. The DF140 is on the downside of the hp percentage rule and actually dynos at about 126hp, therefore, the 150 was a nice step up in performance. We barely noticed the extra 60 lbs of the 150 hanging on the back of our RL2050.

Now for the all new Mercury 150 four stroke. I had the chance to run one the other day. It was a very nice running motor, but it had a slight vibration. It lacks the "Swiss watch" running characteristics of the Suziki, Yamaha, or Verado. It's a price-point motor in the 150hp class for Mercury. It should be a great motor nonetheless.

FYI, the Suzuki DF150 can be bought for under 10K also, and IMHO, it's without a doubt a step above the new Merc.

Parts prices are expensive across the board.

Hey Indy:

We have a slip at the Marina. Ours is #227, Our boat is a 24footer with a full "black" navy top. We got a great deal at Maine Canvas, new bimini, side curtains and rear sleeping curtain over our lounger. My wife and I have ten and a half hours on the motor so far (about four good rides around Sebago). We have found a bunch of sand beaches to pull up on and can not wait until you can actually play in the water (46 degrees Sat.).

Was your boat the used black one they were selling out on the main drag. That is the boat that got us started. I saw that and loved it, but we were able to get this new one for shorter cash, and of course the six year on the motor.

Still love the Suzuki. My only complaint is that it is too quiet. When I am around the docks she is so silent that I have a hard time sensing my engine activity. Started looking at the tach more!

The 90 is a gas mizer. We are getting about three hours of cruising at variable speeds (including travel plane) on 5 gal of gas. My old boat would have eaten three times as much. The 24 footer handles white caps like they are a joke. Up on plane she just chuggs along. She reminds me of a Lobster boat!

Good luck with your boat. Hope to see you on the lake.

Sebagobrew

One nice thing about the Suzuki. Six year bumper to bumper. So I ain't worry'n bout noth'n for several more Coronas.

yes mine is the 2011 they had out on 302...picking it up in a few hours....i'll see you on the water - we wont have a slip at richardsons because we have a camp up on Great Pond in Belgrade but I live near Sebago so we are out there a lot too...cant wait to get out on the lake, I'm thinking monday/tuesday next week looks warm enough to go.

that is a beautiful boat. we loved it. enjoy and i hope she brings you a bunch of compliments.

Back